Re: [S-R] Handwriting/translation help needed

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2013
      I can get you partway there:

      Extirpat quot cubulos P[???]--how many [volume of grain] [??] rooted out. A cubulus is about 17 gallons

      Prata quot Falca[??]--meadows, how many cleared

      See in our own archives message #16477.

      See also: Margo L. Smith, "The 1715 Tax List in Slovak Family History Research," Nase Rodina: Quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International 20 (March 2008), pp. 36-40. Margo points out that 3.25 cubuli of wheat would have been about 500 lbs, and that an extended family could eat about 250 lbs of wheat in a year. (p. 38)

      ~ Julie Michutka

      Extirpatura is has a slovak equivalent "Kopanice".
      This is land, usually on hills, which was won by cutting the trees and
      cultivation.
      Extirpo - to extirpate, deracinate
      Half of english words, if not more, have latin roots. This is why the Webster is
      so thick.
      Vladimir
      On May 10, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Anabeth Dollins wrote:

      > This is a link to a page from the 1715 census:
      > http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/brezova1715p275.html
      >
      > Can someone tell me the meanings of the headings of columns 3 and 4?
      >

      > Thanks --
      >
      > Anabeth
    • Anabeth Dollins
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2013