Handwriting/translation help needed

  • Anabeth Dollins
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2013
      This is a link to a page from the 1715 census:
      http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/brezova1715p275.html

      Can someone tell me the meanings of the headings of columns 3 and 4?

      Thanks --

      Anabeth

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2013
        I can get you partway there:

        Extirpat quot cubulos P[???]--how many [volume of grain] [??] rooted out. A cubulus is about 17 gallons

        Prata quot Falca[??]--meadows, how many cleared

        See in our own archives message #16477.

        See also: Margo L. Smith, "The 1715 Tax List in Slovak Family History Research," Nase Rodina: Quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International 20 (March 2008), pp. 36-40. Margo points out that 3.25 cubuli of wheat would have been about 500 lbs, and that an extended family could eat about 250 lbs of wheat in a year. (p. 38)

        ~ Julie Michutka

        Extirpatura is has a slovak equivalent "Kopanice".
        This is land, usually on hills, which was won by cutting the trees and
        cultivation.
        Extirpo - to extirpate, deracinate
        Half of english words, if not more, have latin roots. This is why the Webster is
        so thick.
        Vladimir
        On May 10, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Anabeth Dollins wrote:

        > This is a link to a page from the 1715 census:
        > http://www.personal.psu.edu/axd2/genealogy/brezova1715p275.html
        >
        > Can someone tell me the meanings of the headings of columns 3 and 4?
        >

        > Thanks --
        >
        > Anabeth
      • Anabeth Dollins
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2013