Translation of a death record

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2013
      I've uploaded an image to the files section of the forum. I am trying to translate the information on the 1749 death record for Pauli Kotlar. There is a word before his name that looks like Ana or possibly Aria that I don't find in my Latin dictionary. Also, in the age column, the word "unjus" appears. I suppose it might mean "unknown" but I'm not sure. And finally, I don't understand what is in the last two columns. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

      Pauli Kotlar record is the 2nd one in 1749.

      Thanks,
      CK
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2013
        On May 10, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Carl wrote:

        > I've uploaded an image to the files section of the forum. I am trying to translate the information on the 1749 death record for Pauli Kotlar. There is a word before his name that looks like Ana or possibly Aria that I don't find in my Latin dictionary. Also, in the age column, the word "unjus" appears. I suppose it might mean "unknown" but I'm not sure. And finally, I don't understand what is in the last two columns. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Pauli Kotlar record is the 2nd one in 1749.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > CK

        [name and any other identifying info]: Anna Pauli Kotlar et Suzanna consortis ejus = Anna, [daughter of] Paul Kotlar and Susanna his wife [line over letter n doubles it]

        [age]; A. unjus = anni unius =of one year

        [religion, I think]: Inf. = Infans = very young

        [place of burial?] In Coem. = In coementerio = in [the local] cemetery

        ~ Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Julie Michutka
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2013
          On May 10, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Julie Michutka wrote:

          > [name and any other identifying info]: Anna Pauli Kotlar et Suzanna consortis ejus = Anna, [daughter of] Paul Kotlar and Susanna his wife [line over letter n doubles it]

          That should be Suzannae (ending in -ae): genitive case, "of Suzanna" (as is Pauli)

          Notice the different terminal -a when it is the name of the deceased person (for example, Anna two lines further down) versus when it is the name of the mother of the deceased (for example, the mother of the deceased in that same entry)

          ~ Julie, again

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2013
            Thanks Julie and I think I must be going stir crazy after looking at a film for the last couple of days. Of course this is the death record for Ana and not Pauli. I was looking for Pauli's record so hard that I got blinded when I saw his name. How embarrassing!
            Thanks again,
            CK
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

            > On May 10, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Carl wrote:
            >
            > > I've uploaded an image to the files section of the forum. I am trying to translate the information on the 1749 death record for Pauli Kotlar. There is a word before his name that looks like Ana or possibly Aria that I don't find in my Latin dictionary. Also, in the age column, the word "unjus" appears. I suppose it might mean "unknown" but I'm not sure. And finally, I don't understand what is in the last two columns. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > > Pauli Kotlar record is the 2nd one in 1749.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > CK
            > >

            > [name and any other identifying info]: Anna Pauli Kotlar et Suzanna consortis ejus = Anna, [daughter of] Paul Kotlar and Susanna his wife [line over letter n doubles it]
            >
            > [age]; A. unjus = anni unius =of one year
            >
            > [religion, I think]: Inf. = Infans = very young
            >
            > [place of burial?] In Coem. = In coementerio = in [the local] cemetery
            >

            > ~ Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2013
              Nothing to be embarrassed about; we all need fresh eyes to look at a record for us from time to time.

              ~ Julie