Question about family search

  • a2bmartha
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2013
      I was shocked to find family on this website. I had no idea that my great grandfather had sisters and brothers and that some of them lived in the same town. We use to have large family reunions and I don't remember these family members being there. I was young so maybe they were there. Anyway, so I do not have much information when going back to Slovenia to find family. When there are so many people with the same name, how do you verify it is someone from your family when you don't know much about these other family members? Like even which town they were from or their birthdate. It seems like in my research a lot of families have a lot of Maria's, Irene's, Michael's, Helen's, Antony's and August's. What's the best way to verify the info you find?
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2013
        >>> What's the best way to verify the info you find? <<<

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia

        By the way, this web site does not cover SLOVENIA.
      • Allison W
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2013
          Oops Sorry, that's the other side of family. Thanks for the direction.

          On May 9, 2013, at 10:10 AM, "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
          > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
          >
          > FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
          >
          > By the way, this web site does not cover SLOVENIA.

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2013
            You do realize this is a Slovak genealogy group and not a Slovenia one?
            Since you have not given the surname it is not possible to know if it is a Slovak one.
            Given names were often very few within a family since the tradition of naming the first born after the parents.
            Records, records, records are the means of verification.