New Member- Researching Vyšná Jablonka- Gula Family

  • tennis34677
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8 11:53 AM
      Hello,
      I am researching John and Anna Gula of Scranton, PA as well as their son-in-law, William Hassick.

      This is what we know for sure:

      John Gula was born June 10, 1874 according to his naturalization papers. He indicated he was from "Yablunka, Hungary" and came to America, arriving in New York on January 15, 1890. He emigrated from Rotterdam on the ship "Rotterdam." He was naturalized on June 11, 1912.

      Anna Charochak Gula, according to census reports, was born in "Austria." She married John Gula in PA on June 23, 1895. They had the following children:

      Annie born Jessup, PA 8/16/1896
      Mary born Pittsburgh, PA 8/26/1898
      John born Scranton, PA 8/13/1902
      William born Scranton, PA 1/8/1904
      Julia born Scranton, PA 2/8/1907
      Michael born Scranton, PA 8/17/1908
      Susanna born Scranton, PA 6/30/1913

      According to her children's marriage records, Anna's maiden name is spelled "Charochak" and "Churchak." Although it is clear these spellings are wrong.

      John and Anna lived the majority of their lives in Scranton, PA. They are both buried in St. John's Byzantine Catholic Cemetery in Scranton, PA.

      Anna Gula did return to Jablonka with her children Anna and Mary in 1901. Based on a passenger list, they arrived in NY, 11/4/1901, on the ship Southwark from Antwerp, indicating they were coming from "Felso Jablonka" and were meeting their husband/father John Gula. This might indicate Anna was also born in Jablonka as she visited independently of her husband.

      John and Anna's daughter, Annie, is our ancestor. She married William Hassick October 22, 1911 in Scranton, PA.

      They had the following children: Mary, Anna, Helen, John and Michael.

      William Hassick was born January 8, 1891 in "Austria-Hungary" according to his census reports. His year of arrival is 1909. He lived the majority of his life in Scranton, PA and died in Binghamton, NY.

      His named is spelled on official documents as Hassick, but on his Draft Registration papers he signed it "Haszich." He was buried in St. Lawrence's Roman Catholic Cemetery in New Milford, PA.

      Now is the conjecture:

      I have had a look at the church records from Vyšná Jablonka on Family Search. I have found a Joannes Gula recorded as baptized in the Greek Catholic church records 13/14 June, 1875. This is the closest fit to John Gula, in Jablonka. Parents of this Joannes Gula are indicated as Andreas Gula and Anna Nechtylia. It appears they live in House No. 49?

      Understandably, these records are quite difficult to read, but I believe his godparents read as "(Joan?)nes Farkaly and (Tat?)iana Bhrco.

      Andreas Gula and Anna Nechtylia also had a daughter named Maria, baptized in 1885. Her godparents appear to be Michael Kurzky and Luk(aen?). Both Joannes and Maria are baptized by Chryomanthus Hobermansky (sp?).

      I did find an Anna Nechtylia, with the same spelling in Nižné Zbojné, Humenné, Slovakia, baptized December 14, 1845. Her parents are listed as Andros Nechtylia and Maria (?).

      Based on this information and other information I have found on the internet, I'm thinking these families are Rusyn, at least John Gula and his wife.

      I'm looking for any guidance you'd be able to offer, especially if you can help me find other records besides the baptismal records. Thank you in advance!
    • deeellessbee
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 1:34 PM
        Hello tennis!

        Welcome to the group. According to the marriage record on the Lackawanna County records website for John Gula and Annie Charowejak, John's parents are Andrew and Anne (or possibly Annie). If you were not aware of this marriage record, it would corroborate what you found in the baptism records in regard to John's parents' names.

        Annie's parents are John and Anne (or again, possibly Annie). No further birth info give, just the usual "Austria".

        If you don't already have it, I have pasted below the link to the Lackawanna County records. Hopefully this will work for you. The sight can be a bit user-unfriendly but well worth it for those with ancestors in the county.

        http://www.lpa-homes.org/iclook/LPA_Applications/LPA_Applications.htm

        Hope this helps
        Debbie

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tennis34677" <tennis34677@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Understandably, these records are quite difficult to read, but I believe his godparents read as "(Joan?)nes Farkaly and (Tat?)iana Bhrco.
        >
        > Andreas Gula and Anna Nechtylia also had a daughter named Maria, baptized in 1885. Her godparents appear to be Michael Kurzky and Luk(aen?). Both Joannes and Maria are baptized by Chryomanthus Hobermansky (sp?).
        >
        > I did find an Anna Nechtylia, with the same spelling in Nižné Zbojné, Humenné, Slovakia, baptized December 14, 1845. Her parents are listed as Andros Nechtylia and Maria (?).
        >
        > Based on this information and other information I have found on the internet, I'm thinking these families are Rusyn, at least John Gula and his wife.
        >
        > I'm looking for any guidance you'd be able to offer, especially if you can help me find other records besides the baptismal records. Thank you in advance!

      • lrrykck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 2:58 PM
          Hi

           I attached a media article...could this be another son of William? The date doesn't match for William, husband of your Anna.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 4 , May 10 3:36 PM
            There is not “Yablunka” found in Slovakia. There a two possibilities:
            Vyšná Jablonka HE/PV zemplín.
            1773 Felső-Jablanka, Wisna Jablanka, 1786 Felschő-Jablonka, 1808 Felső-Jablónka, Horní Jabloňka, Wyšssí Jabloňka, 1863–1902 Felsőjablonka, 1907–1913 Felsőalmád, 1920– Vyšná Jablonka

            Nižná Jablonka HE/PV zemplín.
            1773 Alsó-Jablanka, Nisna Jablonka, 1786 Alschó-Jablonka, 1808 Alsó-Jablónka, Dolní Jabloňka, Nižssí Jabloňka, 1863–1902 Alsójablonka, 1907–1913 Alsóalmád, 1920– Nižná Jablonka

            The surname Gula:
            Priezvisko GUĽA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 154×, celkový počet lokalít: 50, This spelling had 154 listing in 50 location in the 1995 Slovak Census.
            Priezvisko GULA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 415×, celkový počet lokalít: 116 This one 415 listing in 116 locations in the census.
            Without a name for your ancestral Gula village it would be difficult to find which location is yours.
            There were no listings for the surname Charowejak.