Re: [S-R] Ancestors returning to homeland

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2013
      England has arrivals available...of course your ancestors would have to had returned to Europe through British ports.

      Dennis

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ja Stoll <jastoll@...> wrote:

      > I too am searching for this information regarding my ancestor who returned to Peterfalu sometime after 1906
      >
      > I was told by someone at the National Archives  to look into the ports they might have used. He suggested a German group www.theggg.org that may be able to assist since my family member originally had departed Germany for America.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Robert Wyland
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2013
        h you for this lead.  On two trips to the US, my great grandmother sailed out of Germany.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2013
          Thank you for the lead concerning the German ship manifests.  My great grandmother sailed out of Bremen and Hamburg in 1901 and 1909.  Her name is misspelled on each of those manifest sailings coming into Ellis Island but I have confirmed it is her and her children.  I have NOT found her in Velky Saris records through Family Search; however her children later came to the US and entered Velky Saris as their home in the 20's and 30's.  Her name is Maria (Mary) Seminsky, and her grave stone says Maria Seminska , died 1943.    Again, many thanks.   Wanda

          “After the outbreak of World War I, passports were required by executive order,[11] though there was no statutory authority for the requirement. During World War I (1914–1918), European countries had passport requirements. The Travel Control Act of May 22, 1918 permitted the president, when the United States was at war, to proclaim a passport requirement, and a proclamation was issued on August 18, 1918. Though World War I ended on November 11, 1918, the passport requirement lingered until March 3, 1921.[12]”
          From this information I would say no passport was needed by your great-grandmother. From previous readings I know that a majority of Slovak immigrants did return home. The idea was earn $1000 in the USA and go home to start a new life by buying land. You search would have to be for your great-grandmother’s entry port and the ship’s manifest on which she was listed. http://theggg.org/Surnamedb.asp is the link to the GGG surname database.
          Have you found your great-grandmother’s entry into the USA? What was her name? Have you found her in the Velky Saris records? I have maternal relatives from nearby Maly Saris.

[...]

        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2013
            >>> I have NOT found her in Velky Saris records through Family Search; however her children later came to the US and entered Velky Saris as their home in the 20's and 30's.<<<

            You WON'T find her because births, deaths and marriages after 1895 are in the civic records office. They are private but can be accessed in person with payment of a small fee. And no, they won't respond to an email.

            If she was born before 1895, please advise the religion and year.
          • Carl
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2013
              Can you provide us some additional information about your great grandmother? Do you know when she was born? What were the names of her children and when were they born? Was Seminska her married name or her maiden name?

              > Thank you for the lead concerning the German ship manifests.  My great grandmother sailed out of Bremen and Hamburg in 1901 and 1909.  Her name is misspelled on each of those manifest sailings coming into Ellis Island but I have confirmed it is her and her children.  I have NOT found her in Velky Saris records through Family Search; however her children later came to the US and entered Velky Saris as their home in the 20's and 30's.  Her name is Maria (Mary) Seminsky, and her grave stone says Maria Seminska , died 1943.    Again, many thanks.   Wanda

            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 10 , May 8, 2013
                Wanda,
                Surnames in Slovak have a male and female form. Seminsky is male, Seminska is female.

[...]

                From this information I would say no passport was needed by your great-grandmother. From previous readings I know that a majority of Slovak immigrants did return home. The idea was earn $1000 in the USA and go home to start a new life by buying land. You search would have to be for your great-grandmother’s entry port and the ship’s manifest on which she was listed. http://theggg.org/Surnamedb.asp is the link to the GGG surname database.