Need Help Finding Grezda, Hungary

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2013
      I need help finding Grezda, Hungary during 1850 to 1905. I am researching the Sabowzki Family and that is one place they were suppose to be but I cannot locate the village. That is the only spelling I have been able to find and it was on a ship's passenger list that was written by a clerk in Bremen, Germany. Thank you for your assistance.
      Nick
    • ctverdov
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2013
        Hi,

        I think you are looking for Gnezda which is located in present day Slovakia. It's slightly northwest of Kosice. On today's map it is listed as Hniezdne and is near Stara Lubovna. I traced my family from Kosice to Stara Lubovna and Hniezdne/Gnezda. When it was known as Gnezda it was still part of Upper Hungary which was then a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After World War I it became part of Czechoslovakia and then later Slovakia.

        Hope this helps you.

        Catherine

        ctverdov
        tverdov@...

        I need help finding Grezda, Hungary during 1850 to 1905. I am researching the Sabowzki Family and that is one place they were suppose to be but I cannot locate the village. That is the only spelling I have been able to find and it was on a ship's passenger list that was written by a clerk in Bremen, Germany. Thank you for your assistance.
        Nick

      • John
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2013
          The RC church records are found online at:
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22651-29445-63?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-XLL:505385315

          Good luck.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

          > I need help finding Grezda, Hungary during 1850 to 1905. I am researching the Sabowzki Family and that is one place they were suppose to be but I cannot locate the village. That is the only spelling I have been able to find and it was on a ship's passenger list that was written by a clerk in Bremen, Germany. Thank you for your assistance.
          > Nick

        • Nick Kerpchar
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2013
            Thank you Catherine.
            Nick

            I think you are looking for Gnezda which is located in present day Slovakia. It's slightly northwest of Kosice. On today's map it is listed as Hniezdne and is near Stara Lubovna. I traced my family from Kosice to Stara Lubovna and Hniezdne/Gnezda. When it was known as Gnezda it was still part of Upper Hungary which was then a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. After World War I it became part of Czechoslovakia and then later Slovakia.

            Hope this helps you.

            Catherine

            ctverdov
            mailto:tverdov%40aol.com