Web Links to Genealogy Sites - a real problem.

  • bill_tarkulich
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2013
      I don't like to cast aspersions on any group, person or organization doing genealogy work, but I have to call out Cyndi's list. I know she is doing all this work for free and there are some interesting links. I looked at http://www.cyndislist.com/czech/ this morning and find it's full of broken links, downright errors and is rather incomplete.

      I'm saying all of this to only say it's not one-stop shopping. It's well organized and looks nice, but frustratingly, sites come and go.

      I have spent the better part of a week cleaning up my site's web links. I'll venture to say I've changed over 150. There are many sites that simply don't exist any more, but were there five years ago.

      I have taken a proactive approach to protecting myself against the loss of this info. I've been making a private copy. Another approach is to use archive.org to dig up old snapshots of web pages.

      With so many genealogists creating their own web sites, the maintenance depends on their interest and funding. Since there isn't much money to be made in genealogy, this is a problem that is going to persist.

      Even the government organizations are constantly reorganizing their sites. I'd love to think it's because the web remains in its infancy. It sure would be nice if things "settled down".

      I'd hate to see all the knowledge gained by this and other groups get lost in the ether.
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2013
        All so true Bill.
        The only way out of the situation that I have used (on non gen projects
        btw) is to download the actual site using free utilities that can set up to
        scan and download the actual content of links to whatever level or depth
        that you need.
        In other words, you have a local copy of the website on your hard drive and
        as deep as you need.
        Unfortunately this method has some serious drawbacks, like using massive
        amounts of HD space, downloading content that you don't require (like ads,
        images, gifs etc) and doesn't download DBase content without manipulation.
        It is a way forward, mirroring valuable sites that you can access at any
        time but you do need some knowledge of html and a reasonably sophisticated
        indexing system. In this way one can preserve sites and site contents. If
        the site has disappeared and archive.org has no snapshot or the data has
        gone, then you can't do much about it :(

        Peter M.

        On 28 April 2013 00:00, bill_tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I don't like to cast aspersions on any group, person or organization doing
        > genealogy work, but I have to call out Cyndi's list. I know she is doing
        > all this work for free and there are some interesting links. I looked at
        > http://www.cyndislist.com/czech/ this morning and find it's full of
        > broken links, downright errors and is rather incomplete.
        >
        > I'm saying all of this to only say it's not one-stop shopping. It's well
        > organized and looks nice, but frustratingly, sites come and go.
        >
        > I have spent the better part of a week cleaning up my site's web links.
        > I'll venture to say I've changed over 150. There are many sites that simply
        > don't exist any more, but were there five years ago.
        >
        > I have taken a proactive approach to protecting myself against the loss of
        > this info. I've been making a private copy. Another approach is to use
        > archive.org to dig up old snapshots of web pages.
        >
        > With so many genealogists creating their own web sites, the maintenance
        > depends on their interest and funding. Since there isn't much money to be
        > made in genealogy, this is a problem that is going to persist.
        >
        > Even the government organizations are constantly reorganizing their sites.
        > I'd love to think it's because the web remains in its infancy. It sure
        > would be nice if things "settled down".
        >
        > I'd hate to see all the knowledge gained by this and other groups get lost
        > in the ether.

      • jdkocis
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2013
          Question: Did you click the appropriate link on http://www.cyndislist.com/ to Report a Broken Link, and help to resolve the problem, or just post here?