Re: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Dolyak/slovensko/

      ________________________________
      From: Julie Mark <jkmark@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 3:12 PM
      Subject: RE: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records

      Hi John - yes, I downloaded a record just a few weeks ago. Here is the
      info:

      Dolyak, Misko 48 laborurer Ruthenian Orlo Passaic NJ self $34
      (.and then the part I was looking for help on)

      Port of arrival is NY

      Left Bremen on July 2, 1904 and arrived on July 13, 1904

      Ship was the Barbarossa

      In my opinion, the writing on his record is not hard to decipher, but I did
      try to search with just parts of words. Thanks for your help.

      Julie

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
        Julie, with your SZTENGA info, the surname definitely is written as STEGENA(without the Z which is used in one of the languages, maybe Slovak).
        --------------------------------

        John,
        I find the manifests:
        Series Roll Volume Year Month Day Frame Text Ship Port FHL roll
        1 T715 476 936 1904 July 13 439 text barbarossa Bremen/Cherbourg 1399161

        Entries 1 to 1 out of 1
        -----------------

        Now I'm trying to understand finding the actual page, which I already know from viewing on Ancestry. IF I didn't have that info, is there no other method short of viewing each manifest page??
        And THX, I hadn't attempted using the lost manifest search in many years.

        TOM

        > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
        > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
        > > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
        > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
        > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
        > >

        > > I appreciate everyone's help!
        > >

        > > Julie

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
          Hi Julie - i have seen letters at the time of the big emigration and they combine the strangest variety of Slovakacized English and bits of other languages in the area - has anyone ever run across this?

          maybe Majk is an example of this for the American nickname Mike.

          helene

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 28, 2013
            Thank you Tom!

            , "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

            > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:

            > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before -
            > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name
            is
            > > Sztegena - and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled
            Szegena
            > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle - unless of course
            my
            > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
            > >

            > > I appreciate everyone's help!
            > >

            > > Julie

          • Ja Stoll
            Message 5 of 26 , May 5, 2013
              I have also had this happen where I knew i saw a record on EI and went back another day and could not locate it.  I think it is their system.  Just keep trying and search different ways.  Sometimes in one sitting i try and get a no results then try again and locate the record