Re: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Stegena/slovensko/

      ________________________________
      From: John <johnqadam@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 5:12 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records

      Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

      > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
      > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
      > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
      > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
      > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
      >

      > I appreciate everyone's help!
      >

      > Julie

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
        http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Dolyak/slovensko/

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
          Julie, with your SZTENGA info, the surname definitely is written as STEGENA(without the Z which is used in one of the languages, maybe Slovak).
          --------------------------------

          John,
          I find the manifests:
          Series Roll Volume Year Month Day Frame Text Ship Port FHL roll
          1 T715 476 936 1904 July 13 439 text barbarossa Bremen/Cherbourg 1399161

          Entries 1 to 1 out of 1
          -----------------

          Now I'm trying to understand finding the actual page, which I already know from viewing on Ancestry. IF I didn't have that info, is there no other method short of viewing each manifest page??
          And THX, I hadn't attempted using the lost manifest search in many years.

          TOM

          > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
          > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
          > > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
          > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
          > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
          > >

          > > I appreciate everyone's help!
          > >

          > > Julie

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
            Hi Julie - i have seen letters at the time of the big emigration and they combine the strangest variety of Slovakacized English and bits of other languages in the area - has anyone ever run across this?

            maybe Majk is an example of this for the American nickname Mike.

            helene

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 28, 2013
              Thank you Tom!

              , "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

              > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:

              > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before -
              > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name
              is
              > > Sztegena - and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled
              Szegena
              > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle - unless of course
              my
              > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
              > >

              > > I appreciate everyone's help!
              > >

              > > Julie

            • Ja Stoll
              Message 6 of 26 , May 5, 2013
                I have also had this happen where I knew i saw a record on EI and went back another day and could not locate it.  I think it is their system.  Just keep trying and search different ways.  Sometimes in one sitting i try and get a no results then try again and locate the record