Re: Ellis Island Records

  • t.salony
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
      Julie,
      Misko had previously been in Lecrone,Pa(1900/1902) and is now going to uncle ?Majk Hegena?(lots of estimating there) "Leg_nstr. 40, Passaic N.J.

      TOM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

      > Julie,
      > Id it possible you had found it originally using another site, for example Ancestry? It is showing correctly there!
      >
      > TOM
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:
      > >
      > > John – when I put in the arrival date, ship name and port it says "none
      > > found".
      > >

      > > I'm really just puzzled why I was able to effortlessly happened upon this
      > > record when I did a search for all Dolyaks a couple months ago, and now it's
      > > not in the list (there are about 50 Dolyaks who came thru Ellis Island).

    • Julie Mark
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
        Thanks Tom. I don’t have access to Ancestry, but now that you mention it,
        there was a free viewing period of immigration records and I bet that’s when
        I found it. Why would ancestry have that record and not the EI website? Oh
        well. thank you so much!

        , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

        > John – when I put in the arrival date, ship name and port it says "none
        > found".
        >

        > I'm really just puzzled why I was able to effortlessly happened upon this
        > record when I did a search for all Dolyaks a couple months ago, and now
        it's
        > not in the list (there are about 50 Dolyaks who came thru Ellis Island).
        >

        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        ] On
        > Behalf Of John
        > Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 12:35 PM
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records
        >

        > MISSING ELLIS ISLAND MANIFESTS (MM)
        > Steve Morse's "missing manifest" function when scrolling through a film.
        It
        > allows you to jump 1, 2, 3 pages at a time and jump to specific frame
        > (page). Review the entire ship's manifest.
        >
        > To use MM, http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/mm.htm you will need to
        > start with the date of arrival, and find that roll. Then find the
        particular
        > ship (by name, usually in an index at the beginning of the roll). Then
        > "scroll" to the beginning of the manifest and off you go. These are the
        same
        > images that EI uses. In fact, MM is just an alternative method of
        accessing
        > them.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        > , David Colello <dcolello@> wrote:

        > > Hmm...or maybe not. Got the last name and the correct arrival date and
        > boat, but the actual image doesn't seem to have the entry.
        > > David
        > >

        > > ________________________________
        > > From: David Colello <dcolello@>
        > > To: "SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        NM=DOLYAK&PLNM=DOLYAK&last_kind=0&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=BAR
        > BAROSSA&RF=4&SHP=Barbarossa&pID=102547050699>

        &LNM=DOLYAK&PLNM=DOLYAK&last_kind=0&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=B
        > ARBAROSSA&RF=4&SHP=Barbarossa&pID=102547050699
        > > Using the Advanced Search at
        > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/search_new.asp%c3%82 using last name and ship
        > name brought it right up.
        > > David
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • Julie Mark
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
          Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
          looks like Majk. I haven’t seen that before. Misko’s wife’s maiden name is
          Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it’s spelled Szegena
          on the manifest. I don’t think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
          great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).

          I appreciate everyone’s help!

          , "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

          > Julie,
          > Id it possible you had found it originally using another site, for example
          Ancestry? It is showing correctly there!

          > TOM
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:

          > > John – when I put in the arrival date, ship name and port it says "none
          > > found".
          > >

          > > I'm really just puzzled why I was able to effortlessly happened upon
          this
          > > record when I did a search for all Dolyaks a couple months ago, and now
          it's
          > > not in the list (there are about 50 Dolyaks who came thru Ellis Island).
          > >

          > > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          ] On
          > > Behalf Of John
          > > Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 12:35 PM
          > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

          > > Subject: [S-R] Re: Ellis Island Records
          > >

          > > MISSING ELLIS ISLAND MANIFESTS (MM)
          > > Steve Morse's "missing manifest" function when scrolling through a film.
          It
          > > allows you to jump 1, 2, 3 pages at a time and jump to specific frame
          > > (page). Review the entire ship's manifest.
          > >
          > > To use MM, http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/mm.htm you will need
          > > start with the date of arrival, and find that roll. Then find the
          particular
          > > ship (by name, usually in an index at the beginning of the roll). Then
          > > "scroll" to the beginning of the manifest and off you go. These are the
          same
          > > images that EI uses. In fact, MM is just an alternative method of
          accessing
          > > them.
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > , David Colello <dcolello@> wrote:

          > > > Hmm...or maybe not. Got the last name and the correct arrival date
          and
          > > boat, but the actual image doesn't seem to have the entry.
          > > > David
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________
          > > > From: David Colello <dcolello@>
          > > > To: "SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          NM=DOLYAK&PLNM=DOLYAK&last_kind=0&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=BAR
          > > BAROSSA&RF=4&SHP=Barbarossa&pID=102547050699>

          &LNM=DOLYAK&PLNM=DOLYAK&last_kind=0&town_kind=0&ship_kind=0&TOWN=null&SHIP=B
          > > ARBAROSSA&RF=4&SHP=Barbarossa&pID=102547050699
          > > > Using the Advanced Search at
          > > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/search_new.asp%c3%82 using last name and
          ship
          > > name brought it right up.
          > > > David
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________

        • John
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
            Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
            > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
            > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
            > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
            > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
            >

            > I appreciate everyone's help!
            >

            > Julie
          • Julie Mark
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
              That's a new version of the name for me - thanks! What language/nationality
              is that associated with?

              > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before -
              > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
              > Sztegena - and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
              > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle - unless of course my
              > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
              >

              > I appreciate everyone's help!
              >

              > Julie

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
                http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Stegena/slovensko/

                ________________________________
                > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
                > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
                > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
                > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
                > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
                >

                > I appreciate everyone's help!
                >

                > Julie

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Dolyak/slovensko/

                  ________________________________

                  , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                  > Just a general question - I have collected manifests over the years and
                  > saved them on my computer. I wanted to go back and get a link to one so I
                  > could post it here to ask some questions and now I can't find the records
                  on
                  > line. I have searched every which way possible and can't find them (and
                  > it's more than one record). Anyone have any idea why that might be? I'd
                  > rather post a link here than go in and upload the file.
                  >

                  > Julie

                • t.salony
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
                    Julie, with your SZTENGA info, the surname definitely is written as STEGENA(without the Z which is used in one of the languages, maybe Slovak).
                    --------------------------------

                    John,
                    I find the manifests:
                    Series Roll Volume Year Month Day Frame Text Ship Port FHL roll
                    1 T715 476 936 1904 July 13 439 text barbarossa Bremen/Cherbourg 1399161

                    Entries 1 to 1 out of 1
                    -----------------

                    Now I'm trying to understand finding the actual page, which I already know from viewing on Ancestry. IF I didn't have that info, is there no other method short of viewing each manifest page??
                    And THX, I hadn't attempted using the lost manifest search in many years.

                    TOM

                    > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before –
                    > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name is
                    > > Sztegena – and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled Szegena
                    > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle – unless of course my
                    > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
                    > >

                    > > I appreciate everyone's help!
                    > >

                    > > Julie

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 26, 2013
                      Hi Julie - i have seen letters at the time of the big emigration and they combine the strangest variety of Slovakacized English and bits of other languages in the area - has anyone ever run across this?

                      maybe Majk is an example of this for the American nickname Mike.

                      helene

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 28, 2013
                        Thank you Tom!

                        , "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                        > Majk = Mike = Mihaly = Michal.
                        >
                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Julie Mark" <jkmark@> wrote:

                        > > Thank you Tom. Was wondering if anyone had seen that given name before -
                        > > looks like Majk. I haven't seen that before. Misko's wife's maiden name
                        is
                        > > Sztegena - and if you look again it almost looks like it's spelled
                        Szegena
                        > > on the manifest. I don't think it would be an uncle - unless of course
                        my
                        > > great great grandparents are cousins (which I guess is a possibility).
                        > >

                        > > I appreciate everyone's help!
                        > >

                        > > Julie

                      • Ja Stoll
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 5 6:15 AM
                          I have also had this happen where I knew i saw a record on EI and went back another day and could not locate it.  I think it is their system.  Just keep trying and search different ways.  Sometimes in one sitting i try and get a no results then try again and locate the record