Historic Eastern Slovakia Photos

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hello All,

      An incredible collection of historic 20th century photos has been coming on
      line at

      http://www.regionalnedejiny.sk/
      <http://www.regionalnedejiny.sk/index.php/o-projekte>

      I have been wanting photos like these since, well, forever.

      The project description:

      In today's global world, which eliminates any specific developments in the
      company recognizes the importance of preserving their own identity. Part of
      this identity is also consistent understanding of their own history,
      development and conservation history of each region and its popularization
      is a major challenge for our society.

      Welcome to the project, which aims to preserve part of our history in the
      form of archival materials by creating an electronic database. We hope that
      this database will serve as a learning tool, but also a source of
      information for the general public. It should uniquely focus on one
      accessible place testimony about the history of individual regions of
      Slovakia, which will serve as a strand base for professional researchers.

      The project has several phases. Currently, the site can find documents and
      materials on the history of 20thcentury, mostly from Eastern Slovakia.
      Authors sites believe that over time, the project will cover the remaining
      regions of Slovakia and other periods of history. How quickly this happens
      depends also provides our readers. We encourage you to help in creating
      this original edition. If you think you have interesting material about the
      history of your region, please contact us.

      We wish you a pleasant watching sites.

      Authors

      This is primarily an eastern Slovakia project.

      The BEST way to browse these photos is to start here:

      http://www.regionalnedejiny.sk/index.php/albumy/

      they have a Facebook page which is handy for seeing what is new. The photo
      postings are happening nearly daily.

      The photo need little description. Use translate.google.com for a better
      understanding of the captions.

      I have spent the better part of a day and night browsing these collections.
      You my too! What a capture of the past!

      Enjoy!

      Bill

    • Maureen Pulignano
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        Bill, this is terrific! I would love to get a translation of the captions for Dlhe photos. I did recognize most of the locale and some of the names. Thank you for posting this great link!
        Maureen
      • christopher gajda
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
          "Google Translate" will automatically do machine translation of entire text.