[S-R] Re: Translation on Baptism Record in Hungarian

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
      The Hungarian word for twin as sibling here is "gyermek". Best Hungarian is ikergyermek, but it is often seen just as appears here Just "iker" alone is the intransitive verb like the English "to twin".

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

      > I could not see any evidence, that they are twins, no "gemeli", no "iker".
      > But I could be wrong.
      >

      > I would it read like Maria, born and baptised in june 1865 (no certain day).
      >

      > Parents Demcsák János and Gyermek Erzsebet,
      >
      > Godparents Garblyvi (??) Andras, Klim??? Anna.
      >

      > I cannot decipher the whole notice at the end.
      >
      > My understanding -The child was baptised by the midwife ("bába"), and she
      > forget to give evidence to the priest. This note was made on 25-May-1875 in
      > the year the girl died.
      >

      > Ladislav

    • lacox777
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
        In hungarian gyermek/gyerek means "child". In this case I would vote for Gyermek as the surname of the mother.

        In your interpretation, what is the meaning of the names "arroud" the word Gyermek?

        One or two sites before there is also an inserted record.

        Ladislav

        The Hungarian word for twin as sibling here is "gyermek". Best Hungarian is ikergyermek, but it is often seen just as appears here Just "iker" alone is the intransitive verb like the English "to twin".

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

        > I could not see any evidence, that they are twins, no "gemeli", no "iker".
        > But I could be wrong.
        >

        > I would it read like Maria, born and baptised in june 1865 (no certain day).
        >

        > Parents Demcs�k J�nos and Gyermek Erzsebet,
        >
        > Godparents Garblyvi (??) Andras, Klim??? Anna.
        >

        > I cannot decipher the whole notice at the end.
        >
        > My understanding -The child was baptised by the midwife ("b�ba"), and she
        > forget to give evidence to the priest. This note was made on 25-May-1875 in
        > the year the girl died.
        >

        > Ladislav

      • bassfantastic
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
          Thanks all for your responses. It looks like there are several different ideas here. I can't remember if twins runs in the mother or father's side, but I know that the sibling of this Joannes had a set of twins. Joannes with the parents Georgino Miskov Ilona Bajsgn (?)
          Sponsors Joannes Stefanos, Anna Hannsov (?) is the line I am researching. I just wasn't sure if Maria is also part of it. Also not sure about the spelling of the mother's last name and the sponsors names.

          Brenda

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lacoros@... wrote:

          > In hungarian gyermek/gyerek means "child". In this case I would vote for Gyermek as the surname of the mother.
          >
          > In your interpretation, what is the meaning of the names "arroud" the word Gyermek?
          >
          > One or two sites before there is also an inserted record.
          >
          > Ladislav

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
            Ladi,
            I think you are right. I was misreading the text. The other child was baptized normally. And this one inserted because of the nonreport of the baptizer, the midwife.

            CB

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
              The entries are difficult to read but I see:
              The mother could be Ilona Bajusz (G.C.)
              The male sponsor could be Janos Sandor (G.C.) although the name Joannes
              Ste. is above the line.
              The female sponsor could be a double barrelled name Sztara-Hannsov Anna
              (R.C.)

              Peter M.

            • genmom4
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
                Brenda,
                If you look in the date sidebar, you will see that May ends with entry 34 and June begins with entry 35 with June 8 birth/baptism.

                The priest has written in June 1st above the 35 entry to keep the dates in subsequent order.

                Maria is born to Janos Demcusak and Erzebeta Gyermek, Szulok translates Parents in Hungarian. The godparents are Andres Garblyuj (?) and Anna Klinlehora (?). I'd have to look through the registry to see if there are surnames that would help to determine these godparent exact spellings.

                Barbara

                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-265143-42?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546
                >
                > Line 35.
                >
                > It appears the headers are in Latin but the entries are in Hungarian. Looks like there were twins Maria & Joannes. There is a lot of writing in the legit/illegitimate column as though these twins were birthed by someone other than the father's wife? Also, there is a lot of writing in the last column. Any ideas on what this all means?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Brenda

              • JOHN
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
                  Using Cisarik as my reference, one surname would be Demcisak. Others not mentioned.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

                  > Brenda,
                  > If you look in the date sidebar, you will see that May ends with entry 34 and June begins with entry 35 with June 8 birth/baptism.
                  >
                  > The priest has written in June 1st above the 35 entry to keep the dates in subsequent order.
                  >
                  > Maria is born to Janos Demcusak and Erzebeta Gyermek, Szulok translates Parents in Hungarian. The godparents are Andres Garblyuj (?) and Anna Klinlehora (?). I'd have to look through the registry to see if there are surnames that would help to determine these godparent exact spellings.
                  >
                  > Barbara
                  > >
                  > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-265143-42?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546
                  > >
                  > > Line 35.
                  > >
                  > > It appears the headers are in Latin but the entries are in Hungarian. Looks like there were twins Maria & Joannes. There is a lot of writing in the legit/illegitimate column as though these twins were birthed by someone other than the father's wife? Also, there is a lot of writing in the last column. Any ideas on what this all means?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Brenda

                • bassfantastic
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
                    Thanks Barbara... It seems the consensus is what you are saying. Maria
                    is a separate entry and not a twin of Joannes. Joannes is the actual
                    line I'm tracing so I can just disregard the Maria entries.

                    Brenda

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

                    > Brenda,
                    > If you look in the date sidebar, you will see that May ends with entry 34 and June begins with entry 35 with June 8 birth/baptism.
                    >
                    > The priest has written in June 1st above the 35 entry to keep the dates in subsequent order.
                    >
                    > Maria is born to Janos Demcusak and Erzebeta Gyermek, Szulok translates Parents in Hungarian. The godparents are Andres Garblyuj (?) and Anna Klinlehora (?). I'd have to look through the registry to see if there are surnames that would help to determine these godparent exact spellings.
                    >
                    > Barbara
                    > >
                    > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-265143-42?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546
                    > >
                    > > Line 35.
                    > >
                    > > It appears the headers are in Latin but the entries are in Hungarian. Looks like there were twins Maria & Joannes. There is a lot of writing in the legit/illegitimate column as though these twins were birthed by someone other than the father's wife? Also, there is a lot of writing in the last column. Any ideas on what this all means?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Brenda

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013