Volunteer to Index Slovak Resources in FamilySearch

  • Bette
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2013
      I read an article in the March 2013 edition of Nase rodina, "Our
      Family", The Quarterly of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society
      International written by Mike Servais titled "A Call for
      Volunteers-Slovak Electronic Resources in FamilySearch". Since I had
      started making an informal index (really just very long list) of the
      Images in the Jernye area in familysearch, I emailed Mike and
      volunteered to participate. He sent me a detailed project description
      and a copy of the data collection forms which are really great. I began
      inputing my list of the Image numbers with the dates and events
      (baptisms, marriages, confirmations and deaths) into the forms Mike
      developed. Today I finished indexing over 1177 Images from the Slovak
      Location: Sabinov>Jarovnice. Some of the images for that area are mixed
      and I was searching the same files over and over to find more relatives
      from my Triscsik/ Ondersco/ Turak family. Now it will be so much easier
      to find images that are out of order, duplicates and/or maybe missing.

      In Mike's article, he asks for volunteers to sign up for different
      locations and go through each roll of the online images in
      familysearch.org and recording the data (events, dates ranges) on a
      standard form that he emails to you. You email it back to him when you
      are finished with inputting your data in the forms. The Czechoslovak
      jGenealogical Society International will publish them for member's
      use in Nase rodina. He will also be collaborating with the LDS Church,
      Collection Development Department, who will use the information to help
      with their annual revisions.

      If you would like to participate in this project, please email Mike at
      <mikeservais2@...> <mailto:mikeservais2@...> and please use the
      email subject "CGSI Project" so he will know it isn't spam.
      He will send you a detailed project description with a copy of the data
      collection form. Mike's forms provide an easy and efficient way to
      organize the "very long list" I was using; it saves time,
      effort and a lot of eye strain because you can go directly to the Images
      of the events (marriages, deaths, baptisms, confirmations) and the date
      ranges just by looking them up on the forms.

      Mike created his forms using Excel spreadsheet and I have an iMac. I
      had no problem converting his forms to input my information on my Mac
      since I used Apple's Numbers spreadsheet App.

      Thanks,

      Bette