Re: [S-R] New Member - Gdovin, Larko, Roskovianuch, Klein

  • Samuel Ontko
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi Keith

      You are fishing in my part of the pond.

      I have only a couple of Lorko in the marriage records of Jaklovce and no births to speak of. But I do recognize the name and it has a familiar ring to the other names in this area; Dorko, Ontko, Jusko, Macko, Hricko, etc etc etc.

      I have touched upon the Gdovin/Vdovin names. In fact I have Maria Gdovin born about 1842, daughter of George Gdovin and Anna Klein. Maria married Jan Fricovsky of N Folkmar on May 12 1862. I have documented one daughter Anna born 16 May 1862. But I haven’t followed up on anymore about this family.

      Send me an email.

      Sam
      smontko@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2013
        Are you aware (have you researched) the church records for Slovinky and Velky Folkmar? How about the 1869 Hungarian Census?

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "marathonjonn" <marathonjon@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm researching the following families:
        >
        > From Also Szlovinka, Bánya District, Szepes County, Kingdom of Hungary (present day Nižné Slovinky, Gelnica District, Košice Region, Slovakia)
        > Father Stephen Larko (aka Lorko, Lork, Lyorko) 1852-1915
        > Mother Mary Roskovianuch (aka Roskovensky, Ruzkovenski) 1854-1930
        > Daughter Mary Larko 1882-1968
        > Immigrated to Jefferson County, PA, about 1884
        >
        > From Nagy Folkmar, Szepes County, Kingdom of Hungary (present day Veľký Folkmar, Gelnica district, Košice Region, Slovakia)
        > Father George (possibly Juraj or György) Gdovin born about 1840
        > Mother Anna Klein born between 1840-1860
        > Son George Gdovin 1876-1919
        > Immigrated to Jefferson County, PA, Oct 1893 (only the son)
        >
        > I would love to exchange information with others who are researching these families. However, be aware that there were several other men named Stephen Larko and George Gdovin who were not related to each other.
        >
        > Keith

      • marathonjonn
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
          Yes, the Slovinky church records available from FamilySearch are wonderful. I can't wait until they are all indexed. I know about the 1869 Hungarian Census but have not yet ordered the microfilms from FamilySearch. Thanks for the tips!

          > Are you aware (have you researched) the church records for Slovinky and Velky Folkmar? How about the 1869 Hungarian Census?
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "marathonjonn" <marathonjon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm researching the following families:
          > >
          > > From Also Szlovinka, Bánya District, Szepes County, Kingdom of Hungary (present day Nižné Slovinky, Gelnica District, Košice Region, Slovakia)
          > > Father Stephen Larko (aka Lorko, Lork, Lyorko) 1852-1915
          > > Mother Mary Roskovianuch (aka Roskovensky, Ruzkovenski) 1854-1930
          > > Daughter Mary Larko 1882-1968
          > > Immigrated to Jefferson County, PA, about 1884
          > >
          > > From Nagy Folkmar, Szepes County, Kingdom of Hungary (present day Veľký Folkmar, Gelnica district, Košice Region, Slovakia)
          > > Father George (possibly Juraj or György) Gdovin born about 1840
          > > Mother Anna Klein born between 1840-1860
          > > Son George Gdovin 1876-1919
          > > Immigrated to Jefferson County, PA, Oct 1893 (only the son)
          > >
          > > I would love to exchange information with others who are researching these families. However, be aware that there were several other men named Stephen Larko and George Gdovin who were not related to each other.
          > >
          > > Keith

        • John
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
            >>> Yes, the Slovinky church records available from FamilySearch are wonderful. I can't wait until they are all indexed. I know about the 1869 Hungarian Census but have not yet ordered the microfilms from FamilySearch. <<<

            These church records are a bit of a jumble and you MUST look at each page.

            The 1869 Hungarian Census is online. No need to order the films any more.
            https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMRC-H6V%3An722995078%3Fcc%3D1986782
          • Edward Martin
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
              John: Tried you site for 1869 Hungary Census with no luck.
              States that no record was found.
              What did you use??

              Ed Martin

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              From: johnqadam@...
              Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:28:01 +0000
              Subject: [S-R] Re: New Member - Gdovin, Larko, Roskovianuch, Klein

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
                >>> Tried you site for 1869 Hungary Census with no luck. States that no record was found. What did you use?? <<<

                What village are you trying to look up? Try here:
                https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/collection/1986782/waypoints
              • Edward Martin
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19, 2013
                  John: The village is in Zemplen Meyde, and was originally
                  called Ormezo (Hungarian), and is now Strazske.
                  It was not on your latest list that you sent to me.
                  I have viewed it before at the LDS.

                  Ed Martin

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  From: johnqadam@...
                  Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 01:47:41 +0000
                  Subject: [S-R] 1869 Hungarian Census

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Zemplen Megye villages shown online are ALL posted in error and the LDS techies know that. No Zemplen village are actually shown under Zemplen Megye due to this screw up.

                    This will be fixed . . . someday. Film only, for now.