Do Name??

  • bassfantastic
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-264626-8?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546

      This is a baptism for Maria (Line 6 or 16) For the father's name, there are three names. The first one I haven't seen before. His name is Miklos Misko but it has what looks like BALOGACS first.

      I have baptism for 5 of his children and death records for 3 and none of the other records have BALOGACS on it. Any ideas what that might mean?
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
        The way it is written in Hungarian form as family name BALOGACS
        (Balogach)/Misko/Miklos is that he was probably known as Misko, though his
        proper Christian name was Miklos i.e. Nick for Nicholas.

        Peter M.

        On 14 April 2013 10:26, bassfantastic <breny@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-264626-8?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546
        >
        > This is a baptism for Maria (Line 6 or 16) For the father's name, there
        > are three names. The first one I haven't seen before. His name is Miklos
        > Misko but it has what looks like BALOGACS first.
        >
        > I have baptism for 5 of his children and death records for 3 and none of
        > the other records have BALOGACS on it. Any ideas what that might mean?

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
          Surname Balogac:
          Priezvisko BALOGAČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 4×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
          HUDCOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ – 2×;
          HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 2×;

          Priezvisko BALOGÁČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 44×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
          HUDCOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ – 31×;
          HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 7×;
          ČEČEJOVCE, okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOŠICE - OKOLIE) – 3×;
          TOVARNÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 2×;
          STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 1×;

          Humenne is not that far from Vol’a.
          It doesn’t mean that Balogacs is not a “do” name. I would just make note of Balogacs being used and see if it comes up again in the records.

          This is a baptism for Maria (Line 6 or 16) For the father's name, there are three names. The first one I haven't seen before. His name is Miklos Misko but it has what looks like BALOGACS first.

          I have baptism for 5 of his children and death records for 3 and none of the other records have BALOGACS on it. Any ideas what that might mean?

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
            Balogacs is almost certainly a "Do" name or alias since other instances of the family in the registers use only the Misko name.

            Note that throughout this page in the register and several surrounding pages there are a very large number of such styled entries using double last names with a slash between them. This page alone has seven of them. This includes sponsors as well as parents. Perhaps this priest just had a fondness for recording even casual or informal aliases.

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2013
              Please ignore my first reply. I misread the question.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
                Thanks all for the suggestions. Is is possible for a "do" name to also appear on the census as well as church records?

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Surname Balogac:
                > Priezvisko BALOGAČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 4×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
                > HUDCOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ â€" 2×;
                > HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ â€" 2×;

                > Priezvisko BALOGÁČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 44×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                > HUDCOVCE, okr. HUMENNÉ â€" 31×;
                > HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ â€" 7×;
                > ČEČEJOVCE, okr. KOÅ ICE-VIDIEK (od r. 1996 KOÅ ICE - OKOLIE) â€" 3×;
                > TOVARNÉ, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU â€" 2×;
                > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) â€" 1×;
                >
                > Humenne is not that far from Vol’a.
                > It doesn’t mean that Balogacs is not a “do” name. I would just make note of Balogacs being used and see if it comes up again in the records.

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 15, 2013
                  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Balogac/Hudcovce/