Scorby/Scerby/Scorba

  • Julmarie58@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2013
      Karin.
      I have seen your posts on this name and Streator Illinois. My Parents John G. Sopko & Julia Louise Sopko and their parents are from Streator.
      My Grandfather John Steven Hudachko & his son John Francis Hudachko had the Hudachko Funeral Home from 1927-1968. I have turned over 2 Funeral Books to the Lasalle County Genealogy Guild, 115 W. Glover St. Ottawa, Illinois 61350 Phone 815-433-5261. I first copied all my families and then the index from each book for myself.
      Book I (1927-1944) has the following:
      John F. Scorby Pg 59, Frank Scorby Pg 80, Joseph Scorby Pg 136, G. Stephen Scorby Pg 290
      Book 2 Dec. 27, 1944 to July 2, 1956
      John A. Scorby Pg 41,Stephen Scorby Pg 179
      Your post is below and my family buried mostly from St. Stephen's & St. Casmir Churchs (Roman Catholic) These funeral records have a lot of info on them. The book from 1957 to Dec. 23, 1968 has no Scorby names.
      This is your post below.
      Good point about the religion, since I still have no proof of the
      family. I have a busy schedule the next couple days and weekend, but am
      putting a note in my calendar for Monday to make a call or calls to
      Lutheran/Evangelical churches in the Streator area to see what I might
      be able to find.
      Karin Schuette Weiss
    • Karin Weiss
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2013
        Thank you very much for this information. I have gotten quite a few
        marriage a death records from the Lasalle Genealogy Guild. I will be
        calling them fairly soon and see about having those pages copied from
        the funeral home books. That is a wonderful lead.

        In light of the information from another list member about the Sabol
        family living near the Scorbies in Streator and having a large family
        including a John born in January, 1886, I am wondering if you might be
        able to check your index pages for Sabol/Sabel for me before I call the
        Guild?

        Thank you.

        Karin Schuette Weiss