Translation please

  • Ja Stoll
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
      Hi, Would someone please help me by translating what it says below Clemens fathers name and tell me what the name of the town he was born in was
      Thank you

      Line #70 Clemens

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-XMR:n989453373

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
        1773 Lettnicz, Letnitz, Letnicze, 1786 Lettnicz, 1808 Letnicz, Letnice, 1863, 1888–1900 Lettnic, 1873–1882 Letnic, 1900–1913 Letenőc, 1920 Letnice, Letničie, 1927– Letničie

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
          The place looks like "Letniz." Mapquest.com shows Letnice (with a diacritical mark over the c), a hamlet about a mile se of the town of Petrova Ves. A small hamlet so close to a larger town would not be likely to have had its own church. The photo shows the church in Petrova Ves - this link has more photos: http://www.petrovaves.sk/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:kostol&catid=23:cirkev&Itemid=94.

          As for the word under the father's name - could it be his occupation?

          Good luck -
          Marny Sekac Janson

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
            Ja Stoll,

            The first word looks like "faber" which means a person who works in hard
            materials such as wood, stone or metal. A forger, smith, artificer or
            handicraftsman.

            The second word looks like "jerey" or "serey". I cannot find anything in my
            Latin dictionary what comes close to anything similar.

            Perhaps a more advanced Latin scholar in the group can give you some insight
            on the second word.

            Good Luck,

            Frank Plichta

            "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

            Hi, Would someone please help me by translating what it says below Clemens
            fathers name and tell me what the name of the town he was born in was
            Thank you

            Line #70 Clemens

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443
            <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-360529-43?cc=1554443&wc=M
            99C-XMR:n989453373> &wc=M99C-XMR:n989453373

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 11, 2013
              I think you got it right Frank. He is an iron worker or forger, but the word for iron is abbreviated here. Others have already identified the town.

              Curt B.