Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karin Weiss
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 11 1:31 PM
      Do you happen to know what the Castle Garden records might be called in
      the Ancestry Card Catalog?

      Karin

      On 4/10/2013 9:12 PM, MGMojher wrote:

      > Karin and Karen,
      > Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have
      > gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island
      > there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden
      > records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry
      > with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden
      > records to search.

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14 9:54 AM
        Hello Karin,

        This is going to be a long shot but here goes...  I found an ancestry indexed record in 1900 of a John Sabol (b. Jan. 1886 in Austria), all other children in the family were born staring in 1887 in Illinois.  His parents listed as Andrew & Mary.  The census record is very faded but shows them living at 1507 Union.  On the previous pages at 1401 Union lived John & Mary Scorbie.  I never find another Andrew and Mary, but I do find Andrew and Susan (Susanna) living again at 1507 Union.
        http://tinyurl.com/cceg5kx

        I also found Andrew (widow) with children Andrew Jr. (b. 1897), Emma (b. 1904) & Mary (b. 1901).  This puts he number of children from 7 in 1900 census to at least 9 by 1904.  On the previous page is an Andrew & Suzie Sabol living at 1504 Union, arrival 1889.
        http://tinyurl.com/d26sdc5

        The above record fits month/year of birth (Jan 1886), place of birth (Austria on some records) and immigration at age 1 on some records.  They live in Streator and down the street from a Scorbie.  Is it possible that he could be a Sabol/Sabel but changed his name for some reason.  Or his family changed their name.

        On ancestry.com
        Andrew Scherba (death record)
        http://tinyurl.com/brt7ry9%c2%a0%c2%a0

        On www.findagrave.com
        Russion Orthodox Cemetery there lists:

        Andrew Scherba, 1852-1925

        Susanna Scherba, 1855-1939

        Riverview Cemetery lists:
        Andrew Sabol, unknown-1924  (see death index on ancestry)
        Mary Sabol, unknown-1916

        Karen

      • Karin Weiss
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14 1:32 PM
          Karen C -

          Long shot maybe - but wow. fascinating stuff, which I am now starting to
          take a real good look at. So much of it does fit. Looking at the
          children on that 1900 census along with the old photograph I have, they
          make perfect sense as the seven oldest children in the photo. I've not
          quite been able to do that with the John and Mary Bartko Scorby family -
          even with all their children it has been problematic. I need to try and
          trace this Sabol family a bit further and see what comes of it. Thank
          you very much.

          Karin Schuette Weiss