Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hello Karin,  Well looks like you are covering all of your bases.  I did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
      Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria.  He also indicated on his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
      naturalization.  In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S. in 1887 or 1889.  Have you seen these records and have you tried
      to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.

      Karen

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
        Karin and Karen,
        Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden records to search.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
          RD -

          Good point about the religion, since I still have no proof of the
          family. I have a busy schedule the next couple days and weekend, but am
          putting a note in my calendar for Monday to make a call or calls to
          Lutheran/Evangelical churches in the Streator area to see what I might
          be able to find.

          And I have ordered the book through ILL - it does look like it should be
          very interesting and quite possibly helpful - especially the references
          - those are often a gold mine. Streator is a town with a fascinating
          history, but I really did not know about the Scottish part of it. That
          is particularly interesting, given that when John got to Washington
          state he married a woman of Scottish descent whose father was also a miner.

          Karin Schuette Weiss

          On 4/10/2013 8:11 PM, rd1995 wrote:

          > Is it possible that there was a Scorby/Scerba/Scorba family back then
          > that was not Roman Catholic? Maybe they were Lutheran or Evangelical?
          > Maybe the baptism records are in another church, even in a nearby town?
          >
          > The way that Jack/John's family hasn't turned up in the Censuses must
          > be frustrating. Could they have lived in another ward of Streator or
          > perhaps even Spring Valley or Braidwood?
          >
          > I stumbled across a book from a university press that, although it is
          > ostensibly trying to discuss how Scottish miners in Streator compared
          > with their cousins in Scotland in the 19th century, the book also has
          > a lot about the mine employers and mix of different ethnic groups as
          > workers in the Streator Illinois area. It's called "Colliers Across
          > the Sea" by John H. M. Laslett.
          >
          > You can see a lot in previews through Amazon: how many Slovaks ended
          > up in the area called "Coalville", how a young Czech Anton Cermak
          > (later Chicago mayor, killed in an assassination attempt on FDR) once
          > lived in Braidwood, how the houses were tinderboxes and burned down
          > often, all the strikes, etc.
          >
          > I think it would be worth asking your local public library to borrow a
          > copy through Interlibrary Loan, if only for background. The book's
          > references might also give you some ideas. For example, I saw a
          > reference to WPA interviews in the book's bibliography, but they don't
          > seem to be digitized in the Library of Congress' small WPA section online.

        • Karin Weiss
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
            Karen -

            Indeed I have seen them and I have looked for immigration records for
            any Scorbys/Scerbas that make sense.

            One other problem with John is that he changes his mind about some of
            this later. Eventually he becomes Jack Scorby - I suspect this happens
            whenever he marries Jessie Eades Ricketts. But in the 1930 census he is
            Jack Scorby, living in Coquille Oregon married to Jessie, still a coal
            miner, and now he says he was born in Illinois. He also registered for
            the draft for WWII - as John Scorby - and there he says he was born in
            Streator (misspelled Strator) Illinois.

            According to the 1930 census his parents were born in Austria Hungary
            and spoke Slovak. However, his father's birthplace is crossed out and
            above it are the initials E.N.S. Doing a little research, I think this
            means European Non State. Which may mean that the place Jack said his
            father came from was, at that time, in flux, and it was uncertain where
            it belonged. Maybe someone has more information about this notation?

            In 1940 Jack is still living in Coquille Oregon with Jessie, still a
            coal miner, still born in Illinois.

            Karin Schuette Weiss

            On 4/10/2013 8:49 PM, Karen C wrote:

            > Hello Karin, Well looks like you are covering all of your bases. I
            > did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
            > Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria. He also indicated on
            > his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
            > naturalization. In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S.
            > in 1887 or 1889. Have you seen these records and have you tried
            > to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.
            >
            > Karen

          • Karin Weiss
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
              Do you happen to know what the Castle Garden records might be called in
              the Ancestry Card Catalog?

              Karin

              On 4/10/2013 9:12 PM, MGMojher wrote:

              > Karin and Karen,
              > Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have
              > gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island
              > there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden
              > records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry
              > with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden
              > records to search.

            • Karen C
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
                Hello Karin,

                This is going to be a long shot but here goes...  I found an ancestry indexed record in 1900 of a John Sabol (b. Jan. 1886 in Austria), all other children in the family were born staring in 1887 in Illinois.  His parents listed as Andrew & Mary.  The census record is very faded but shows them living at 1507 Union.  On the previous pages at 1401 Union lived John & Mary Scorbie.  I never find another Andrew and Mary, but I do find Andrew and Susan (Susanna) living again at 1507 Union.
                http://tinyurl.com/cceg5kx

                I also found Andrew (widow) with children Andrew Jr. (b. 1897), Emma (b. 1904) & Mary (b. 1901).  This puts he number of children from 7 in 1900 census to at least 9 by 1904.  On the previous page is an Andrew & Suzie Sabol living at 1504 Union, arrival 1889.
                http://tinyurl.com/d26sdc5

                The above record fits month/year of birth (Jan 1886), place of birth (Austria on some records) and immigration at age 1 on some records.  They live in Streator and down the street from a Scorbie.  Is it possible that he could be a Sabol/Sabel but changed his name for some reason.  Or his family changed their name.

                On ancestry.com
                Andrew Scherba (death record)
                http://tinyurl.com/brt7ry9%c2%a0%c2%a0

                On www.findagrave.com
                Russion Orthodox Cemetery there lists:

                Andrew Scherba, 1852-1925

                Susanna Scherba, 1855-1939

                Riverview Cemetery lists:
                Andrew Sabol, unknown-1924  (see death index on ancestry)
                Mary Sabol, unknown-1916

                Karen

              • Karin Weiss
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
                  Karen C -

                  Long shot maybe - but wow. fascinating stuff, which I am now starting to
                  take a real good look at. So much of it does fit. Looking at the
                  children on that 1900 census along with the old photograph I have, they
                  make perfect sense as the seven oldest children in the photo. I've not
                  quite been able to do that with the John and Mary Bartko Scorby family -
                  even with all their children it has been problematic. I need to try and
                  trace this Sabol family a bit further and see what comes of it. Thank
                  you very much.

                  Karin Schuette Weiss