Re: Is the village of Vóla, Michalovce available in the 1869 census?

  • t.salony
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
      Judy,
      Here's another method to search for a village, Vola:

      http://www.cisarik.com/

      - Click on "All villages"
      - Click on the letter V to the right of "Index of all villages of whole SLOVAKIA"
      - Look for your village, click on "Vola"
      - Voila(sorry, I couldn't resist the pun), you have very good info, and...
      - looking at either the actual map, OR "Vola bordering the villages(towns):", you'll find Michalovce, and see how close it is to Vola.

      TOM

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

      > Judy,
      > Between 1863 and 1902 Vola was known as Laborcvola and was in Zemplin County. Vola is in the okres/district of Michalovce and kraj/region of Kosicky (Kosice) now. Of the 1869 Census online, “This census does not cover all of Slovakia, but only those census records in the regional archives of Bytča, Banská Bystrica, and Nitra.” I looked in Zemplin and there was no listing for Laborcvola, not even Michalovce. So you may have to order the films. The records for Vol’a are at the Levoca Archives / Štátny oblastný archív v Levoči (Repository).
      >
      > 2686 Voľa MI/KI zemplín.
      > 1773 Volya-Laborcz, Volya Laborsky, 1786 Wolya-Laborcz, Wolya Laborszky, 1808 Laborcz-Vólya, Wola, 1863â€"1902 Laborcvolya, 1907â€"1913 Laborcfalva, 1920â€" Voľ
      >
      > Vol’a is a Greek Catholic parish, its online records are found here - https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-76T%3A382891358%3Fcc%3D1554443

    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
        Type Vola as KEYWORD on the old LDS site and you will see the census doc.
        https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > On FamilySearch I've found 2 birth records for a family (1893 and 1899)that list the event place as Vóla Michalovce, Slovakia. Now I would like to see if the 1869 census is available for the village. With the changing of the names of the villages and the counties under Hungarian and Slovak I am a bit lost about what names to look for.
        >
        > Could someone tell me what the names of Vóla, Michalovce has been over time (village, district, county).
        >
        > If the 1869 census is available for that village, what choices should I make on FamilySearch, Slovakia, Census, 1869, to get to the records?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Judy

      • Judy
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
          Thanks Michael, Tom and John for the info on Vola.

          Seems that although the church records are in the Vola registers, the actual village is somewhere nearby. In the 3 birth records I've found (links below), the village looks like Natafalve or Nesafalva (writing isn't great). On the cisarik site it looks like the village of Nicina Ves (near to Vola) was known as

          1773 Natafalva, Naczina Wes, 1786 Natafalwa, Nacsina Wes, 1808 Nátafalva, Náthafalva, Nacyná Wes, Natiná Wes, 1863–1913 Nátafalva, 1920– Nacina Ves

          These births were between 1885-1899. Do you think this is the correct village then?

          If I'm going to find the census, (if it exists) I need the exact village, Vola won't do.

          Links to the birth records with the exact village written...

          line 32 at
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-267448-88?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546

          line 19 at
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11574-45288-79?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRR:1863249805

          line 15 at
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-266688-10?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546

          BTW Tom, looks like the old FHL search by keyword and place, etc is shut down either temporally or permanently. Once I figure out the exact village, how do I work around that?

          Thanks for all of the help.
          Judy

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

          > Judy,
          > Here's another method to search for a village, Vola:
          >
          > http://www.cisarik.com/
          >
          > - Click on "All villages"
          > - Click on the letter V to the right of "Index of all villages of whole SLOVAKIA"
          > - Look for your village, click on "Vola"
          > - Voila(sorry, I couldn't resist the pun), you have very good info, and...
          > - looking at either the actual map, OR "Vola bordering the villages(towns):", you'll find Michalovce, and see how close it is to Vola.
          >
          > TOM
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Judy,
          > > Between 1863 and 1902 Vola was known as Laborcvola and was in Zemplin County. Vola is in the okres/district of Michalovce and kraj/region of Kosicky (Kosice) now. Of the 1869 Census online, “This census does not cover all of Slovakia, but only those census records in the regional archives of Bytča, Banská Bystrica, and Nitra.” I looked in Zemplin and there was no listing for Laborcvola, not even Michalovce. So you may have to order the films. The records for Vol’a are at the Levoca Archives / Štátny oblastný archív v Levoči (Repository).
          > >
          > > 2686 Voľa MI/KI zemplín.
          > > 1773 Volya-Laborcz, Volya Laborsky, 1786 Wolya-Laborcz, Wolya Laborszky, 1808 Laborcz-Vólya, Wola, 1863â€"1902 Laborcvolya, 1907â€"1913 Laborcfalva, 1920â€" Voľ
          > >
          > > Vol’a is a Greek Catholic parish, its online records are found here - https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-76T%3A382891358%3Fcc%3D1554443

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
            John,
            Which of the 8 selections did you use. The Place one takes you to the Greek Catholic records for Vol’a, but not the 1869 Census.

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

            > On FamilySearch I've found 2 birth records for a family (1893 and 1899)that list the event place as Vóla Michalovce, Slovakia. Now I would like to see if the 1869 census is available for the village. With the changing of the names of the villages and the counties under Hungarian and Slovak I am a bit lost about what names to look for.
            >
            > Could someone tell me what the names of Vóla, Michalovce has been over time (village, district, county).
            >
            > If the 1869 census is available for that village, what choices should I make on FamilySearch, Slovakia, Census, 1869, to get to the records?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Judy

          • MGMojher
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
              Judy,
              The three links appear to be births to the same couple. Since the writing is so stylized, what are the names of the parents?
              The link I gave you takes you to Vol’a records that are online. You should find the three links you have posted among those records.
              The village you use to search for the 1869 Census might be as I gave you, “...1863 and 1902 Vola was known as Laborcvola .” I would not give up on using Vol’a.

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

              > Judy,
              > Here's another method to search for a village, Vola:
              >
              > http://www.cisarik.com/
              >
              > - Click on "All villages"
              > - Click on the letter V to the right of "Index of all villages of whole SLOVAKIA"
              > - Look for your village, click on "Vola"
              > - Voila(sorry, I couldn't resist the pun), you have very good info, and...
              > - looking at either the actual map, OR "Vola bordering the villages(towns):", you'll find Michalovce, and see how close it is to Vola.
              >
              > TOM
              >

              > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Judy,
              > > Between 1863 and 1902 Vola was known as Laborcvola and was in Zemplin County. Vola is in the okres/district of Michalovce and kraj/region of Kosicky (Kosice) now. Of the 1869 Census online, “This census does not cover all of Slovakia, but only those census records in the regional archives of Bytča, Banská Bystrica, and Nitra.” I looked in Zemplin and there was no listing for Laborcvola, not even Michalovce. So you may have to order the films. The records for Vol’a are at the Levoca Archives / Štátny oblastný archív v Levoči (Repository).
              > >
              > > 2686 Voľa MI/KI zemplín.
              > > 1773 Volya-Laborcz, Volya Laborsky, 1786 Wolya-Laborcz, Wolya Laborszky, 1808 Laborcz-Vólya, Wola, 1863â€"1902 Laborcvolya, 1907â€"1913 Laborcfalva, 1920â€" Voľ
              > >
              > > Vol’a is a Greek Catholic parish, its online records are found here - https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-76T%3A382891358%3Fcc%3D1554443

            • Judy
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
                Michael, Thanks for your continued expert help in trying to work me through this.

                NAMES
                Yes, they are four children of the same couple. The writing is pretty bad in the records, but from what I see and what FamilySearch indexers see, the names appear to be as follows:

                Father: given name- Mihal/Miklos/Marlos, surname-Misko

                Mother: given name-Anna, surname- Andrijsov/Andrijov/Andrejova

                I believe I have found the marriage record of the couple in the Vola records. Here the names appear to be Mihal Miskov and Anna Andrejova
                Line 15
                https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-266173-8?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546

                VILLAGE
                Originally I asked about Vola because that is where the birth records appeared, but after closer examination of the exact village listed on the birth records, I realized it wasn't Vola, but a surrounding village that looked like Natafalve or Nesafalva. After more research prompted by the responses on SR, I thought it might be Natafalva, now Nicina Ves. (See my message # 35726)
                Since that posting, US naturalization papers have been found for 2 of the sons and they list their birthplace as Natafalva. So now I know that is the exact village that I need to look for with the census.

                When I look through the on-line 1869 census listings for Zemplin, I don't see anything close. Therefore, I'm assuming that the records for this village are unavailable on-line. Am I correct thinking that?

                I thought that in your previous response that you thought microfilm records might exist even if they aren't on-line. But when I tried to go to the old FHL search that allowed you to search by keyword, place etc, the search possibilities are inactive. Whether it is temporary or permanently disabled, I don't know. Is there any way to work around that to search for microfilm records of Natafalva?

                Thanks again for being so generous with your help.

                Judy

              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
                  Judy,
                  Your Nicina Ves is actually:
                  1536 Nacina Ves MI/KI zemplín.
                  1773 Natafalva, Naczina Wes, 1786 Natafalwa, Nacsina Wes, 1808 Nátafalva, Náthafalva, Nacyná Wes, Natiná Wes, 1863–1913 Nátafalva, 1920– Nacina Ves

                  Natafalva is the name in 1869. I did not see that name in the 1869 Census. You will have to order the film: FHL INTL Film 722757/ Family History Library International Film 722757 It appears it covers from Nagytoronya to Natafalva.
                  Nagytoronya (Vel̓ká Toroňa) -- Nátafalva (Nacina Ves) FHL INTL Film
                  722757

                  This is a search for Misko. There were four listings, but this spelling was for eastern Slovakia. There were 302 listings in 75 places. The list is for the top 10. Presov (#2) is where my maternal relatives live. Kendice (#4) is where my maternal grandmother was from. Sarisske Michal’any (#9) is where my maternal grandfather is from.
                  “okr.” is abbreviation for okres/district.
                  “obec” is Slovak for city.
                  “od r.” is short for was assimilated into (year).
                  “number” of Misko in that location.
                  Priezvisko MIŠKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 302×, celkový počet lokalít: 75, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                  SNINA, okr. HUMENNÉ (od r. 1996 SNINA) – 50×;
                  PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 17×;
                  VYŠNÝ ŽIPOV, okr. VRANOV NAD TOPĽOU – 13×;
                  KENDICE, okr. PREŠOV – 11×;
                  HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 10×;
                  NOVÉ ZÁMKY, okr. NOVÉ ZÁMKY – 8×;
                  PARCHOVANY, okr. TREBIŠOV – 8×;
                  STREDNÁ REVÚCA (obec LIPTOVSKÉ REVÚCE), okr. LIPTOVSKÝ MIKULÁŠ (od r. 1996 RUŽOMBEROK) – 8×;
                  ŠARIŠSKÉ MICHAĽANY, okr. PREŠOV (od r. 1996 SABINOV) – 7×;
                  LEMEŠANY, okr. PREŠOV – 7×;

                  http://www.cisarik.com/0_Nacina_Ves_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html Here is a link to an information page on Nacina Ves.
                  http://www.nacinaves.sk/-contact This is the Nacina Ves webpage. This one page is in English. To the left click on photogaleria.

                  Michael, Thanks for your continued expert help in trying to work me through this.

                  NAMES
                  Yes, they are four children of the same couple. The writing is pretty bad in the records, but from what I see and what FamilySearch indexers see, the names appear to be as follows:

                  Father: given name- Mihal/Miklos/Marlos, surname-Misko

                  Mother: given name-Anna, surname- Andrijsov/Andrijov/Andrejova

                  I believe I have found the marriage record of the couple in the Vola records. Here the names appear to be Mihal Miskov and Anna Andrejova
                  Line 15
                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12869-266173-8?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WRG:1917133546

                  VILLAGE
                  Originally I asked about Vola because that is where the birth records appeared, but after closer examination of the exact village listed on the birth records, I realized it wasn't Vola, but a surrounding village that looked like Natafalve or Nesafalva. After more research prompted by the responses on SR, I thought it might be Natafalva, now Nicina Ves. (See my message # 35726)
                  Since that posting, US naturalization papers have been found for 2 of the sons and they list their birthplace as Natafalva. So now I know that is the exact village that I need to look for with the census.

                  When I look through the on-line 1869 census listings for Zemplin, I don't see anything close. Therefore, I'm assuming that the records for this village are unavailable on-line. Am I correct thinking that?

                  I thought that in your previous response that you thought microfilm records might exist even if they aren't on-line. But when I tried to go to the old FHL search that allowed you to search by keyword, place etc, the search possibilities are inactive. Whether it is temporary or permanently disabled, I don't know. Is there any way to work around that to search for microfilm records of Natafalva?

                  Thanks again for being so generous with your help.

                  Judy

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                  > Judy,
                  > The three links appear to be births to the same couple. Since the writing is so stylized, what are the names of the parents?
                  > The link I gave you takes you to Vol’a records that are online. You should find the three links you have posted among those records.
                  > The village you use to search for the 1869 Census might be as I gave you, “...1863 and 1902 Vola was known as Laborcvola .” I would not give up on using Vol’a.

                • Judy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
                    Thanks Michael. That is the information I needed.

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 10, 2013
                      >>> looks like the old FHL search by keyword and place, etc is shut down either temporally or permanently. Once I figure out the exact village, how do I work around that? <<<

                      It worked just fine for me.
                    • Judy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 10, 2013
                        Thanks John,

                        Using my old link to that page kept giving me an "Oops We can't seem to find this page" message. But today I tried getting there from scratch without my old favorite link and was able to find a newer version of the search page. Maybe with their latest changes my old link was broken. I'm good now. Thanks for giving me your feedback. It made me keep looking and now I've got a good link.

                        Judy