Re: [S-R] Re: Need help translating an occupation comment on the 1869 census

  • Zuzana Peer
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hi,
      it is written in Czech and Slovak. Probably the writer was Czech who  tried to write in Slovak. It is mix.
      The occupation : ZIJI VE VINICE U DETI means approximately: "lives of the vineyard at the children".

      The second column from the end VIE / NEVIE means : "can/ can not"  (write and read)
      Zuzana

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
        zije mu nim im co u deti.

        He lives with them as their children

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        It seems to be written in Slovak.I don't know Slovak but it looks very similar to Czek or Polish in this sentence. It should mean that she is a widow living at her children's home ( with them and her grand children).

        Hope that will help.
        Have a good day

        Jacques

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > Hoping that someone can help me translate a comment on an 1869 census in the occupation column. The comment is for the first person listed, "Katty Wolek" It seems to start with "Lyë _ve vim..., but I can't make out the rest.
        >
        > The person recording the information generally uses Slovak in the comments, but I've been told that the occupation and status vocabulary seem to be more archaic and perhaps Polish in origin, even though this is for a village in western current-day Slovakia.
        >
        > This is the link.
        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28474-15022-25?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CBD:n925413214
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to give.
        >
        > Judy

      • Judy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
          Thank you to Jacques, Zuzana and Vilo for the translation help.

          Judy

          > zije mu nim im co u deti.
          >

          > He lives with them as their children
          >
          > Z Bohom,
          >
          > Vilo
          >

          > ________________________________

        • jcotteret
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
            Bill, you say "he lives" but as far as I understand, it should be "she lives" (Kathyrin) and she was "vdova" (a widow?).
            But may be I am not right.

            Jacques

            > zije mu nim im co u deti.
            >

            > He lives with them as their children
            >
            > Z Bohom,
            >
            > Vilo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Armata, Joseph R

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

              > Hoping that someone can help me translate a comment on an 1869 census in the occupation column. The comment is for the first person listed, "Katty Wolek" It seems to start with "Lyë _ve vim..., but I can't make out the rest.
              >
              > The person recording the information generally uses Slovak in the comments, but I've been told that the occupation and status vocabulary seem to be more archaic and perhaps Polish in origin, even though this is for a village in western current-day Slovakia.
              >
              > This is the link.
              > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28474-15022-25?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CBD:n925413214
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to give.
              >
              > Judy

            • Judy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2013
                Thanks Joe. That makes sense since she was living with her son and his family.

                Judy