Military Records?

  • Robert Pollak
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
      I found the birth record of a distant relative - Joseph Vittek, born 1857 in Krasnohorske Podhradie.  In the 'Observations' column on the birth record it indicates that he died in 1880 in a Military Hospital.  There is no record in the Deaths in Krasnohorske Podhradie for the time of his death.

      Was there a Military conflict going on at the time?  Who did it involve and are there any Military records available to genealogists?

      Bob Pollak

    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
        Bob,

        The following is a list of many of the world's conflicts during the 1800's.
        Check out the link:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_1800%E2%80%931899#1880.E2.80.93188
        9

        Don't forget to consider that he might have been wounded earlier and didn't
        die until 1880.

        Enjoy,

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
          Bob,
          The Austro-Hungarian Army did not participate in any wars between the Seven Weeks War in 1866 and WWI. There were revolts in the Balkans where the Army was involved. One possibility is that Joseph was ill. Many soldiers died of disease.

          Military records are available to genealogists. Here is a link to a site that describes how to research these records.
          http://ahmilitary.blogspot.com

          Unfortunately, Hungary kept the personnel records for their own soldiers after 1867 and these have been lost.

          CK