Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2013
      As you check your research, just wondering if you have tried using a public library to look through Microfilms for a copy of an obituary?  Found this gen web URL that lists libraries that have copies of newspapers in the area.

      http://www.orgenweb.org/coos/library.htm%c2%a0

      I didn't find anything on any of the newspaper sites that I belong to.

      Karen

    • Karin Weiss
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 9, 2013
        On 4/5/2013 7:13 AM, Margo Smith wrote:

        > Have you considered looking for the obits of John and Mary to see who
        > are listed as their children?

        I did in fact find an obit for Mary Bartko Scorby some time ago. She
        died in 1921 in Streator, Illinois, and there was an obituary in the
        Streator Daily Free Press. According to that, she was survived by her
        husband, John, and by six children - five at home and one daughter in
        Orient, Illinois. The five children at home were George, Steve, John,
        Frank and Rose. That is not our John. That would be a son born in 1902.

        I have baptismal records I obtained from the Peoria Catholic Diocese and
        from St. Michael the Archangel Parish (was St. Stephen Roman Catholic
        Church) for 12 children born to John and Mary. They had three sons
        named John (1886, 1888 and 1902) and two daughters named Mary (1885 and
        1896). The entire family in order: Anna, Maria, John, John, George and
        Theresa (twins), Stephen, Maria, Emma, John, Rose and Frank. I know
        from census records that some of these children died, but don't yet know
        which ones. It is a slow process obtaining records from the Diocese, as
        I can only ask for four at a time. I will be asking for four deaths of
        children next and then I will begin to know more.

        I do know that our John claims he was born in 1886. His draft
        registrations and later census records and death certificate all bear
        that date. John and Mary had a son named John that year. I know of a
        family in my ancestry (a German family) who named six sons Frederick.
        Only one died. They only actually called one Fred. And thus far I
        cannot fit our John into any other Scorby family. So until I see that
        he dies, I guess I've been hanging on to the hope that they chose to
        forget him after he left home. He appears to be the only one who
        strayed very far.

        The Andrew Scorby family had two children - Andrew and Susie.

        Then there was the Joseph and Susan Bartko Scorby family. It appears
        very possible that Joseph Scorby was a brother to John Scorby and Susan
        Bartko may have been a sister to Mary Bartko. I believe they had seven
        children - Anna, Mary, Susanna, Clara, John, Stephen and Agnes. Not
        enough for the photograph.

        I am very much open to suggestions.

        Karin Schuette Weiss.

        > >________________________________

      • Karin Weiss
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9, 2013
          Karen - I have used that particular web site quite a lot, as my
          husband's family is almost all in the area of Coos and Curry County.
          Also we have visited the Bandon Museum, a really fine small museum - one
          of the best I have been to and I am a great fan of museums. They
          provided me with many obits - very few Scorby obits, though. None for
          John. Or Jessie, his second wife.

          Or third - there is an outside chance he married a woman named Mabel
          Holmes at a very young age in Streator. Then they went to Colorado,
          divorced , went back to Streator separately, and then John went to
          Washington state and then Oregon. I still need to order that divorce
          record. I do have the marriage record and it looks to be yet another
          John Scorby.

          It does strike me, though, that I have not visited either the Bandon or
          the Coquille Libraries, and I ought to do that. We are in Bandon a few
          times a year, as my husband's parents live there. I will make a point
          to do that soon. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I have
          found a great deal of interest in searching microfilms of the old
          newspapers from the Wisconsin town where my father's family came from -
          it has been fascinating. You learn things you can't learn any other way.

          Karin Schuette Weiss

          On 4/6/2013 11:37 AM, Karen C wrote:

          > As you check your research, just wondering if you have tried using a
          > public library to look through Microfilms for a copy of an obituary?
          > Found this gen web URL that lists libraries that have copies of
          > newspapers in the area.
          >
          > http://www.orgenweb.org/coos/library.htm
          >
          > I didn't find anything on any of the newspaper sites that I belong to.
          >
          > Karen

        • rd1995
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
            Is it possible that there was a Scorby/Scerba/Scorba family back then that was not Roman Catholic? Maybe they were Lutheran or Evangelical? Maybe the baptism records are in another church, even in a nearby town?

            The way that Jack/John's family hasn't turned up in the Censuses must be frustrating. Could they have lived in another ward of Streator or perhaps even Spring Valley or Braidwood?

            I stumbled across a book from a university press that, although it is ostensibly trying to discuss how Scottish miners in Streator compared with their cousins in Scotland in the 19th century, the book also has a lot about the mine employers and mix of different ethnic groups as workers in the Streator Illinois area. It's called "Colliers Across the Sea" by John H. M. Laslett.

            You can see a lot in previews through Amazon: how many Slovaks ended up in the area called "Coalville", how a young Czech Anton Cermak (later Chicago mayor, killed in an assassination attempt on FDR) once lived in Braidwood, how the houses were tinderboxes and burned down often, all the strikes, etc.

            I think it would be worth asking your local public library to borrow a copy through Interlibrary Loan, if only for background. The book's references might also give you some ideas. For example, I saw a reference to WPA interviews in the book's bibliography, but they don't seem to be digitized in the Library of Congress' small WPA section online.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2013
              Hello Karin,  Well looks like you are covering all of your bases.  I did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
              Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria.  He also indicated on his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
              naturalization.  In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S. in 1887 or 1889.  Have you seen these records and have you tried
              to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.

              Karen

            • MGMojher

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
                  RD -

                  Good point about the religion, since I still have no proof of the
                  family. I have a busy schedule the next couple days and weekend, but am
                  putting a note in my calendar for Monday to make a call or calls to
                  Lutheran/Evangelical churches in the Streator area to see what I might
                  be able to find.

                  And I have ordered the book through ILL - it does look like it should be
                  very interesting and quite possibly helpful - especially the references
                  - those are often a gold mine. Streator is a town with a fascinating
                  history, but I really did not know about the Scottish part of it. That
                  is particularly interesting, given that when John got to Washington
                  state he married a woman of Scottish descent whose father was also a miner.

                  Karin Schuette Weiss

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
                    Karen -

                    Indeed I have seen them and I have looked for immigration records for
                    any Scorbys/Scerbas that make sense.

                    One other problem with John is that he changes his mind about some of
                    this later. Eventually he becomes Jack Scorby - I suspect this happens
                    whenever he marries Jessie Eades Ricketts. But in the 1930 census he is
                    Jack Scorby, living in Coquille Oregon married to Jessie, still a coal
                    miner, and now he says he was born in Illinois. He also registered for
                    the draft for WWII - as John Scorby - and there he says he was born in
                    Streator (misspelled Strator) Illinois.

                    According to the 1930 census his parents were born in Austria Hungary
                    and spoke Slovak. However, his father's birthplace is crossed out and
                    above it are the initials E.N.S. Doing a little research, I think this
                    means European Non State. Which may mean that the place Jack said his
                    father came from was, at that time, in flux, and it was uncertain where
                    it belonged. Maybe someone has more information about this notation?

                    In 1940 Jack is still living in Coquille Oregon with Jessie, still a
                    coal miner, still born in Illinois.

                    Karin Schuette Weiss

                    On 4/10/2013 8:49 PM, Karen C wrote:

                    > Hello Karin, Well looks like you are covering all of your bases. I
                    > did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
                    > Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria. He also indicated on
                    > his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
                    > naturalization. In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S.
                    > in 1887 or 1889. Have you seen these records and have you tried
                    > to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.
                    >
                    > Karen

                  • Karin Weiss
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2013
                      Do you happen to know what the Castle Garden records might be called in
                      the Ancestry Card Catalog?

                      Karin

                      On 4/10/2013 9:12 PM, MGMojher wrote:

                      > Karin and Karen,
                      > Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have
                      > gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island
                      > there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden
                      > records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry
                      > with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden
                      > records to search.

                    • Karen C
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
                        Hello Karin,

                        This is going to be a long shot but here goes...  I found an ancestry indexed record in 1900 of a John Sabol (b. Jan. 1886 in Austria), all other children in the family were born staring in 1887 in Illinois.  His parents listed as Andrew & Mary.  The census record is very faded but shows them living at 1507 Union.  On the previous pages at 1401 Union lived John & Mary Scorbie.  I never find another Andrew and Mary, but I do find Andrew and Susan (Susanna) living again at 1507 Union.
                        http://tinyurl.com/cceg5kx

                        I also found Andrew (widow) with children Andrew Jr. (b. 1897), Emma (b. 1904) & Mary (b. 1901).  This puts he number of children from 7 in 1900 census to at least 9 by 1904.  On the previous page is an Andrew & Suzie Sabol living at 1504 Union, arrival 1889.
                        http://tinyurl.com/d26sdc5

                        The above record fits month/year of birth (Jan 1886), place of birth (Austria on some records) and immigration at age 1 on some records.  They live in Streator and down the street from a Scorbie.  Is it possible that he could be a Sabol/Sabel but changed his name for some reason.  Or his family changed their name.

                        On ancestry.com
                        Andrew Scherba (death record)
                        http://tinyurl.com/brt7ry9%c2%a0%c2%a0

                        On www.findagrave.com
                        Russion Orthodox Cemetery there lists:

                        Andrew Scherba, 1852-1925

                        Susanna Scherba, 1855-1939

                        Riverview Cemetery lists:
                        Andrew Sabol, unknown-1924  (see death index on ancestry)
                        Mary Sabol, unknown-1916

                        Karen

                      • Karin Weiss
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
                          Karen C -

                          Long shot maybe - but wow. fascinating stuff, which I am now starting to
                          take a real good look at. So much of it does fit. Looking at the
                          children on that 1900 census along with the old photograph I have, they
                          make perfect sense as the seven oldest children in the photo. I've not
                          quite been able to do that with the John and Mary Bartko Scorby family -
                          even with all their children it has been problematic. I need to try and
                          trace this Sabol family a bit further and see what comes of it. Thank
                          you very much.

                          Karin Schuette Weiss