[S-R] Re: Vladimirova and Okruhle

  • vchromoho
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
      Curt, you are mostly right on target about this subject. However, re:

      >That is why you can't find citations for the Vladimirova name in any source documents, but only in American usage.

      The Brotherhood of St. Job of Pochaev associated with the Orthodox monastery in Ladomirova had a printing press that was very active in disseminating periodicals, prayerbooks, and other materials to the local Carpatho-Rusyn populace. For example:

      http://www.worldcat.org/title/pravoslavnaia-karpatskaia-rus/oclc/17266673

      Pravoslavnaia karpatskaia Rusʹ
      Author: Bratstvo prep. Iova Pochaevskago.
      Publisher: Vladimirova, Slovakia : Bratstvo prepodobnago Iova Pochaevskago, 1928-1935.
      Edition/Format: Journal, magazine : Periodical : State or province government publication : Microfilm : Master microform : Russian

      Note that the place of publication is "Vladimirova". So this name was used in Ladomirova, and wherever in Czechoslovakia (and the U.S.) these publications were distributed, by this particular community.

      In 1944 the monastic community fled the advancing Soviet Army and ended up at the Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, New York in 1946. The printery was set up there and continues to be active to the present day.

      "In 1946, fourteen new monks arrived at Jordanville, headed by Bishop Seraphim (Ivanov). These included some of the future leaders of the Russian Church Abroad, including the future Metropolitan Laurus (Škurla), who was then Novice Vasily.[13] The brotherhood was originally based in the St. Job of Pochaev Monastery in Ladomirová, Czechoslovakia, which had been founded by Archbishop Vitaly when he was still an archimandrite. After a brief stay in Munich, the Brotherhood accepted the invitation of Bishop Vitaly to join the struggling Brotherhood at Jordanville, resulting in the largest Orthodox Monastery in America. The Brotherhood of St. Job brought St. Job's printing press with them across the Atlantic, and, until the fall of the Soviet Union, Holy Trinity Monastery was the only place in the world that could typeset in Church Slavonic."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurus_%28%C5%A0kurla%29

      You can find many histories of the Jordanville monastery, Metropolitan Laurus, etc., that name Ladomirova as "Vladimirovo," "Vladimirova," or even "Ladimirovo" trying to Russianize it as much as possible.

      Rich