Re: [S-R] New Member - Scorby/Scerba/Scorba and Bartko

  • Karin
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5 4:09 PM
      We are away for the weekend, so it will be at least Monday before I can check my data, but I am pretty sure I have done this more than once and either came up with no obits or they were no help with this issue.

      That said, it is always worth checking multiple times, as more and more information becomes available, and it would not be the first time I found something on the fifth or sixth try.

      Thanks for the suggestion.

      Sent from Karin's widget

      On Apr 5, 2013, at 7:13 AM, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

      > Have you considered looking for the obits of John and Mary to see who are listed as their children?
      >
      > >________________________________

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6 11:37 AM
        As you check your research, just wondering if you have tried using a public library to look through Microfilms for a copy of an obituary?  Found this gen web URL that lists libraries that have copies of newspapers in the area.

        http://www.orgenweb.org/coos/library.htm%c2%a0

        I didn't find anything on any of the newspaper sites that I belong to.

        Karen

      • Karin Weiss
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9 3:29 PM
          On 4/5/2013 7:13 AM, Margo Smith wrote:

          > Have you considered looking for the obits of John and Mary to see who
          > are listed as their children?

          I did in fact find an obit for Mary Bartko Scorby some time ago. She
          died in 1921 in Streator, Illinois, and there was an obituary in the
          Streator Daily Free Press. According to that, she was survived by her
          husband, John, and by six children - five at home and one daughter in
          Orient, Illinois. The five children at home were George, Steve, John,
          Frank and Rose. That is not our John. That would be a son born in 1902.

          I have baptismal records I obtained from the Peoria Catholic Diocese and
          from St. Michael the Archangel Parish (was St. Stephen Roman Catholic
          Church) for 12 children born to John and Mary. They had three sons
          named John (1886, 1888 and 1902) and two daughters named Mary (1885 and
          1896). The entire family in order: Anna, Maria, John, John, George and
          Theresa (twins), Stephen, Maria, Emma, John, Rose and Frank. I know
          from census records that some of these children died, but don't yet know
          which ones. It is a slow process obtaining records from the Diocese, as
          I can only ask for four at a time. I will be asking for four deaths of
          children next and then I will begin to know more.

          I do know that our John claims he was born in 1886. His draft
          registrations and later census records and death certificate all bear
          that date. John and Mary had a son named John that year. I know of a
          family in my ancestry (a German family) who named six sons Frederick.
          Only one died. They only actually called one Fred. And thus far I
          cannot fit our John into any other Scorby family. So until I see that
          he dies, I guess I've been hanging on to the hope that they chose to
          forget him after he left home. He appears to be the only one who
          strayed very far.

          The Andrew Scorby family had two children - Andrew and Susie.

          Then there was the Joseph and Susan Bartko Scorby family. It appears
          very possible that Joseph Scorby was a brother to John Scorby and Susan
          Bartko may have been a sister to Mary Bartko. I believe they had seven
          children - Anna, Mary, Susanna, Clara, John, Stephen and Agnes. Not
          enough for the photograph.

          I am very much open to suggestions.

          Karin Schuette Weiss.

          > >________________________________

        • Karin Weiss
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 9 4:23 PM
            Karen - I have used that particular web site quite a lot, as my
            husband's family is almost all in the area of Coos and Curry County.
            Also we have visited the Bandon Museum, a really fine small museum - one
            of the best I have been to and I am a great fan of museums. They
            provided me with many obits - very few Scorby obits, though. None for
            John. Or Jessie, his second wife.

            Or third - there is an outside chance he married a woman named Mabel
            Holmes at a very young age in Streator. Then they went to Colorado,
            divorced , went back to Streator separately, and then John went to
            Washington state and then Oregon. I still need to order that divorce
            record. I do have the marriage record and it looks to be yet another
            John Scorby.

            It does strike me, though, that I have not visited either the Bandon or
            the Coquille Libraries, and I ought to do that. We are in Bandon a few
            times a year, as my husband's parents live there. I will make a point
            to do that soon. Thank you for pointing me in that direction. I have
            found a great deal of interest in searching microfilms of the old
            newspapers from the Wisconsin town where my father's family came from -
            it has been fascinating. You learn things you can't learn any other way.

            Karin Schuette Weiss

            On 4/6/2013 11:37 AM, Karen C wrote:

            > As you check your research, just wondering if you have tried using a
            > public library to look through Microfilms for a copy of an obituary?
            > Found this gen web URL that lists libraries that have copies of
            > newspapers in the area.
            >
            > http://www.orgenweb.org/coos/library.htm
            >
            > I didn't find anything on any of the newspaper sites that I belong to.
            >
            > Karen

          • rd1995
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10 8:11 PM
              Is it possible that there was a Scorby/Scerba/Scorba family back then that was not Roman Catholic? Maybe they were Lutheran or Evangelical? Maybe the baptism records are in another church, even in a nearby town?

              The way that Jack/John's family hasn't turned up in the Censuses must be frustrating. Could they have lived in another ward of Streator or perhaps even Spring Valley or Braidwood?

              I stumbled across a book from a university press that, although it is ostensibly trying to discuss how Scottish miners in Streator compared with their cousins in Scotland in the 19th century, the book also has a lot about the mine employers and mix of different ethnic groups as workers in the Streator Illinois area. It's called "Colliers Across the Sea" by John H. M. Laslett.

              You can see a lot in previews through Amazon: how many Slovaks ended up in the area called "Coalville", how a young Czech Anton Cermak (later Chicago mayor, killed in an assassination attempt on FDR) once lived in Braidwood, how the houses were tinderboxes and burned down often, all the strikes, etc.

              I think it would be worth asking your local public library to borrow a copy through Interlibrary Loan, if only for background. The book's references might also give you some ideas. For example, I saw a reference to WPA interviews in the book's bibliography, but they don't seem to be digitized in the Library of Congress' small WPA section online.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10 8:49 PM
                Hello Karin,  Well looks like you are covering all of your bases.  I did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
                Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria.  He also indicated on his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
                naturalization.  In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S. in 1887 or 1889.  Have you seen these records and have you tried
                to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.

                Karen

              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 10 9:12 PM
                  Karin and Karen,
                  Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden records to search.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11 9:47 AM
                    RD -

                    Good point about the religion, since I still have no proof of the
                    family. I have a busy schedule the next couple days and weekend, but am
                    putting a note in my calendar for Monday to make a call or calls to
                    Lutheran/Evangelical churches in the Streator area to see what I might
                    be able to find.

                    And I have ordered the book through ILL - it does look like it should be
                    very interesting and quite possibly helpful - especially the references
                    - those are often a gold mine. Streator is a town with a fascinating
                    history, but I really did not know about the Scottish part of it. That
                    is particularly interesting, given that when John got to Washington
                    state he married a woman of Scottish descent whose father was also a miner.

                    Karin Schuette Weiss

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11 11:47 AM
                      Karen -

                      Indeed I have seen them and I have looked for immigration records for
                      any Scorbys/Scerbas that make sense.

                      One other problem with John is that he changes his mind about some of
                      this later. Eventually he becomes Jack Scorby - I suspect this happens
                      whenever he marries Jessie Eades Ricketts. But in the 1930 census he is
                      Jack Scorby, living in Coquille Oregon married to Jessie, still a coal
                      miner, and now he says he was born in Illinois. He also registered for
                      the draft for WWII - as John Scorby - and there he says he was born in
                      Streator (misspelled Strator) Illinois.

                      According to the 1930 census his parents were born in Austria Hungary
                      and spoke Slovak. However, his father's birthplace is crossed out and
                      above it are the initials E.N.S. Doing a little research, I think this
                      means European Non State. Which may mean that the place Jack said his
                      father came from was, at that time, in flux, and it was uncertain where
                      it belonged. Maybe someone has more information about this notation?

                      In 1940 Jack is still living in Coquille Oregon with Jessie, still a
                      coal miner, still born in Illinois.

                      Karin Schuette Weiss

                      On 4/10/2013 8:49 PM, Karen C wrote:

                      > Hello Karin, Well looks like you are covering all of your bases. I
                      > did notice on a few records (1910 & 1920 census) that John
                      > Scorby indicated he was born in 1886 in Austria. He also indicated on
                      > his WWI registration that he was a citizen by his father's
                      > naturalization. In the 1910 census it states that he came to the U.S.
                      > in 1887 or 1889. Have you seen these records and have you tried
                      > to find an arrival record or a naturalization record.
                      >
                      > Karen

                    • Karin Weiss
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 11 1:31 PM
                        Do you happen to know what the Castle Garden records might be called in
                        the Ancestry Card Catalog?

                        Karin

                        On 4/10/2013 9:12 PM, MGMojher wrote:

                        > Karin and Karen,
                        > Before Ellis Island was Castle Gardens that John Scorby would have
                        > gone through. The problem is during the early years of Ellis Island
                        > there was a fire that destroyed a big portion of the Castle Garden
                        > records. My own relatives I have never been able to find their entry
                        > with their arrival in 1888-89. Ancestry.com has some Castle Garden
                        > records to search.

                      • Karen C
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 14 9:54 AM
                          Hello Karin,

                          This is going to be a long shot but here goes...  I found an ancestry indexed record in 1900 of a John Sabol (b. Jan. 1886 in Austria), all other children in the family were born staring in 1887 in Illinois.  His parents listed as Andrew & Mary.  The census record is very faded but shows them living at 1507 Union.  On the previous pages at 1401 Union lived John & Mary Scorbie.  I never find another Andrew and Mary, but I do find Andrew and Susan (Susanna) living again at 1507 Union.
                          http://tinyurl.com/cceg5kx

                          I also found Andrew (widow) with children Andrew Jr. (b. 1897), Emma (b. 1904) & Mary (b. 1901).  This puts he number of children from 7 in 1900 census to at least 9 by 1904.  On the previous page is an Andrew & Suzie Sabol living at 1504 Union, arrival 1889.
                          http://tinyurl.com/d26sdc5

                          The above record fits month/year of birth (Jan 1886), place of birth (Austria on some records) and immigration at age 1 on some records.  They live in Streator and down the street from a Scorbie.  Is it possible that he could be a Sabol/Sabel but changed his name for some reason.  Or his family changed their name.

                          On ancestry.com
                          Andrew Scherba (death record)
                          http://tinyurl.com/brt7ry9%c2%a0%c2%a0

                          On www.findagrave.com
                          Russion Orthodox Cemetery there lists:

                          Andrew Scherba, 1852-1925

                          Susanna Scherba, 1855-1939

                          Riverview Cemetery lists:
                          Andrew Sabol, unknown-1924  (see death index on ancestry)
                          Mary Sabol, unknown-1916

                          Karen

                        • Karin Weiss
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 14 1:32 PM
                            Karen C -

                            Long shot maybe - but wow. fascinating stuff, which I am now starting to
                            take a real good look at. So much of it does fit. Looking at the
                            children on that 1900 census along with the old photograph I have, they
                            make perfect sense as the seven oldest children in the photo. I've not
                            quite been able to do that with the John and Mary Bartko Scorby family -
                            even with all their children it has been problematic. I need to try and
                            trace this Sabol family a bit further and see what comes of it. Thank
                            you very much.

                            Karin Schuette Weiss