Kasa Ship Manifest

  • angela
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to interpret the name of someone on a ship manifest. I've uploaded the file (NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_294460536.jpg). On line 23 is my great great uncle Jan Kasa. It says he is going to a cousin in New Salem, PA. It almost looks like the cousin's name is Venslel Kasa, but I've never heard of such a name. Could someone who is more familiar with Slovak or Hungarian names give me some advice on what it actually is?

      Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?

      Thanks!
      Angela
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Vendel Kasa

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "angela" <dayzednconfyused@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm trying to interpret the name of someone on a ship manifest. I've uploaded the file (NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_294460536.jpg). On line 23 is my great great uncle Jan Kasa. It says he is going to a cousin in New Salem, PA. It almost looks like the cousin's name is Venslel Kasa, but I've never heard of such a name. Could someone who is more familiar with Slovak or Hungarian names give me some advice on what it actually is?
        >
        > Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Angela

      • angela
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
          Thank you, John! I just found him in the Slovak baptismal records.

          ________________________________
          > I'm trying to interpret the name of someone on a ship manifest. I've uploaded the file (NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_294460536.jpg). On line 23 is my great great uncle Jan Kasa. It says he is going to a cousin in New Salem, PA. It almost looks like the cousin's name is Venslel Kasa, but I've never heard of such a name. Could someone who is more familiar with Slovak or Hungarian names give me some advice on what it actually is?
          >
          > Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Angela

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
            Angela,
            >>>" Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?"<<<

            It almost looks like a street address, but I can't imagine New Salem even having street addresses in 1906. We are in Fayette County, PA, right?
            Have you looked at KASA, Vendelin in Ellis Island manifests yet? In 1907 he *returns* from "Letznocz"(previously in New Salem 1905/1907), to cousin Jan Kasa(now in Uniontown,Pa),from his mother , KASA Alzbeta,Peterfaly.
            Then in 1911, there's another manifest, maybe the same Vendelin again, but can't view it at the moment.

            TOM

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "angela" <dayzednconfyused@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I'm trying to interpret the name of someone on a ship manifest. I've uploaded the file (NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_294460536.jpg). On line 23 is my great great uncle Jan Kasa. It says he is going to a cousin in New Salem, PA. It almost looks like the cousin's name is Venslel Kasa, but I've never heard of such a name. Could someone who is more familiar with Slovak or Hungarian names give me some advice on what it actually is?
            > >
            > > Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Angela

          • angela
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
              Tom,

              Yes Fayette County, PA.

              I just found the two manifests and itis the same Vendelin. It says in the 1911 manifest that he is going to his brother John, but I think this is really his cousin. I don't believe he had a brother Jan.

              Thank you for pointing these out!

              Angela

              ________________________________
              >>>" Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?"<<<

              It almost looks like a street address, but I can't imagine New Salem even having street addresses in 1906. We are in Fayette County, PA, right?
              Have you looked at KASA, Vendelin in Ellis Island manifests yet? In 1907 he *returns* from "Letznocz"(previously in New Salem 1905/1907), to cousin Jan Kasa(now in Uniontown,Pa),from his mother , KASA Alzbeta,Peterfaly.
              Then in 1911, there's another manifest, maybe the same Vendelin again, but can't view it at the moment.

              TOM

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "angela" <dayzednconfyused@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I'm trying to interpret the name of someone on a ship manifest. I've uploaded the file (NewYorkPassengerLists18201957_294460536.jpg). On line 23 is my great great uncle Jan Kasa. It says he is going to a cousin in New Salem, PA. It almost looks like the cousin's name is Venslel Kasa, but I've never heard of such a name. Could someone who is more familiar with Slovak or Hungarian names give me some advice on what it actually is?
              > >
              > > Also, any idea what the address after New Salem might be?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > Angela

            • t.salony
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
                Angela,
                *On the other hand*, the 1911 manifest does not show this Vendelin as a "Nonimmigrant Alien", nor as having previously been in the U.S., while the 1907 manifest DID. Did you notice 1911 is leaving his wife, Anna KASA at Letonocz 41 _________, Hung ?

                TOM
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, angela <dayzednconfyused@...> wrote:

                > Tom,
                >
                > Yes Fayette County, PA.
                >
                > I just found the two manifests and itis the same Vendelin. It says in the 1911 manifest that he is going to his brother John, but I think this is really his cousin. I don't believe he had a brother Jan.
                >
                > Thank you for pointing these out!
                >
                > Angela

              • angela
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
                  Tom,

                  I went back to double check and on the second page of the manifest it says that Vendelin was in the country from 1907-1910 living in Brier Hill, PA (it's spelled wrong on the manifest). This is definitely where Jan Kassa lived because I know his daughter was born there. It also says on Vendelin's baptism record that he married an Anna Rusek in 1910 in Letnicie. So I think that it all fits pretty well.

                  Thank you again!

                  Angela