Re: Vladimirova and Okruhle

  • t.salony
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
      Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
      It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:

      Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
      www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
      ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...

      However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
      Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
      A puzzle.

      TOM

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
      > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Patricia

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
        Tom, et al.
        Ladomirova is the village, and that is its Rusyn name.
        After the Russian Revolution some Russian Orthodox clergy were exiled, including Fr. Maximenko, who eventually came to the U.S. and became an archbishop. During a part of his exile he worked in Svidnik and Ladomirova setting up and serving orthodox and converting Greek Catholics. Among these Russians, they called the village Vladimirova, a name for several villages and provincial towns in Russia. This was all unofficial and so is not a part of Hungarian, Slovak, or Rusyn traditions language or history. Thus you won't find it on Cisarik or even the histories of the village.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

        > Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
        > It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:
        >
        > Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
        > www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
        > ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...
        >
        > However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
        > Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
        > A puzzle.
        >
        > TOM
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
        > > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
        > >
        > > Thanks for your help.
        > >
        > > Patricia

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
          Curt,
          Thanks for the explanation of why it isn't listed in the typically useful resources. And yes, I just found a reference to the village actually being what we know as Ladomirova.

          TOM

          > Tom, et al.
          > Ladomirova is the village, and that is its Rusyn name.
          > After the Russian Revolution some Russian Orthodox clergy were exiled, including Fr. Maximenko, who eventually came to the U.S. and became an archbishop. During a part of his exile he worked in Svidnik and Ladomirova setting up and serving orthodox and converting Greek Catholics. Among these Russians, they called the village Vladimirova, a name for several villages and provincial towns in Russia. This was all unofficial and so is not a part of Hungarian, Slovak, or Rusyn traditions language or history. Thus you won't find it on Cisarik or even the histories of the village.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
          > > It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:
          > >
          > > Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
          > > www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
          > > ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...
          > >
          > > However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
          > > Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
          > > A puzzle.
          > >
          > > TOM
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
          > > > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for your help.
          > > >
          > > > Patricia

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
            Curt,
            Thanks for the explanation of why it isn't listed in the typically useful resources. And yes, I just found a reference to the village actually being what we know as Ladomirova.

            TOM

            > Tom, et al.
            > Ladomirova is the village, and that is its Rusyn name.
            > After the Russian Revolution some Russian Orthodox clergy were exiled, including Fr. Maximenko, who eventually came to the U.S. and became an archbishop. During a part of his exile he worked in Svidnik and Ladomirova setting up and serving orthodox and converting Greek Catholics. Among these Russians, they called the village Vladimirova, a name for several villages and provincial towns in Russia. This was all unofficial and so is not a part of Hungarian, Slovak, or Rusyn traditions language or history. Thus you won't find it on Cisarik or even the histories of the village.
            >
            > Curt B.
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
            > > It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:
            > >
            > > Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
            > > www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
            > > ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...
            > >
            > > However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
            > > Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
            > > A puzzle.
            > >
            > > TOM
            > >
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
            > > > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for your help.
            > > >
            > > > Patricia

          • Patricia Ehret
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
              Dear Tom et al,

              Very interesting.  My great grandfather born in 1889 in what he said was "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia" was supposedly
              Slovak but with a last name like Jastrepsky aren't some names with the suffix "sky" Rusyn do you know?  I did see a town
              called Jastreb/p in Slovakia and thought sky meant "son of" but I'm not sure?  Can you tell me where the best place to look
              for the history of this village at this point in time is?  Where did you find your information?

              I really appreciate your input.  Thank you so much!

              Sincerely,

              Patricia

              ________________________________
              Ladomirova is the village, and that is its Rusyn name.
              After the Russian Revolution some Russian Orthodox clergy were exiled, including Fr. Maximenko, who eventually came to the U.S. and became an archbishop. During a part of his exile he worked in Svidnik and Ladomirova setting up and serving orthodox and converting Greek Catholics. Among these Russians, they called the village Vladimirova, a name for several villages and provincial towns in Russia. This was all unofficial and so is not a part of Hungarian, Slovak, or Rusyn traditions language or history. Thus you won't find it on Cisarik or even the histories of the village.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

              > Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
              > It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:
              >
              > Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
              > www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
              > ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...
              >
              > However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
              > Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
              > A puzzle.
              >
              > TOM
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
              > > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help.
              > >
              > > Patricia

            • Patricia Ehret
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
                Also, Tom you said "among these Russians" which you indicated was after the revolution calling this town Vladimirova.
                Since my gr. grandfather immigrated much before the revolution and had said he was born there, there must have been a history
                of this town having been called Vladimirova for quite some time for him to have referred to it as such don't you suppose?  I would
                love to read more about it.

                Patricia

                ________________________________
                Thanks for the explanation of why it isn't listed in the typically useful resources. And yes, I just found a reference to the village actually being what we know as Ladomirova.

                TOM

                > Tom, et al.
                > Ladomirova is the village, and that is its Rusyn name.
                > After the Russian Revolution some Russian Orthodox clergy were exiled, including Fr. Maximenko, who eventually came to the U.S. and became an archbishop. During a part of his exile he worked in Svidnik and Ladomirova setting up and serving orthodox and converting Greek Catholics. Among these Russians, they called the village Vladimirova, a name for several villages and provincial towns in Russia. This was all unofficial and so is not a part of Hungarian, Slovak, or Rusyn traditions language or history. Thus you won't find it on Cisarik or even the histories of the village.
                >
                > Curt B.
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Regarding "Vladimirova, Czechoslovakia":
                > > It's odd not finding any clue on Cisarik , yet here (if I can copy it correctly) is the first, and maybe only non-surname, reference when searching via Google:
                > >
                > > Builder of the Church – Archbishop Vitaly Maximenko
                > > www.roca.org/OA/98-99/98f.htm
                > > ... the Carpatho-Russian village of Vladimirova, near Czechoslovakia's border with Poland. Many Carpatho-Russians had gone to America temporarily to work, ...
                > >
                > > However, when searching "Vladimirova" on Morse Gold Search, nothing but a couple Yugoslavia results come up. So obviously, there must have been a different name used by those "Many Carpatho-Russians...".
                > > Obviously someone used the name in relation to the village where Archbishop Maximenko was in charge, but I couldn't find it in any Rusyn village list either.
                > > A puzzle.
                > >
                > > TOM
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know where Vladimirova, Czecholovakia in 1889 was and if it is one and the same as
                > > > the village Ladomirova?  Also what district/area was Okruhle, Czechoslovakia during early 1900's part of?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for your help.
                > > >
                > > > Patricia

              • Patricia Ehret
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
                  So Kerekret must be the Hungarian name for this town then because my gr. grandfather referred to it much before WWI
                  as Okruhle which must be the Slovak name so it obviously was known as both depending on who was talking as I guess
                  all towns were given my understanding.  Thanks for the map link!

                  Patricia

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
                    Okrúhle
                    Okruhle includes former villages: | Sapinec |
                    | SURNAMES from current phonebook in 2005 | SURNAMES from CENSUS in 1715 |

                    OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                    1773 Kerekréth, Okruhle, 1786 Kerekrét, Okruhle, 1808 Kerekrét, Okruhlé, 1863–1913 Kerekrét, 1920–1973 Okruhlé, 1973– Okrúhle
                    Šapinec: 1773 Sapinecz, 1786 Schapinecz, 1808 Sapinecz, Ssapiněc, 1863, 1888–1902 Sapinyec, 1873–1882 Sapinec, 1907–1913 Sápony, 1920 Šapinec, 1927–1964 Šapínec [1964– Šapinec]

                    POPULATION of Okruhle in 2005: 641 inhabitants

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29, 2013
                      Patricia,
                      Perhaps you misunderstood my comments. It was here in the United States where most of the people from the area joined the Russian Orthodox church that they started calling the village Vladimirova. It seemed to catch on, many used it, and you can still find people here using that name for the village. As far as I know it was always called Ladomirova in Hungary and then Slovakia, situated on the Ladomirka river. That is why you can't find citations for the Vladimirova name in any source documents, but only in American usage.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Ehret <loqipei@...> wrote:

                      > Also, Tom you said "among these Russians" which you indicated was after the revolution calling this town Vladimirova.
                      > Since my gr. grandfather immigrated much before the revolution and had said he was born there, there must have been a history
                      > of this town having been called Vladimirova for quite some time for him to have referred to it as such don't you suppose?  I would
                      > love to read more about it.
                      >
                      > Patricia
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 30, 2013
                        >>> My great grandfather born in 1889 in what he said was ... but with a last name like [Jastrepsky] <<<

                        Would you consider Vladiszlav JACSEMSZKY, BORN 27 fEB 1889?

                        Birth is on page 623/673.

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12318-227192-60?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-8CD:n1985659534
                      • vchromoho
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6, 2013
                          Curt, you are mostly right on target about this subject. However, re:

                          >That is why you can't find citations for the Vladimirova name in any source documents, but only in American usage.

                          The Brotherhood of St. Job of Pochaev associated with the Orthodox monastery in Ladomirova had a printing press that was very active in disseminating periodicals, prayerbooks, and other materials to the local Carpatho-Rusyn populace. For example:

                          http://www.worldcat.org/title/pravoslavnaia-karpatskaia-rus/oclc/17266673

                          Pravoslavnaia karpatskaia Rusʹ
                          Author: Bratstvo prep. Iova Pochaevskago.
                          Publisher: Vladimirova, Slovakia : Bratstvo prepodobnago Iova Pochaevskago, 1928-1935.
                          Edition/Format: Journal, magazine : Periodical : State or province government publication : Microfilm : Master microform : Russian

                          Note that the place of publication is "Vladimirova". So this name was used in Ladomirova, and wherever in Czechoslovakia (and the U.S.) these publications were distributed, by this particular community.

                          In 1944 the monastic community fled the advancing Soviet Army and ended up at the Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, New York in 1946. The printery was set up there and continues to be active to the present day.

                          "In 1946, fourteen new monks arrived at Jordanville, headed by Bishop Seraphim (Ivanov). These included some of the future leaders of the Russian Church Abroad, including the future Metropolitan Laurus (Škurla), who was then Novice Vasily.[13] The brotherhood was originally based in the St. Job of Pochaev Monastery in Ladomirová, Czechoslovakia, which had been founded by Archbishop Vitaly when he was still an archimandrite. After a brief stay in Munich, the Brotherhood accepted the invitation of Bishop Vitaly to join the struggling Brotherhood at Jordanville, resulting in the largest Orthodox Monastery in America. The Brotherhood of St. Job brought St. Job's printing press with them across the Atlantic, and, until the fall of the Soviet Union, Holy Trinity Monastery was the only place in the world that could typeset in Church Slavonic."

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurus_%28%C5%A0kurla%29

                          You can find many histories of the Jordanville monastery, Metropolitan Laurus, etc., that name Ladomirova as "Vladimirovo," "Vladimirova," or even "Ladimirovo" trying to Russianize it as much as possible.

                          Rich