help reading baptismal record

  • christine mackara
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
      Would someone be so kind and look at the Baptismal entry for Joseph Haniszka, on 1. Oct 1828.
      I would llike to know the occupation of Joannes Haniszka and also the occupation of the godparent.
      Could it be " molitar = miller ?
      Thank You, Christine

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22658-5822-70?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FJD:n1035086620

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
        Christine,

        Yes, the word is molitor = miller.

        The other one is monticola, which normally means a resident of the hills, or mountaineer; but maybe this writer means some kind of specific occupation. Maybe someone else knows something more specific.

        Curt B.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
          Thank you so much, Curt B.

          Now I have another question. Did a Miller change locations often ? Would he have gone to different mills to work ? This ancestor had 4 children, in Spisska Nova Ves , Smizany and Markusovce, within 10 years. All locations are near each other. Maybe he just changed were he lived, rather than change the work place ? Just curious.

          Christine

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
            Thank You, Curt B. for your quick answer.

            Christine

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2013
              Christine,
              Millers were more likely than others to change residence and work. Some changed more frequently and some stayed in one place a lifetime.
              There was usually a residence actually attached to the mill, or very near, so they changed residence. [They didn't have automobiles to drive to distant work, heh heh]

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 23, 2013
                Thank You, Curt B., you are right, that's how it was.

                We are just so exited, because we just found the baptismal entry for our grandfather in Levoca and a lot of things are falling into place. The entry was there of course all the time, but because of the handwriting, ect (I guess), we overlooked it and when Familysearch added more indexed names, we found it !! It's so exiting. We knew next to nothing about Joseph Haniszko/Hanisco before he came to this country. Thanks again for all the help from this group.

                Christine

                Millers were more likely than others to change residence and work. Some changed more frequently and some stayed in one place a lifetime.
                There was usually a residence actually attached to the mill, or very near, so they changed residence. [They didn't have automobiles to drive to distant work, heh heh]

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "christine mackara" <christine1931@...> wrote:

                > Thank you so much, Curt B.
                >
                > Now I have another question. Did a Miller change locations often ? Would he have gone to different mills to work ? This ancestor had 4 children, in Spisska Nova Ves , Smizany and Markusovce, within 10 years. All locations are near each other. Maybe he just changed were he lived, rather than change the work place ? Just curious.
                >
                > Christine

              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2013
                  Hi Christine,

                  I took a U. S. family who had your Hanisko surname to the village of Zavada. If you would like to contact them let me know at helenezx@...

                  how exciting for you to find info in the archives.

                  helene