Looking for Village

  • indulgencemama
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
      I am trying to find out where my husband's paternal Grandparents lived. My Mother-Inlaw wrote down that his Grandpa Turek was from Schavik,Spiska Zupa,Czechoslavkia,and he left the country in 1906. I guess I'm just wondering where this is at today or if it still exists.
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
        It's Spissky Stiavnik southeast of Poprad and on the edge of the Slovak Paradise. Find it on google maps.

        helene

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
          What is the given name of Grandpa Turek and the area in the states that he lived in?
          I am looking for Andrew/Andy Turek /Turak 1872-74 to 1952 who was married to my great aunt, Elizabeth Triscik/ Trescik and they lived in Pennsylvania and Iowa. I have a lot of the info for them in the US, and have been looking in Slovakia.
          Bette

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "indulgencemama" <martyt@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to find out where my husband's paternal Grandparents lived. My Mother-Inlaw wrote down that his Grandpa Turek was from Schavik,Spiska Zupa,Czechoslavkia,and he left the country in 1906. I guess I'm just wondering where this is at today or if it still exists.

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
            There was no listing for Schavik, but I believe the following may be that village:
            Spišský Štiavnik PP/PV spiš.
            1773 Scsavnik, Scavnik, Schafing, Scawnik, 1808 Savnik, Schawnik, Ssčawník, Ssťawník, 1863–1873, 1888, 1907–1913 Savnik, 1877–1882 Scsavnik, 1892 Sávnik, 1895–1902 Schavnik, 1920 Štiavnik, 1927–1948 Šťavník, 1948– Spišský Štiavnik

            http://www.cisarik.com/0_Spissky_Stiavnik_Poprad_PV_Szepes_Spis.html This site will give you a map where it is located, which is in the Spisska area, and the surnames there.

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "indulgencemama" <martyt@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to find out where my husband's paternal Grandparents lived. My Mother-Inlaw wrote down that his Grandpa Turek was from Schavik,Spiska Zupa,Czechoslavkia,and he left the country in 1906. I guess I'm just wondering where this is at today or if it still exists.

          • Marti

              wrote:

              > I am trying to find out where my husband's paternal Grandparents lived. My
              > Mother-Inlaw wrote down that his Grandpa Turek was from Schavik,Spiska
              > Zupa,Czechoslavkia,and he left the country in 1906. I guess I'm just
              > wondering where this is at today or if it still exists.

              Grandpa's name was John (his parents were Jacob & Dorothy Turek) and
              Grandma's maiden name was Katherine Hripko.

            • Marti
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                What is the given name of Grandpa Turek and the area in the states that he
                lived in?
                I am looking for Andrew/Andy Turek /Turak 1872-74 to 1952 who was married
                to my great aunt, Elizabeth Triscik/ Trescik and they lived in Pennsylvania
                and Iowa. I have a lot of the info for them in the US, and have been looking
                in Slovakia.
                Bette
                John went to Youngstown,Ohio, where he worked in the steel mills. It is
                where he married Katherine Hripko & raised 10 children,
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "indulgencemama" <martyt@...> wrote:

                > I am trying to find out where my husband's paternal Grandparents lived. My
                > Mother-Inlaw wrote down that his Grandpa Turek was from Schavik,Spiska
                > Zupa,Czechoslavkia,and he left the country in 1906. I guess I'm just
                > wondering where this is at today or if it still exists.

              • t.salony
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                  Okay, with fear of looking like an internet noob(to which I confess...), what am I missing here?
                  This is the 2nd "post" by someone calling herself "indulgencemama", but as far as I can see has nothing but a repetition of the posts to which she "replies".

> [...]
                • htcstech
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 19, 2013
                    Internet etiquette allows one to add to the post at the end of a reply
                    instead of the top of a reply. Look again.

                    Peter M.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Peter M.,
                      YIKES. Thanks but I'll pass. I looked at the 2 posts numerous times before posting my question, but couldn't find a new portion. The nuns taught me that there's only one proper way to do anything. I've overcome most others things they battered into my head, but this simplistic way of thinking won't be changed...way too late.

                      TOM
                      :)