1910 census

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17 11:16 PM
      Hello

      Inserted here is a page from 1910 US census. I sectioned off the portion
      that applies only to my Great Grandparents.

      What is written for language spoken for Mary Kamer (Komar)? All others
      listed appear to be English, but I cannot decipher for my Great Grandmother.

      Also, I am trying to obtain marriage document or immigration papers for Mary
      (born Repko) and John Komer (Komar). According to the census.....John came
      in 1880 and Mary in 1885

      Thank you in advance for your help.

      Rick

    • Carl
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18 5:51 AM
        Rick,
        You are not able to attach images to messages on Slovak Roots. But you can post them to the files or photos sections of the forum. I found numerous Mary and John Komars in the 1910 census. If they were the ones that lived in Yonkers, she was Slovenian.
        CK

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > Inserted here is a page from 1910 US census. I sectioned off the portion
        > that applies only to my Great Grandparents.
        >
        > What is written for language spoken for Mary Kamer (Komar)? All others
        > listed appear to be English, but I cannot decipher for my Great Grandmother.
        >
        > Also, I am trying to obtain marriage document or immigration papers for Mary
        > (born Repko) and John Komer (Komar). According to the census.....John came
        > in 1880 and Mary in 1885
        >
        > Thank you in advance for your help.
        >
        > Rick

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18 7:17 AM
          Rick,

          I found them by looking in the census, though you cannot attach items to your messages to Slovak-Roots; rather you normally have to upload images to files or photos.

          As you can see from what is written all over this and other nearby pages, the census taker in that district was challenged by the linguistic and country of origin problems. He clearly doesn't understand what to do with it. This is a common problem in the census with Slovaks. They are sometimes called just Austrians, sometimes called Hungarians, and sometimes Slovenians, and on occasion just Slovak.

          He is writing Aus[trian] Slavonic, for place of origin, as well as language spoken for lots of other people, as well as Mary Komar.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > Inserted here is a page from 1910 US census. I sectioned off the portion
          > that applies only to my Great Grandparents.
          >
          > What is written for language spoken for Mary Kamer (Komar)? All others
          > listed appear to be English, but I cannot decipher for my Great Grandmother.
          >
          > Also, I am trying to obtain marriage document or immigration papers for Mary
          > (born Repko) and John Komer (Komar). According to the census.....John came
          > in 1880 and Mary in 1885
          >
          > Thank you in advance for your help.
          >
          > Rick

        • Frank R Plichta
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18 7:23 AM
            Curt,

            It is also dependent on the dates involved. At one time or another the area
            from which they came did belong to Austria or Hungary. I agree that
            Slovenia is an incorrect choice.

            Frank

            _____

            , "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

            > Hello
            >
            > Inserted here is a page from 1910 US census. I sectioned off the portion
            > that applies only to my Great Grandparents.
            >
            > What is written for language spoken for Mary Kamer (Komar)? All others
            > listed appear to be English, but I cannot decipher for my Great
            Grandmother.

            > Also, I am trying to obtain marriage document or immigration papers for
            Mary
            > (born Repko) and John Komer (Komar). According to the census.....John came
            > in 1880 and Mary in 1885
            >
            > Thank you in advance for your help.
            >
            > Rick

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18 10:40 AM
              Frank,
              Each census from 1900 through 1940 had elaborate instructions as to how to deal with country of origin and language spoken in the home. In fact, however, most census surveyors apparently failed to read or follow the instructions. So such concerns are primarily dealt with by each census taker differently even in the same year. So in each census of the same year, it differs wildly from one census tract to another.

              In 1910 there is no recognizable language called Austrian
              Slavonic. But in this case Rick knows it must mean Slovak.

              Curt B.