Re: [S-R] Belnay

  • Lynne Wilson
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 17, 2013
      Zuzana- You told me there is a listing for a Belnay is Bratislava, in the 1995 Slovak Census. Can you tell me how to access this record? Thank you. Lynne

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Zuzana Peer <zuzana177@...> wrote:

      > Lynn,
      > there is Restaurant VRBICA in Liptovsky Mikulas, Verbeicz is not a Slovak word.
      >
      > Your Grandfather's name was probably Peter BELNAJ. Belnay is probably Hungarian version of his Slovak surname Belaj, which sounds very Slovak.
      >
      > Zuzana
      >

      > ________________________________

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 17, 2013
        Lynne,
        Here is a link where you can do your search - http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/toolbox.htm
        On the “Toolbox” page in the upper right is a column labeled “Places.”
        You will see the heading - Slovakia Surname & Settlement search (instructions), click on “(instructions)” to learn how to use the search engine, it is only in Slovak.
        From the title you can see you can do a search by Surname and Settlement. A surname search will give you the number of that surname found / nachádzalo 28×, and the number of locations / v lokalitách the surname is found in. Below that will be a list of the “top 10” locations the surname is found in and the number found.
        Conversely, the Settlement search means you type in a location. What will be of use is the list of names that the location was know by through out its history, so if you are searching records for a particular time period you know how it was spelled then. What follows is the “top 100” list of surnames for that location and the number that was found

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 17, 2013
          Zuzana- Thank you so very much for this helpful information. I see a very
          busy day ahead tomorrow. By the way, I found numerous baptism records for
          Belnay (Liptovsky Mikulas) on Family Search. So I have found past history
          but no current living relatives to date. Thank you again, Lynne