Re: [S-R] Re: Translation of marriage certificate

  • Nat T
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 16 4:31 PM
      Thank you Michael,

      I will try to do more research myself but if I find it too difficult then I may hire a certified genealogist.

      Thank you,
      Natasha

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 16 5:17 PM
        Hi Ron,

        Wow! Thank you for the website link to convert Cyrillic to English ...this is an amazing tool!!!!

        Thank you...I hope others in the group will find this site a useful tool.

        Natasha

        ________________________________
        While nothing will substitute for learning the language or hiring a translator, I wanted to recognize my family names if I encountered them in Cyrillic. I have played with Cyrillic long enough to recognize a word or two, but names look quite different in CAPS in small case, and in cursive. Happily Steve Morse solved my problem for me, and I was able to generate a collection of names in all three forms plus the Roman letters I am familiar with.

        Take a good look at
        http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

        and see if it helps you. No one else seems to care for the site, but it did me a lot of good!

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

        > Hello Curt,
        >
        > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
        >
        >  Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
        >
        > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Natasha

      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 17 12:09 PM
          Natasha,

          As we spoke,you need only contact Ivo....? He speaks some broken English and is very willing to help you as he is decsended from the same family....Ivo is quite capable of providing the information you need to complete your research....most of which now you know.

          Dennis