Re: Translation of marriage certificate

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 13, 2013
      Natasha,
      I forgot to mention that since some of your ancestors of Pcoline were Roman Catholic, you should also look at the church records of
      Snina. That is where their records are. These should be easier for you since they are not in Rusyn.

      Curt B.

      > Natasha,
      >
      > Since these are the original records, there are no transciptions or translations existing. These records are in the Rusyn language which uses the Cyrillic script. So you have to know both some of the language AND the script to do any research.
      >
      > How did you find the records you listed if you couldn't read them? If you have more such, I can translate them for you as well.
      >
      > A book for English readers to learn basic Rusyn and its print and script is in preparation but not ready yet. You can always hire a Slovak genealogist. There are many there who read these records.
      >
      > You may also want to join or see the posts on the Terek family on ancestry.com , Other researchers are investigating your family, including one who claims Vasil Terek is his grandfather. You can just google "Terek Pcoline" and read some of their messages.
      >
      > You can also try to learn just the Cyrillic script of Rusyn so you can at least read or identify some names. You can use the charts of Ukrainian handwriting that are found online. It is very close to Rusyn.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > Curt B.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Curt,
      > >
      > > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
      > >
      > >  Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
      > >
      > > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Natasha
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • Nat T
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
        Thank you Curt,

        I did not look at the Roman Catholic file thank you for the tip...hopefully I will have better luck.

        Natasha

        ________________________________
        I forgot to mention that since some of your ancestors of Pcoline were Roman Catholic, you should also look at the church records of
        Snina. That is where their records are. These should be easier for you since they are not in Rusyn.

        Curt B.

        > Natasha,
        >
        > Since these are the original records, there are no transciptions or translations existing. These records are in the Rusyn language which uses the Cyrillic script. So you have to know both some of the language AND the script to do any research.
        >
        > How did you find the records you listed if you couldn't read them? If you have more such, I can translate them for you as well.
        >
        > A book for English readers to learn basic Rusyn and its print and script is in preparation but not ready yet. You can always hire a Slovak genealogist. There are many there who read these records.
        >
        > You may also want to join or see the posts on the Terek family on ancestry.com , Other researchers are investigating your family, including one who claims Vasil Terek is his grandfather. You can just google "Terek Pcoline" and read some of their messages.
        >
        > You can also try to learn just the Cyrillic script of Rusyn so you can at least read or identify some names. You can use the charts of Ukrainian handwriting that are found online. It is very close to Rusyn.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >
        > Curt B.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello Curt,
        > >
        > > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
        > >
        > >  Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
        > >
        > > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Natasha
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • Nat T
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
          Thank you Joe.

          Natasha

          ________________________________
          Just a small thing, but I think the last name of the male witness is Kusnier. I think the crossed letter is the old letter jat ("je"), compare to the priest Aleksjej in the next column.

          Joe

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

          > Hello Curt,
          >
          > Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate that you translated the marriage record for me.
          > I had got the document from the LDS.org file #1793321. Which is a collection of Greek Catholic Church records from Pcoline, Snina, Slovakia.
          >
          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12328-42712-25?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-WFV:366804661
          >

          > I need this information so I can start a family tree. I did not know who were my grandfather's parents. So hopefully now maybe I can try to find some of his siblings.
          >
          > Thank you once again!!!
          >
          > Natasha
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Nat T
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
            Hello Ron,

            Thank you for giving this tip. Hopefully this will help me find my great grandparents whose records are in Cyrillic.

            take care,

            Natasha

            ________________________________
            While nothing will substitute for learning the language or hiring a translator, I wanted to recognize my family names if I encountered them in Cyrillic. I have played with Cyrillic long enough to recognize a word or two, but names look quite different in CAPS in small case, and in cursive. Happily Steve Morse solved my problem for me, and I was able to generate a collection of names in all three forms plus the Roman letters I am familiar with.

            Take a good look at
            http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

            and see if it helps you. No one else seems to care for the site, but it did me a lot of good!

            Ron

          • Nat T
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
              Hello Curt,

              Thank you for your suggestions. I thought of hiring a Slovak genalogist but I think it would get expensive. I saw one was charging $100 per hour. That is why I thought I would tackle the research myself. My cousin Milan has been doing research and did not find find anything so I decided to see if I would have better luck. I got this marriage announcement from a relative that is related to my grandmother's side of the family however, she did not have anything else that pertains to my grandfather.

              I thought of joining ancestry.com but it is expensive for me at this point since we have an enormous amount of medical bills to pay. But nonetheless I will google the discussion group and see what comes up. I will try to learn or at least memorize my families name so  I can find document s pertaining to them. How did you learn Rusyn?

              Thank you for all you suggestions. I really appreciate it!

              Natasha

              ________________________________
              Since these are the original records, there are no transciptions or translations existing. These records are in the Rusyn language which uses the Cyrillic script. So you have to know both some of the language AND the script to do any research.

              How did you find the records you listed if you couldn't read them? If you have more such, I can translate them for you as well.

              A book for English readers to learn basic Rusyn and its print and script is in preparation but not ready yet. You can always hire a Slovak genealogist. There are many there who read these records.

              You may also want to join or see the posts on the Terek family on ancestry.com , Other researchers are investigating your family, including one who claims Vasil Terek is his grandfather. You can just google "Terek Pcoline" and read some of their messages.

              You can also try to learn just the Cyrillic script of Rusyn so you can at least read or identify some names. You can use the charts of Ukrainian handwriting that are found online. It is very close to Rusyn.

              Good luck!

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

              > Hello Curt,
              >
              > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
              >
              >  Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
              >
              > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Natasha
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Sue Martin
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
                Last year I hired a woman who doesn't speak English (but whose grandson does, and served as an interpreter). She did some prior research on my family, and then took us around for a day, including a visit to one of the regional archives. She charged virtually nothing. I would be pleased to share her name if you'd like.

                This year I want to go back, but I feel the need for more detailed examination of a couple of problems I've run into, so I may ask one of the genealogists who charges more but who also speaks English. I haven't decided yet.

                Sue

                --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

                > Hello Curt,
                >
                > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
                >
                > Â Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
                >
                > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
                >
                > Thank you,
                >
                > Natasha
                >

                > ________________________________

              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
                  Natasha,
                  I know certified genealogists that charge $20 an hour. Your $100 and hour guy is in “left field” when it comes to his rate. If you are interested write me.
                  Michael Mojher

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Curt,
                  >
                  > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
                  >
                  > Â Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
                  >
                  > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Natasha
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Bette
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
                    Natasha,
                    There are a few messages on slovak-roots posted in October 2010. Look
                    up posts #27845 and 27844, re: Terek, Torok, and Rak families written
                    by Milan, I guess that is your cousin.
                    patskanovo Re: TEREK, TOROK, and RAK Families saying he was researching
                    the Terek family of Pcoline for a friend living in Slovakia. You might
                    want to write to him to see what he has found.
                    Bette

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 14, 2013
                      >>> there was a recent post on Dec 25, 2012 from patskanovo Re: TEREK, TOROK, and RAK Families saying he was researching the Terek family of Pcoline for a friend living in Slovakia. You might want to write to him to see what he has found.<<<

                      patskanovo is a regular on this site.
                    • Nat T
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 16, 2013
                        Hi,

                        I just want to say thank you to everyone that has responded to my posts and helped me translate my grandparents marriage announcement. Also, thank you for also providing me with advice and suggestions to reading Cyrillic and helping me locate other Terek family members that had posted previously and on other sites. I am grateful I found this wonderful site with great people that are willing to help.

                        God bless you all!!!

                        Sincerely, Natasha

                        ________________________________
                        There are a few messages on slovak-roots posted in October 2010. Look
                        up posts #27845 and 27844, re: Terek, Torok, and Rak families written
                        by Milan, I guess that is your cousin.
                        patskanovo Re: TEREK, TOROK, and RAK Families saying he was researching
                        the Terek family of Pcoline for a friend living in Slovakia. You might
                        want to write to him to see what he has found.
                        Bette
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Curt,
                        >
                        > Thank you for your suggestions. I thought of hiring a Slovak
                        genalogist but I think it would get expensive. I saw one was charging
                        $100 per hour. That is why I thought I would tackle the research myself.
                        My cousin Milan has been doing research and did not find find anything
                        so I decided to see if I would have better luck. I got this marriage
                        announcement from a relative that is related to my grandmother's side of
                        the family however, she did not have anything else that pertains to my
                        grandfather.

                        > I thought of joining ancestry.com but it is expensive for me at this
                        point since we have an enormous amount of medical bills to pay. But
                        nonetheless I will google the discussion group and see what comes up. I
                        will try to learn or at least memorize my families name so I can
                        find document s pertaining to them. How did you learn Rusyn?

                        > Thank you for all you suggestions. I really appreciate it!
                        >
                        > Natasha
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Nat T
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2013
                          Thank you Michael,

                          I will try to do more research myself but if I find it too difficult then I may hire a certified genealogist.

                          Thank you,
                          Natasha

                          ________________________________
                          I know certified genealogists that charge $20 an hour. Your $100 and hour guy is in “left field” when it comes to his rate. If you are interested write me.
                          Michael Mojher

                          Since these are the original records, there are no transciptions or translations existing. These records are in the Rusyn language which uses the Cyrillic script. So you have to know both some of the language AND the script to do any research.

                          How did you find the records you listed if you couldn't read them? If you have more such, I can translate them for you as well.

                          A book for English readers to learn basic Rusyn and its print and script is in preparation but not ready yet. You can always hire a Slovak genealogist. There are many there who read these records.

                          You may also want to join or see the posts on the Terek family on ancestry.com , Other researchers are investigating your family, including one who claims Vasil Terek is his grandfather. You can just google "Terek Pcoline" and read some of their messages.

                          You can also try to learn just the Cyrillic script of Rusyn so you can at least read or identify some names. You can use the charts of Ukrainian handwriting that are found online. It is very close to Rusyn.

                          Good luck!

                          Curt B.

                          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Curt,
                          >
                          > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
                          >
                          > Â Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
                          >
                          > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
                          >
                          > Thank you,
                          >
                          > Natasha
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Nat T
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2013
                            Hi Ron,

                            Wow! Thank you for the website link to convert Cyrillic to English ...this is an amazing tool!!!!

                            Thank you...I hope others in the group will find this site a useful tool.

                            Natasha

                            ________________________________
                            While nothing will substitute for learning the language or hiring a translator, I wanted to recognize my family names if I encountered them in Cyrillic. I have played with Cyrillic long enough to recognize a word or two, but names look quite different in CAPS in small case, and in cursive. Happily Steve Morse solved my problem for me, and I was able to generate a collection of names in all three forms plus the Roman letters I am familiar with.

                            Take a good look at
                            http://stevemorse.org/russian/cyrprintcurs.html?font=print

                            and see if it helps you. No one else seems to care for the site, but it did me a lot of good!

                            Ron

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nat T <terek44@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Curt,
                            >
                            > I knew where my grandfather resided but I did not know who were his parents. Thanks to you, now I know their names. I did try to find more information such as birth certificates and marriage records on Vasil Terek's parents Petrus and Anastasia Terek however, everything during that time period is written in Cyrillic. So now /i hit a stumbling block.
                            >
                            >  Is there a place that may alternately have transcribed the Cyrillic church records into Latin or Slovak (i.e. the government or do they keep the records in original languages it was written in)?
                            >
                            > Alternatively, are their sources where one can learn to read or translate Cyrillic into English?
                            >
                            > Thank you,
                            >
                            > Natasha

                          • patskanovo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2013
                              Natasha,

                              As we spoke,you need only contact Ivo....? He speaks some broken English and is very willing to help you as he is decsended from the same family....Ivo is quite capable of providing the information you need to complete your research....most of which now you know.

                              Dennis