Re: Family Search

  • John
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/collection/1986782/waypoints

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kitkat99645" <kitkat99645@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to find the Slovakia Census 1869. I have played around with it now for 45 minutes but to no avail. I know it's there I just don't know how to get to it. If you could help me please that would great. Thank You Kathy

    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
        What village/city are you interested in?

        Sam

        I am trying to find the Slovakia Census 1869. I have played around with it now for 45 minutes but to no avail. I know it's there I just don't know how to get to it. If you could help me please that would great. Thank You Kathy

      • Kathy Ax
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
          I was looking for Sztraczena and Stefanovce. How would I know if I have the right record for my ancestors? BTW Thank You

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
            Here Stratena:

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28478-1037-20?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-C92:n1618476190

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
              Thank You John! You can tell I'm new at this. lol Kathy

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
                http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/Census_1869_at_LDS.htm

                Thank You John! You can tell I'm new at this. lol Kathy

                ________________________________
                > I am trying to find the Slovakia Census 1869. I have played around with it now for 45 minutes but to no avail. I know it's there I just don't know how to get to it. If you could help me please that would great. Thank You Kathy

              • Ron
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Kat,

                  If you have nonsense coming up on your screen, change your character encoding to UTF-8. That should clear it up and get the accents correct.

                  One trick I use is a listing of names common to each village. I searched out villages that could be confused with my villages of interest and located them on a map (out of curiosity)and have an Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each of the similar sounding villages. That way if I run across a reverence, I can check the precise name of the village or the family name, which tends to vary from village to village. eg. for

                  Medzibrodie is NOT the modern spelling of Medzibrod
                  Medzibrodze IS the old Hungarian spelling
                  Medzibrodie neighbors Sulin
                  Medzibrodie n. Oravu is just north of Ruzomberok
                  Medzibrod is just upriver of Banska Bystrica

                  That is my own method.

                  Now for some unasked for information. I believe you identified one village as Stefano'cz. The 1877 Gazetteer lists it thus:

                  Stefano'cz Zemplén/Varannô (Istvántelke) Now: Stefanvce (sic), SlRp. RCath: Matyaso'cz - 30; GkCath: EPERJES - 141. Izr: Varanno' - 9.

                  This indicates the one I found was in Zemplen County, RCath worshipped at Matyasocz The Gr Cath attended at the parish or center at Eperjes/ Presov, and the Jews worshiped at Varanno.

                  The Stefanvce in the Gazetteer I take may be Å¡tefanovce, a tiny settlement about 16km west of Presov off highway 18, E50.

                  This leaves me a bit confused, as this would be in Old Saris county, not Zemplen.

                  Even if this proves NOT to be your village, I would file the information under "mis-leads" or "false leads", as the wrong information seems to crop up periodically, and it makes it easier to eliminate the confusion the second time.

                  * * * * *
                  Sztraczena - Szepes / Hernádvölgy. (Sztracsna) Now: Stratená, SlRp. RCath: Istvánfalu - 279; GkCath: Vernár - 5; Luth: 16 (sic); Izr: Hunfalu - 7.

                  * * * *

                  At least thee two villages appear to be close to my father's village of Sulin. Stratena is 60 km away and Stefanovce is 40km. Stratena is right at the entrance to the Dobsina Ice Cave, a place I have driven by but not gone into. This is the south edge of the Slovak Paradise (Slovensky Raj) and I believe had an iron mine in the vicinity in the past.

                  I see you on the Galicia forum as well. I haven't considered any area up there, as it is enough to learn about my own area. I was hiking along the Carpathians last summer and was stormed off the mountain. I learned why there is "in season". I was out of season at the end of May. Otherwise I am quite familiar with the area north of you, up to the Polish border, especially along the Poprad River.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                    How do I do that? I'm a beginner and haven't a clue. Thank You K

                    ________________________________

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Kathy Ax <kitkat99645@...> wrote:

                    > I was looking for Sztraczena and Stefanovce. How would I know if I have the right record for my ancestors? BTW Thank You
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • kitkat99645
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Is there anywhere in this record that identifies the church? I did find two records with the surname Vozar and Tomecko. But the birth dates are off. Is there anyway to find out if these are the ones I'm looking for? Thanks

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                        Tell us the RELIGION and the birth VILLAGE.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                          The religion if Roman Catholic and what I believe to be the birth village of Sztraczena. K

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                            >>> The religion if Roman Catholic and what I believe to be the birth village of Sztraczena. <<<

                            The RC church records for Stratena are shown as:

                            Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Stefanovce (including Imrichovce -- in Hungarian, Istvanfalu, Szepes, Hungary), formerly Imrikfalu, Szepes, Hungary. In 1933, Štefanovce and Imrichovce were merged to form Dedinky.

                            I believe that these films of church records are NOT available online due to some records being too recent. FILM only.

                            The GC records are listed under Vernar.

                            Source for this info is:
                            http://www.radixhub.com/radixhub/gazetteers/1877/szepes.htm
                          • kitkat99645
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                              So I would have to order them from LDS?

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                >>> So I would have to order them from LDS? <<<

                                That is CORRECT.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                  Ok there were some records that were on LDS that I took copies of. They were the census if 1869. How do I know what number of film to order? K

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                    >>> How do I know what number of film to order? <<<

                                    Look the film number(s) up at https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
                                  • kitkat99645
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 13, 2013
                                      Didn't find any records for Dediny, Sztraczena but I found these:
                                      Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Rožòava, Štefanovce
                                      Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Vranov nad Top¾ou, Štefanovce
                                      Slovakia, Prešov, Štefanovce

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 14, 2013
                                        CURRENT MAP
                                        To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 14, 2013
                                          These are the correct spellings. Dediny is modern. Was Stefanovce and Imsomething. Szstrczena is the old and Stracene is the new. Your answer is to my question is quick and has no understanding to me. I am frustrated sometimes especially when I ask a question and get a URL. I have no idea what you are saying. That is why I came here to get real answers because I don't have the faintest idea where I am going with this. The bottom line is to get pictures of the records to verify that my ancestors were there. Just tell me what you want me to do, please don't send a URL. That doesn't help. Thank You for all your help. K

                                          ________________________________
                                          > Didn't find any records for Dediny, Sztraczena but I found these:
                                          > Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Rožòava, Štefanovce
                                          > Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Vranov nad Top¾ou, Štefanovce
                                          > Slovakia, Prešov, Štefanovce

                                          > > Look the film number(s) up at https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                                        • MGMojher
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 14, 2013
                                            Kathy,
                                            To clarify the place names: In 1993 the towns of Imrichovce and Stefanovce were combined to create the new town of Dedinky. In the list below are year ranges and names. That is what those towns were called in that time period. You will notice that for some reason both towns were also called Dedinky in 1920, as well as their original name. Then in 1933 they were joined together as Dedinky. For the record, there are four places in Slovakia named Stefanovce. The Dedinky one was in the Hungarian county of Spis. There is another one Spis, the other two were in the Hungarian counties of Saris and Zemplin. These three counties neighbor one another.
                                            Dedinky RV/KI spiš. 1933 zlúč. o. Imrichovce a Štefanovce do o. Dedinky.
                                            1933– Dedinky
                                            Imrichovce: 1863, 1892–1902 Imrichfalu, 1873–1888 Imrihfalu, 1907–1913 Imrikfalva, 1920 Imrichovce, Dedinky, 1927–1933 Imrichovce
                                            Štefanovce: 1863–1902 Istvánfalu, 1907–1913 Kisistvánd, 1920 Štefanovce, Dedinky, 1927–1933 Štefanovce

                                            I found no listing for Stracene. The closest to it was Stratena that was once call Sztracena. It is a neighboring village of Dedinky.
                                            Stratená RV/KI spiš.
                                            1863 Stracena, 1873–1913 Sztracena, 1920–1948 Ztratená, 1948– Stratená

                                            So you can understanding the records below go to this website (http://homepages.bmi.net/~latin/) to copy the translations of the headings in the records. Those can be in Latin, Hungarian and Slovak. This site lets you print them and shows examples.

                                            The records for Dedinky do not seem to be online yet. You will have to go to the nearest Family History Center at a Mormon Church to order and view them. Take them the following:
                                            Title
                                            Cirkevná matrika, 1780-1918
                                            Authors
                                            Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Štefanovce (Rožňava) (Main Author)

                                            Notes
                                            Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované v Štátnom oblastnom archíve v Košice.
                                            Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Štefanovce (including Imrichovce -- in Hungarian, Istvánfalu, Szepes, Hungary), Slovakia, formerly Imrikfalu, Szepes, Hungary. In 1933, Štefanovce and Imrichovce were merged to form Dedinky. Text in Latin and Hungarian.
                                            Štátny oblastný archív Košice: 191-197.

                                            Subjects
                                            Slovakia, Rožňava, Dedinky - Church records
                                            Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Rožňava, Imrichovce - Church records
                                            Hungary, Szepes, Imrikfalu - Church records
                                            Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Rožňava, Štefanovce - Church records
                                            Hungary, Szepes, Istvánfalu - Church records

                                            Format
                                            Manuscript (On Film)

                                            Language
                                            Latin
                                            Hungarian

                                            Publication
                                            Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmy boli zhotovené Genealogickou spoločnosťou štátu Utah, 1994

                                            Physical
                                            na 3 mikrofilmovaných kotučoch ; 35 mm.

                                            Film Notes
                                            Note - Location [Film]
                                            Krsty 1780-1828 -- Úmrtia 1780-1828 -- Manželstvá 1780-1828 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978728 Item 3 ]
                                            Krsty 1829-1843 -- Úmrtia 1829-1843 -- Manželstvá 1829-1843 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978728 Item 4 ]
                                            Krsty 1844-1855 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978728 Item 5 ]
                                            Úmrtia 1844-1866 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978729 Item 1 ]
                                            Krsty 1867-1892 -- Manželstvá 1867-1892 -- Úmrtia 1867-1892 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978729 Item 2 ]
                                            Krsty 1893-1908 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978729 Item 3 ]
                                            Manželstvá 1893-1925 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978729 Item 4 ]
                                            Úmrtia 1893-1918 - FHL INTL Access Services Window [ 1978729 Item 5 ]
                                            Úmrtia 1918 - FHL INTL Film [ 1978730 Item 1 ]