Re: [S-R] contacted family in Slovakia

  • Kim Roos
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
      yea! Great news! Kim Roos

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Deborah
      Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 3:55 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] contacted family in Slovakia

      I have broken through the Brick wall! I am overwhelmed right now! Anna
      Cutek(Cutek), my Great Grandmother had a sister, Maria Cutek(Cutek), who
      had children that our family was never told about, and I have made contact
      with that Great Granddaughter. My contact tells me that the son of my
      Grandfather's first cousin was named Anton Cutek and that he was a well
      known Sculptor during the 20th century. I guuess growing up in the 60's
      and seventies, that would have been "behind the Iron Curtain" So I would
      not know this Artist at all. Can anybody here tell me more about him, I
      don't even know what his works look like. ( Or even if he is a person I
      should be openly claiming as a relative, he- he! )

      I am thankful for all your help, because even a year ago, I would have never
      dreamed of finding out so much about my family. Thank you all again. I may
      need you again when I explore my paternal grandmothers' side ;)

      Deborah

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
        Anton's son is also an artist named Juraj, born I. 1957, noted as a founding member of Spectrum Art. His email address is listed on the Spectrum website .
        Congratulations Deborah!

        Elaine M

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:35 PM, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > Deborah,
        > I found an art magazine that has an article on Anton Cutek. He died in 2002. I am download the whole magazine. I will send to your personal e-mail address the pages on him. They show some of his art.

      • Deborah
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
          Thank you VERY much! That is the first time I have seen pictures . So according to the tree, I guess Juraj WOULD be my third cousin. Wow! so there are two sculptors I need to learn about!

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

          > This may be your third cousin:
          > http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html
          >
          > And some info about him and Anton, in Slovak:
        • Kathy Ax
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
            Good Going! That's great! I hope to do the same. Congratulations! Kathy

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

            > This may be your third cousin:
            > http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html
            >
            > And some info about him and Anton, in Slovak:

          • lrrykck
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
              Deborah

               Lucky you....

               Anton Cutek was indeed a fantastic and famous sculptor in Bratislava. H is son Juraj [George] born in about the 1950's was also reknown in the art world. I can't remember or cite my sources ...I just take notes on every Slovak artist I can find for my personal benefit.

               ...Ansd as I say, your Anton was one of the best.

              Larry

               congratulations also for finding and communicating with your gr8 grandma's family.

               Yours is one of the best stories I ever heard.

[...]

            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                Deborah,
                I don’t know if you can get into this link - http://issuu.com/p3klmn/docs/trikamene?mode=window On page 91-96 is an article on Anton Cutek. In case you cannot here is some of the information for the article.
                Anton Cutek. Born 6 July 1928 at Kubina at Kysuce. In 1957 he became a member of he Mikulas Galanda group. Anton lived in Bratislava, but was in artistic activities in Bansk Stiavnica and was a co-founder of the Kysuce Gallery. He was engaged in small and monumental sculptures. He died on 16 Dec. 2002 in Bratislava.