contacted family in Slovakia

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
      I have broken through the Brick wall! I am overwhelmed right now! Anna Cutek(Cutek), my Great Grandmother had a sister, Maria Cutek(Cutek), who had children that our family was never told about, and I have made contact with that Great Granddaughter. My contact tells me that the son of my Grandfather's first cousin was named Anton Cutek and that he was a well known Sculptor during the 20th century. I guuess growing up in the 60's and seventies, that would have been "behind the Iron Curtain" So I would not know this Artist at all. Can anybody here tell me more about him, I don't even know what his works look like. ( Or even if he is a person I should be openly claiming as a relative, he- he! )

      I am thankful for all your help, because even a year ago, I would have never dreamed of finding out so much about my family. Thank you all again. I may need you again when I explore my paternal grandmothers' side ;)

      Deborah
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
        This may be your third cousin:
        http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html

        And some info about him and Anton, in Slovak:
        http://www.kysuckagaleria.sk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=91

        You can copy the URL and paste it into translate.google.com, then set the languages as Slovak to English, and click Translate. The result isn't too bad.

        Joe

[...]

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
          Here's a picture and text of his son and a bit of info about Anton (Via
          Yandex search)
          http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html

          Peter M.

          On 12 March 2013 06:55, Deborah <dljillustrations@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I have broken through the Brick wall! I am overwhelmed right now! Anna
          > Cutek(Cutek), my Great Grandmother had a sister, Maria Cutek(Cutek), who
          > had children that our family was never told about, and I have made contact
          > with that Great Granddaughter. My contact tells me that the son of my
          > Grandfather's first cousin was named Anton Cutek and that he was a well
          > known Sculptor during the 20th century. I guuess growing up in the 60's and
          > seventies, that would have been "behind the Iron Curtain" So I would not
          > know this Artist at all. Can anybody here tell me more about him, I don't
          > even know what his works look like. ( Or even if he is a person I should be
          > openly claiming as a relative, he- he! )
          >
          > I am thankful for all your help, because even a year ago, I would have
          > never dreamed of finding out so much about my family. Thank you all again.
          > I may need you again when I explore my paternal grandmothers' side ;)
          >
          > Deborah

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
            Deborah,
            I found an art magazine that has an article on Anton Cutek. He died in 2002. I am download the whole magazine. I will send to your personal e-mail address the pages on him. They show some of his art.

[...]

          • Kim Roos
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
              yea! Great news! Kim Roos

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                Anton's son is also an artist named Juraj, born I. 1957, noted as a founding member of Spectrum Art. His email address is listed on the Spectrum website .
                Congratulations Deborah!

                Elaine M

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 11, 2013, at 4:35 PM, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Deborah,
                > I found an art magazine that has an article on Anton Cutek. He died in 2002. I am download the whole magazine. I will send to your personal e-mail address the pages on him. They show some of his art.

              • Deborah
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                  Thank you VERY much! That is the first time I have seen pictures . So according to the tree, I guess Juraj WOULD be my third cousin. Wow! so there are two sculptors I need to learn about!

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

                  > This may be your third cousin:
                  > http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html
                  >
                  > And some info about him and Anton, in Slovak:
                • Kathy Ax
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                    Good Going! That's great! I hope to do the same. Congratulations! Kathy

                    ________________________________

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

                    > This may be your third cousin:
                    > http://www.spectrum-art.sk/anglictina/vytvarna-sekcia/vytvarna_scena-umelci.html
                    >
                    > And some info about him and Anton, in Slovak:

                  • lrrykck
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Deborah

                       Lucky you....

                       Anton Cutek was indeed a fantastic and famous sculptor in Bratislava. H is son Juraj [George] born in about the 1950's was also reknown in the art world. I can't remember or cite my sources ...I just take notes on every Slovak artist I can find for my personal benefit.

                       ...Ansd as I say, your Anton was one of the best.

                      Larry

                       congratulations also for finding and communicating with your gr8 grandma's family.

                       Yours is one of the best stories I ever heard.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
                        Deborah,
                        I don’t know if you can get into this link - http://issuu.com/p3klmn/docs/trikamene?mode=window On page 91-96 is an article on Anton Cutek. In case you cannot here is some of the information for the article.
                        Anton Cutek. Born 6 July 1928 at Kubina at Kysuce. In 1957 he became a member of he Mikulas Galanda group. Anton lived in Bratislava, but was in artistic activities in Bansk Stiavnica and was a co-founder of the Kysuce Gallery. He was engaged in small and monumental sculptures. He died on 16 Dec. 2002 in Bratislava.