SEARCHING FOR SLOVAKIA RECORDS ON FAMILY SEARCH

  • davidsadventure4
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
      Hello all:

      I have several questions regarding searching for records of Slovakia on
      FamilySearch.org. In the past, I have viewed records of certain churches at
      the local LDS Family History Center, so I know the exact parishes that I am
      searching. Two of the parishes that I am searching are KLUKNAVA and
      MLYNICA, both in the SPIS region of Slovakia:

      KLUKNAVA parish

      Krsty 1722-1750, 1820-1856 Manželstvá 1722-1750, 1820-1865 Úmrtia
      1722-1750, 1820-1849 Zoznam krstov a Uzavretých manželstiev - FHL INTL Film [
      1739453 Items 9-12 ]
      Úmrtia 1849-1874 Zoznam úmrtí 1820-1874 Krsty 1857-1906 Zoznam krstov
      1857-1887 Manželstvá 1866-1918 Zoznam manželstiev 1866-1888 - FHL INTL Film [
      1739454 ]
      Krsty 1906-1908 Zoznam krstov 1888-1908 Úmrtia 1875-1911 Zoznam úmrtí
      1868-1911 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739455 Items 1-2 ]

      MLYNICA parish (SPIS region), Slovakia
      FHL INTL Film [ 1739648 Items 6-8 ]

      The questions that I have involve the LDS online database. I have been
      able to pull up some names online from the KLUKNAVA parish, but so far none
      from MLYNICA. I want to know whether I can search the records of particular
      book, if possible, once I have pulled upon a record in that parish. The
      typical view image when I find a particular person does not appear to allow
      me to page through the rest of the book. Am I missing something? Please
      advise.

      Secondly, are the records of parishes often catalogued online differently
      (different groupings) than the parishes set forth in the LDS films? I
      would like to be able to search the parish records books page by page, but I
      want to make sure that I have the right grouping of records first, so I do not
      wind up going on a wild goose chase. For example, are the MLYNICA
      records lumped in with the POPRAD records? Any suggestions and help would be
      gratefully appreciated.

      I would like to be able to do my research online, if possible. I am open
      to suggestions.

      Best regards,

      David

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
        >>> Secondly, are the records of parishes often catalogued online differently (different groupings) than the parishes set forth in the LDS films? I would like to be able to search the parish records books page by page, but I want to make sure that I have the right grouping of records first, so I do not wind up going on a wild goose chase.<<<

        My approach is to use the old film listing and then record digitized page numbers as I go along. I keep that index on my computer. Here is a simple example.

        Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Budkovce, Slovakia, formerly Butka, Zemplén, Hungary. May include Dúbravka, Slovakia, formerly Dubróka, Zemplén, Hungary, and Sliepkovce, Slovakia, formerly Szelepka, Zemplén, Hungary.

        Inv. č. 144
        Krsty 1882-1895 – to page 110
        Manželstvá 1882-1895 – 112 to page 154
        Úmrtia 1882-1895 - from page 155
      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
          " The typical view image when I find a particular person does not appear to
          allow
          me to page through the rest of the book. Am I missing something? Please
          advise."

          That's either a bug or by design.
          Take note of the internal page number in the book you are looking at. Then
          use the 'Browse through images' option instead*, look for your religion,
          town and record, then find your page. That way the forward-back buttons
          appear.

          Peter M.

          * Back to the home page, then at the bottom part you'll see Continental
          Europe. Choose Slovakia, then religion.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
            Dear John:

            I like your recommendation. I will definitely use it.

            Best regards,

            David

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2013
              Dear Peter:

              Thank you for the suggestion. Now, if I can just find the right books
              through the "browse" through images section.

              Best regards,

              David