Re: [S-R] letters

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2013
      I did. I wrote it in English and Hungarian as the town is ethnic Hungarian
      in Slovakia.
      I chose a name from the phone book that had ING - as a title, meaning he
      was educated and probably multilingual.
      I also sent copies of my father's birth certificate.
      The most important past of the letter was to state that if he did not know
      anything about the relationship, then to pass it on to someone who might.
      This is exactly what happened.
      I added email addresses etc and sent it registered mail (with notification
      of receipt as they have to sign for it).

      This was to re-establish contact from 1930's.

      Peter M.

      On 11 March 2013 01:01, Kim Roos <kimroos@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am wondering if any of you have tried to write a letter to possible
      > family members in Slovakia or surrounding areas? Any tips, how’s that
      > go-have you had luck? I found a letter “template” on this site:
      > http://slavicroots.com/SlovakRusynRoots.html and thought I could try to
      > tailer it to a possible relative? LMK thoughts. Kim
      >
      > Kim Roos
      > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
      > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
      > Jonesboro, Me 04648
      > 207-434-2674
      > www.hatchknoll.com
      > fresh, local, lovingly raised

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2013
        Kim,
        Many of us have written letters. Fortunate for us the Slovak school system has had English as its second language. So, most likely your possible relative or someone can read it. Another approach is to use Google Translate. It is not perfect, but if you keep the sentence structure simple it works best. I always send both versions.
        When I went to Slovakia I learned for most Slovaks their genealogy memory is only as long as their memory of meeting relatives. Which means most know back to their grandparents or great-grandparents. Sunday are a day to visit the cemetery. If you are lucky the family may know relatives further back because that have been taking care of the grave site.
        Another approach is to write the mayor of your ancestral town. You can give a family tree of your relatives in Slovakia. Since the City Hall has the records they can search for any living relatives to give your letter to.

        Record Entries:
        Image 806, Record page 120/160, Entry # 37
        Birth, March 23, Baptism March 25, Michael, boy, legitimate
        Parents: Michael Stupendek and Maria Medveczky, Roman Catholic
        Residence: Thurdos 0

        Image 807, Record page 121/161, Entry # 55
        Birth, May 11, Baptism May 13, Sophia, girl, legitimate
        Parents: Eugen Stupendek and Veronica Trsztenszky, Roman Catholic
        As you notice I have spelled the surname Stupendek instead of Stubendek. In the records it is obviously a “p”.