Re: [S-R] Re: Stubendek

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
      Kim,
      In your first posting you asked some questions.
      “Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no info?” I think you have that answered by our membership replies.
      “I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC.” To answer that takes several answers.
      To “..afford to come over...” may seem to be insurmountable, until you realize that in the period in the later half of the 1800’s a ticket across the Atlantic in steerage was $17. Which for a peasant was a fortune. There were laws against US companies recruiting works from Europe. Answering the question you were recruited by a company could have you sent back at Ellis Island. Still, hundreds of agents for the shipping companies, often people of community position; teachers, city counsel members and priests made arrangements for migrants to get to America.
      The “...afford to ... go back and why the did not stay in NYC.” can be answered by the “Golden $1000” goal. From early as the 1400’s Slovak peasants in order to survive became the “migrant works” of Europe and the world. They would put in their 40 days for the Crown, which did not pay enough for the peasants to live on, so during the “off-season” they found work elsewhere. When the cost of going to America got reasonable the Slovaks started finding work here. Their intention was to return home. The majority of them did, some 58% of those Slovak migrant works did return home. The goal was to earn $1000, with that a peasant could go home and buy “the farm” and change their families' lives forever. It usually required about three years for a frugal Slovak to save up the $1000. The temptations of living abroad meant the $1000 goal was not reached by many. So, the Slovaks could “commute” to America once they worked here once, because of their earnings. The desire to not stay here was usual because those workers left wife and kids back home and wanted to get back to them. You rarely saw a whole family coming to America on the first trip.
      My own story may be somewhat typical. Great-grandfather in the 1880’s worked in New York State for three years. He returned home. In 1893 he was able to pay for two sons and two daughters to come to America with the intent of them staying here. Thus, the four branches of our family in America was established. In 1905 my great-grandparents joined their four children. Grandfather died here in 1906.
      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Kim Roos" <kimroos@...> wrote:

      > Hi All-
      > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road
      > blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
      > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as
      > Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came
      > over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no
      > info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come
      > over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was
      > Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were
      > also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930.
      > I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather
      > and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal
      > Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and
      > who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
      > Kim Roos
      > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
      > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
      > Jonesboro, Me 04648
      > 207-434-2674
      > www.hatchknoll.com
      > fresh, local, lovingly raised

      mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

    • Kim Roos
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
        Sorry that was page 806-sticky keys! :) and line 37. It is March 23rd (I
        think) 1880. Thank you for all your links I will be diving in today! Kim

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
          Wow more and more I find the need for world history and language lessons!
          Your insight is helpful. Kim

          wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road
          > blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
          > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as
          > Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came
          > over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no
          > info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come
          > over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was
          > Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were
          > also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930.
          > I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather
          > and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal
          > Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and
          > who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
          > Kim Roos
          > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
          > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
          > Jonesboro, Me 04648
          > 207-434-2674
          > www.hatchknoll.com
          > fresh, local, lovingly raised

          mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

        • John
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
            Milos and Peter Stubendek are on Skype. You might want to try that method of contact.

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
              Kim,
              To help you in your search here are some web links to use.
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm Bill Tarkulich's Slovakia & Environs Genealogy Research Strategies is an extensive website that can educate you on doing genealogy in Slovakia.

              http://homepages.bmi.net/~latin/ This site will tell you what the headings in record page columns mean in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak. This was taken from the “Toolbox” on Bill’s site. Many helpful links there.
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 10 8:28 AM
                Kim, to answer this question:

                I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC.

                My grandfather, his sister and his brother all came from Slovakia to Philadelphia in the early 1900's. I know my grandfather sent money back to his father; I have a letter of accounting from his father telling him what he spent the money on. One thing was to buy some land, several acres that were good for farming. This shows he intended to go back eventually!

                The brother came here in 1898, and went back a couple years later. Then he came again a few years later, followed by his wife and son. He had two daughters after that; the son died at age 9. After the son died, he and his wife and daughters went back to Slovakia. I think that was the plan all along. Make some money, then go home. They were hard workers and were able to save up for the return trip. I think all the family members lived in the same house, thereby saving on expenses.

                I was able to find records of theirs from a Savings Bank in Philly, which not only held their money in savings, but also booked passage for them. In looking at those bank records, most of the savings were to enable others to come to the U.S. The records list who is saving the money and who is coming over from the old country. In only a few instances did I see the ships going BACK to Slovakia; most of them were coming FROM there!

                The sister came, got married, had two children. She and her family also went back. Both families went back around 1913. Too bad! Both husbands were killed in WWI. Two widows and four children. All the kids were born in the US and has US citizenship. One of the widows died in 1918 from the Spanish flu.

                My grandfather stayed here, eventually moving to Detroit. He worked hard, made pretty good money, and supported the family back home. I have copies of money order receipts. Even though he wasn't a rich man, he made enough to support those family members in pretty good style [he bought them a house]. He eventually married in 1922, and the plan was to move back home for good. I have receipts for money transferred to Deutsch Bank in Slovakia. However, his wife (my grandmother) longed for her friends and lifestyle in the U.S. (and I bet didn't like sharing a household with the widow and 4 kids), so they moved back to Detroit shortly after that. My grandfather continued to support the family, particularly since there were no husbands to make a living. He supported them even into the 1960's.

                One of the orphans came back to the U.S. in 1923 because my grandfather sponsored her and provided for her until she could make a living on her own. It was easy enough, because she had been born in the U.S.
                She became a serving girl in the home of a wealthy family and was able to make plenty of money (by her standards). She never went back!

                Hope this gives you some insight. I know I am particularly blessed because my grandfather never threw anything away; but also because I was able to find the Savings Bank records in Philly. Believe it or not, those records were on Ancestry.com!!

                Kris in Texas
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 10 10:29 AM
                  So far, I have not seen anyone address what was happening before WWI as to
                  why some men returned to Slovakia in the early 1900's. My grandfather went
                  back some time after 1904.

                  We have to look at our history and realize that the Austro-Hungarian Army
                  was our adversary during WWI. I did not realize this myself until I visited
                  the World War I museum in Kansas City, MO several years ago.

                  The US and A-H were on opposite sides.

                  I presume that the Slovak men at that time which were part of the
                  Austro-Hungarian Empire, may have gone back home to serve in the A-H army.
                  That is true of my grandfather. Our family had two photographs of him in
                  uniform. One of the post cards was mailed from an A-H hospital during the
                  war. I was able to go to the archives in Vienna, Austria and eventually
                  received 8 pages of medical records of my grandfather for two separate times
                  that he was in an A-H hospital.

                  About 3,000 schools, convents, monasteries and similar institutions were
                  turned into hospitals for the A-H army. The Vienna Archives has records for
                  those soldiers. Fortunately, the post card we had in the family records,
                  was postmarked with the location of one of these hospitals. The archives
                  was able to find his records and they mailed them to me. I received them in
                  about 3 weeks after I returned from my trip,

                  Keep on searching. You never know what you may find.

                  Frank Plichta

                  "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                  _____

                    John Hello again after a long rest! I am trying to refrence this book again but I am unable to follow the link. Do you know if it still available? I am speaking with a possible cousin and would like to share it but like I said I cannot open, She is  a Stubendekova whos father was born in Tourdossin most of his life and is still living so we are trying to see if we connect-very exciting! Thank you for any guidance on how to find this book again! Kim Coneybear Roos

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 20, 2014
                      The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

                      Below is info from the telephone directory.

                    • kimroos tds.net
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 21, 2014
                        this was the link sent to me last year that I cannot access, can anyone? And if not where can I find this book? https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

                        On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM, 'William C. Wormuth' senzus@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

                        Below is info from the telephone directory.

                        Stubendek - telefónne čísla a adresa | Telefónny zoznam
                        Telefónne čísla a adresy v online telefónnom zozname s informáciami od operátorov Telekom, Orange, Telefónica O2 a operátorov alternatívnych pevných sietí.
                        Preview by Yahoo