Re: [S-R] Re: Stubendek

  • Kim Roos
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
      It’s a whole other world for me-good luck!

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
        Hi John!
        The book you sent me already helped-would you be able to see if you can make
        out the name? Its Page 806 line 37-that is my great grandfather! I can not
        make out the moms name-would you try-thank you so much! Kim

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
          Thanks to this group and all the help I now have more info than I thought
          possible! (still need more-and a language coarse) :) On this book page 8-6
          line 37 is my gr. grandfathers baptismal info-can anyone take a crack at my
          gr gr grandmothers maiden name? And Debbie has sent me a bunch of helpful
          scans, and cousins still in Slovakia as well as encouragement! Thank you so
          much for my first few hours in this group I am amazed at the help! Kim

          LDS has online Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
          deaths for Tvrdosín, Slovakia, formerly Turdossin, Arva, Hungary.

          https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

          Krsty 1686-1687 (str. 21-38)
          Úmrtia 1686-1698 (str. 39-58)
          Manželstvá 1689-1697 (str. 59-66) -
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Tvrdošín)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Medvedzie)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Krásna Hôrka)
          Krsty 1727-1783 (Hámry)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Zábiedovo)
          Krsty 1689-1733 (Å tefanov n. Oravou)
          Krsty 1689-1733 (Lafkov)
          Krsty 1690-1724 (Hámry)
          Manželstvá 1697-1734
          Úmrtia 1698-1734 -
          Krsty 1734-1769
          Manželstvá 1734-1771
          Krsty 1769-1772
          Úmrtia 1734-1772
          Krsty 1776-1797 -
          Krsty 1797-1802
          Manželstvá 1772-1802
          Úmrtia 1772-1802
          Krsty 1803-1827
          Manželstvá 1803-1845
          Úmrtia 1803-1831
          Krsty 1828-1844
          Úmrtia 1831-1845
          Krsty 1844-1881 -

          Film ONLY for this part
          Krsty 1881-1899 = Film #2062269 Items 1-4
          Manželstvá 1844-1896
          Úmrtia 1844-1906 -

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Roos" <kimroos@...> wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road
          > blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
          > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as
          > Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came
          > over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no
          > info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come
          > over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was
          > Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were
          > also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930.
          > I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather
          > and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal
          > Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and
          > who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
          > Kim Roos
          > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
          > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
          > Jonesboro, Me 04648
          > 207-434-2674
          > www.hatchknoll.com
          > fresh, local, lovingly raised

        • John
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
            Maria MEDBECZKY, RC. Usually found as Medveczky or Medvecky.

            Now that you have the birth date, look for their marrigae, one or more years earlier. That will provide their age. Then, look up their births.

            If the list of church records contains strange characaters, change your Encoding to Unicode UTF8.

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
              To see the marriage record for STUBENDEK nad MEDBECZKY, you will need to order the actual film of church records and view it at your nearsest LDS Family History Center (FHC).

              Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Tvrdosín

              Krsty 1881-1899 Manzelstva 1844-1896 Umrtia 1844-1906 -
              Film #2062269 Items 1-4

              You can order the film online and it will arrive at the FHC in about a month.
              https://www.familysearch.org/locations

              It might be a good idea to visit the FHC before the film arrives to acquaint yourself with the process.
            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
                Kim,
                Since you are new to Slovak-Roots I will give you some general information about your search.
                Surname – Stubendek:
                Priezvisko ŠTUBENDEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 35×, celkový počet lokalít: 11, v lokalitách:
                TVRDOŠÍN, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 9×;
                MEDVEDZIE (obec TVRDOŠÍN), okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 4×;
                ZÁBIEDOVO, okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN (od r. 1996 TVRDOŠÍN) – 4×;
                VEĽKÝ BYSTEREC (obec DOLNÝ KUBÍN), okr. DOLNÝ KUBÍN – 4×;

                The above is from the Slovak 1995 Census. It tells you that they found 35 Stubendek in 11 locations. Following are the top 4 locations where the surname was found, they give the top 10. A lot of information is given about the locations. First is the location name. Next where it is located. The “okr.” is okres/district in Slovak, like our counties. The “obec” is town/city, it means the location is part of a bigger city, followed by it “okr.” The od r. #### tells you that prior to that date it was in the “okres” of the name give. Then there is the number of the Stubendek found in that location. As you can see the #1 town for Stubendek is Tvrdosin with 9.

                http://www.cisarik.com/0_Tvrdosin_Tvrdosin_ZI_Arva_Orava.html
                This link will give a lot of information about Tvrdosin and the Stubendek surname.
                At the top it tells you that Tvrodosin incorporated a couple of village. That is followed by the names those places have had throughout their history.
                Next comes the population in 2005.
                Then a list of the “top 100” surnames in Tvrdosin begins. Scroll down to the “S” entries. Surnames in Slovakia have a male and female form. Those ending in “ova” are female.
                It is interrupted by a map and the villages that are near Tvrdosin. You can play with the map and see it in three forms and zoom in and out.
                The last “top 100” is completed.
                The the listings in the 2005 telephone book comes next. Supposedly, each listing for a given name is given. With a population of 9500 there is a long list to scroll down to get to the “S” entries.

                From the online telephone directory for Tvrdosin:
                Name Street Address Zip Code Town Telephone #
                Juraj Štubendek, Sídlisko 158/40, 02744 TVRDOŠÍN- MEDVEDZIE, Telephone: 0907946888
                Peter Štubendek, Spiežová 300/5, 02744 Tvrdošín – Medvedzie, Telephone: 0903622934
                Peter Štubendek, Medvedzie 256/50, 02744 TVRDOŠÍN, Telephone: 0902171613
                Štubendek Ľubomír, Hlísno 370/8, 02744 Tvrdošín, Telephone: 0911936167
                Štubendek Peter, Sídlisko 123/10, 02744 Tvrdošín – Medvedzie, Telephone: 0903224789

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Kim Roos" <kimroos@...> wrote:

                > Hi All-
                > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road
                > blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
                > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as
                > Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came
                > over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no
                > info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come
                > over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was
                > Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were
                > also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930.
                > I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather
                > and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal
                > Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and
                > who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
                > Kim Roos
                > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
                > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
                > Jonesboro, Me 04648
                > 207-434-2674
                > www.hatchknoll.com
                > fresh, local, lovingly raised

                mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

              • MGMojher

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Kim,
                    In your first posting you asked some questions.
                    “Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no info?” I think you have that answered by our membership replies.
                    “I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC.” To answer that takes several answers.
                    To “..afford to come over...” may seem to be insurmountable, until you realize that in the period in the later half of the 1800’s a ticket across the Atlantic in steerage was $17. Which for a peasant was a fortune. There were laws against US companies recruiting works from Europe. Answering the question you were recruited by a company could have you sent back at Ellis Island. Still, hundreds of agents for the shipping companies, often people of community position; teachers, city counsel members and priests made arrangements for migrants to get to America.
                    The “...afford to ... go back and why the did not stay in NYC.” can be answered by the “Golden $1000” goal. From early as the 1400’s Slovak peasants in order to survive became the “migrant works” of Europe and the world. They would put in their 40 days for the Crown, which did not pay enough for the peasants to live on, so during the “off-season” they found work elsewhere. When the cost of going to America got reasonable the Slovaks started finding work here. Their intention was to return home. The majority of them did, some 58% of those Slovak migrant works did return home. The goal was to earn $1000, with that a peasant could go home and buy “the farm” and change their families' lives forever. It usually required about three years for a frugal Slovak to save up the $1000. The temptations of living abroad meant the $1000 goal was not reached by many. So, the Slovaks could “commute” to America once they worked here once, because of their earnings. The desire to not stay here was usual because those workers left wife and kids back home and wanted to get back to them. You rarely saw a whole family coming to America on the first trip.
                    My own story may be somewhat typical. Great-grandfather in the 1880’s worked in New York State for three years. He returned home. In 1893 he was able to pay for two sons and two daughters to come to America with the intent of them staying here. Thus, the four branches of our family in America was established. In 1905 my great-grandparents joined their four children. Grandfather died here in 1906.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Sorry that was page 806-sticky keys! :) and line 37. It is March 23rd (I
                      think) 1880. Thank you for all your links I will be diving in today! Kim

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                        Wow more and more I find the need for world history and language lessons!
                        Your insight is helpful. Kim

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                          Milos and Peter Stubendek are on Skype. You might want to try that method of contact.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                            Kim,
                            To help you in your search here are some web links to use.
                            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/index.htm Bill Tarkulich's Slovakia & Environs Genealogy Research Strategies is an extensive website that can educate you on doing genealogy in Slovakia.

                            http://homepages.bmi.net/~latin/ This site will tell you what the headings in record page columns mean in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak. This was taken from the “Toolbox” on Bill’s site. Many helpful links there.

                            On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Kim Roos <mailto:kimroos%40tds.net> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > I have so much to learn-thank you!

                          • krisstrot
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 10, 2013
                              Kim, to answer this question:

                              I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC.

                              My grandfather, his sister and his brother all came from Slovakia to Philadelphia in the early 1900's. I know my grandfather sent money back to his father; I have a letter of accounting from his father telling him what he spent the money on. One thing was to buy some land, several acres that were good for farming. This shows he intended to go back eventually!

                              The brother came here in 1898, and went back a couple years later. Then he came again a few years later, followed by his wife and son. He had two daughters after that; the son died at age 9. After the son died, he and his wife and daughters went back to Slovakia. I think that was the plan all along. Make some money, then go home. They were hard workers and were able to save up for the return trip. I think all the family members lived in the same house, thereby saving on expenses.

                              I was able to find records of theirs from a Savings Bank in Philly, which not only held their money in savings, but also booked passage for them. In looking at those bank records, most of the savings were to enable others to come to the U.S. The records list who is saving the money and who is coming over from the old country. In only a few instances did I see the ships going BACK to Slovakia; most of them were coming FROM there!

                              The sister came, got married, had two children. She and her family also went back. Both families went back around 1913. Too bad! Both husbands were killed in WWI. Two widows and four children. All the kids were born in the US and has US citizenship. One of the widows died in 1918 from the Spanish flu.

                              My grandfather stayed here, eventually moving to Detroit. He worked hard, made pretty good money, and supported the family back home. I have copies of money order receipts. Even though he wasn't a rich man, he made enough to support those family members in pretty good style [he bought them a house]. He eventually married in 1922, and the plan was to move back home for good. I have receipts for money transferred to Deutsch Bank in Slovakia. However, his wife (my grandmother) longed for her friends and lifestyle in the U.S. (and I bet didn't like sharing a household with the widow and 4 kids), so they moved back to Detroit shortly after that. My grandfather continued to support the family, particularly since there were no husbands to make a living. He supported them even into the 1960's.

                              One of the orphans came back to the U.S. in 1923 because my grandfather sponsored her and provided for her until she could make a living on her own. It was easy enough, because she had been born in the U.S.
                              She became a serving girl in the home of a wealthy family and was able to make plenty of money (by her standards). She never went back!

                              Hope this gives you some insight. I know I am particularly blessed because my grandfather never threw anything away; but also because I was able to find the Savings Bank records in Philly. Believe it or not, those records were on Ancestry.com!!

                              Kris in Texas
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 10, 2013
                                So far, I have not seen anyone address what was happening before WWI as to
                                why some men returned to Slovakia in the early 1900's. My grandfather went
                                back some time after 1904.

                                We have to look at our history and realize that the Austro-Hungarian Army
                                was our adversary during WWI. I did not realize this myself until I visited
                                the World War I museum in Kansas City, MO several years ago.

                                The US and A-H were on opposite sides.

                                I presume that the Slovak men at that time which were part of the
                                Austro-Hungarian Empire, may have gone back home to serve in the A-H army.
                                That is true of my grandfather. Our family had two photographs of him in
                                uniform. One of the post cards was mailed from an A-H hospital during the
                                war. I was able to go to the archives in Vienna, Austria and eventually
                                received 8 pages of medical records of my grandfather for two separate times
                                that he was in an A-H hospital.

                                About 3,000 schools, convents, monasteries and similar institutions were
                                turned into hospitals for the A-H army. The Vienna Archives has records for
                                those soldiers. Fortunately, the post card we had in the family records,
                                was postmarked with the location of one of these hospitals. The archives
                                was able to find his records and they mailed them to me. I received them in
                                about 3 weeks after I returned from my trip,

                                Keep on searching. You never know what you may find.

                                Frank Plichta

                                "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

                                _____

                                  John Hello again after a long rest! I am trying to refrence this book again but I am unable to follow the link. Do you know if it still available? I am speaking with a possible cousin and would like to share it but like I said I cannot open, She is  a Stubendekova whos father was born in Tourdossin most of his life and is still living so we are trying to see if we connect-very exciting! Thank you for any guidance on how to find this book again! Kim Coneybear Roos

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • William C. Wormuth
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 20, 2014
                                    The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

                                    Below is info from the telephone directory.

                                  • kimroos tds.net
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 21, 2014
                                      this was the link sent to me last year that I cannot access, can anyone? And if not where can I find this book? https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

                                      On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM, 'William C. Wormuth' senzus@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                      The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

                                      Below is info from the telephone directory.

                                      Stubendek - telefónne čísla a adresa | Telefónny zoznam
                                      Telefónne čísla a adresy v online telefónnom zozname s informáciami od operátorov Telekom, Orange, Telefónica O2 a operátorov alternatívnych pevných sietí.
                                      Preview by Yahoo