Re: New "Street Views" not same locations

  • boiirose
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
      If the house was rebuilt on the same location by the same family the house number would be the same. However, when I went there I found that if the family rebuilt in another location, the house number followed the family. So you could have house numbers #1 #2 #3 #55 #6 #7 #42 in a block and then the other original families had rebuilt elsewhere.
    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
        "...overall look as far as vegetation. . ."  Vegetation changes.  (1)  One tidbit that hooked me on a desire to study my husband's Slovak ancestry was a conversation I had with his grandfather.  He told me about his boyhood and that from his village in the Turiec Valley, he could look up on the mountain and see the ruins of a castle.  So on my first visit there in 2003, I was determined to see those ruins.  Binoculars in hand, I scanned those mountains searching unsuccessfully for the ruins.  Only dense spruce forest.  Later, I acquired a detailed hiking map on which the ruins were marked.  On a subsequent trip in 2006, I got to the ruins after a grueling hike.  The valley floor was barely visible through the forest.  In the 100 years since the grandfather had left his home village, the forest had grown up around the ruins and obscured them.  (2) While the valley is still agricultural, the fields are now large and squarish, a pattern
        introduced after WW II.  Photos from about 1900 show fields were long narrow stripes.  However, vestiges of these long narrow fields still remain in the villages.

        Margo

      • lrrykck
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
          Judy and Tom