Re: [S-R] New "Street Views" on Slovakia Google Maps now available

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
      Larry, to capture the photo on the screen:

      - click Function + Print screen buttons at the same time.
      - open a PowerPoint or Word doc and then click PASTE and you will have an
      image on those documents
      - Once you have the image up, then you can "right mouse click" on "save
      picture as" and then you will have a JPEG file that you can use for anything.

      I use that for street view photos that end up on my family tree for each
      residence that my family lived in. Though it is a current view of the
      residence, it usually congers up memories of those who once lived there.

      Tom Kukuk

      In a message dated 3/8/2013 4:31:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      lkocik@... writes:

      Michael

      I remember very well, the thread on house numbers...

      I also remember your comments on the subject....

      Up until then I was also fairly certain , that house numbers, being
      sequential, could not be altered.
      I have to wonder if the instance you mention, where the mayor took the
      liberty to change the order, was something isolated, or if it could have
      happened in other villiages.

      The instance of the fire and all the later built houses having to change
      also makes no sense...so like you advise, it's prudent to take this data
      with a grain of salt.

      About the Google "Street view", do you know a way to capture and save an
      image?

      In my ancestral village I was able to actually see faces of people on the
      streets.

      T hanks again M ichael, for your advice on house numbers.

      Larry Kocik

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
        No, Sharon. Go to google's homepage and click on maps at the top. Then type in your town. You will see a marker on the map (usually green with a letter A). Click on the marker and then click on street view. It's really quite remarkable.
        Julie

        Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

        Sharon Danko <SDinthevalley@...> wrote:

        >Do you have to register to use Google street views? Exactly how do you go about finding the villages and then seeing the houses?
        >

        >Sharon

      • Judy
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
          Another way to do it is to use the "snipping tool" in Windows

          Snipping Tool is an application that is a screen-capture tool that allows taking screenshots (called snips) of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. Snips can then be annotated using a mouse or a tablet, saved as an image file (PNG, GIF, or JPEG file) or an MHTML file, or e-mailed.

          I've had it for so long on my computer, I can't remember how it was installed. If you google it, I'm sure you can find how to install it. It allows you to snip any sized part or all of the screen, then save or paste into documents just as Tom described.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, takukuk@... wrote:

          > Larry, to capture the photo on the screen:
          >
          > - click Function + Print screen buttons at the same time.
          > - open a PowerPoint or Word doc and then click PASTE and you will have an
          > image on those documents
          > - Once you have the image up, then you can "right mouse click" on "save
          > picture as" and then you will have a JPEG file that you can use for anything.
          >
          > I use that for street view photos that end up on my family tree for each
          > residence that my family lived in. Though it is a current view of the
          > residence, it usually congers up memories of those who once lived there.
          >
          > Tom Kukuk
          >

          > In a message dated 3/8/2013 4:31:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          > lkocik@... writes:
          >

          > Michael
          >
          > I remember very well, the thread on house numbers...
          >
          > I also remember your comments on the subject....
          >
          > Up until then I was also fairly certain , that house numbers, being
          > sequential, could not be altered.
          > I have to wonder if the instance you mention, where the mayor took the
          > liberty to change the order, was something isolated, or if it could have
          > happened in other villiages.
          >
          > The instance of the fire and all the later built houses having to change
          > also makes no sense...so like you advise, it's prudent to take this data
          > with a grain of salt.
          >
          > About the Google "Street view", do you know a way to capture and save an
          > image?
          >
          > In my ancestral village I was able to actually see faces of people on the
          > streets.
          >
          > T hanks again M ichael, for your advice on house numbers.
          >
          > Larry Kocik

        • MGMojher

> [...]

            > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

          • boiirose
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
              If the house was rebuilt on the same location by the same family the house number would be the same. However, when I went there I found that if the family rebuilt in another location, the house number followed the family. So you could have house numbers #1 #2 #3 #55 #6 #7 #42 in a block and then the other original families had rebuilt elsewhere.
            • Bette
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                Mac users take a Screen Shot: Use Shift, Command, 3 or (4 if you want to crop and not take a shot of your hold screen). I take ScreenShots every day. It's a must for me!! I just took a pix of 2 houses in Jarovnice #71 & #70. If anyone wants to see them I can send directly as an attachment.
                Bette

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

                > Never before did I have "street view" available on Google Maps for my villages. I don't know exactly when this change happened, but the street view option is now available for the main road (highway 51 and highway 590) and some side streets into my villages allowing me get a pretty good view of what my villages look like now. Whith the close up viewer you can actually see the house numbers if they face that street. Maybe some of you have always had this before, but it is a wonderful change for me. Great for those of us who have not had the opportunity to travel there in person. If you did not have a "street view" of your village before, maybe you have the addition now too.

              • Margo Smith
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                  "...overall look as far as vegetation. . ."  Vegetation changes.  (1)  One tidbit that hooked me on a desire to study my husband's Slovak ancestry was a conversation I had with his grandfather.  He told me about his boyhood and that from his village in the Turiec Valley, he could look up on the mountain and see the ruins of a castle.  So on my first visit there in 2003, I was determined to see those ruins.  Binoculars in hand, I scanned those mountains searching unsuccessfully for the ruins.  Only dense spruce forest.  Later, I acquired a detailed hiking map on which the ruins were marked.  On a subsequent trip in 2006, I got to the ruins after a grueling hike.  The valley floor was barely visible through the forest.  In the 100 years since the grandfather had left his home village, the forest had grown up around the ruins and obscured them.  (2) While the valley is still agricultural, the fields are now large and squarish, a pattern
                  introduced after WW II.  Photos from about 1900 show fields were long narrow stripes.  However, vestiges of these long narrow fields still remain in the villages.

                  Margo

                • lrrykck
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Judy and Tom