Re: [S-R] download utility for FAMILY SEARCH

  • David Colello
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013

      I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!   I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records for the hometowns I'm interested in.   No issues at all so far.   Pictures are saved with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file that includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the date/time of download.

      Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a simple install process), there's no other changes needed.   (However, since Java has known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your records.)

      David

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
        I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
        Thanks,
        Bette

        > Cool utility for downloading records.....
        >
        > Dennis
        >
        > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

      • hmsbob
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
          i clicked on the url and it came up FORBIDDEN you do not have
          permission to access.

          In a message dated 3/8/2013 10:45:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          dcolello@... writes:

          I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!
          I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records for the
          hometowns I'm interested in. No issues at all so far. Pictures are saved
          with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file that
          includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the
          date/time of download.

          Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a simple
          install process), there's no other changes needed. (However, since Java has
          known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or
          uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your records.)

          David

          ________________________________
          No ,I have not tried it out yet. I intend to very soon...

          Dennis
          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka wrote:

          > Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what
          someone's experience has been.

          > ~ Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...
          >
          > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
          >
          > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
          > >
          > > Dennis
          > >
          > > _http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/_
          (http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/)

        • Bernardine Weigand
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
            I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
            image to my iphoto library. It seems I can get only a thumbnail. I
            see my cousin on the porch..exciting! If anyone has the time to do
            so, please email me.

            Thank you,
            Bernardine
            On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:

            > I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
            > has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
            > Thanks,
            > Bette
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
            > >
            > > Dennis
            > >
            > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

          • Bette Triscik
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
              Is your image a JPEG PNG or a tiff?
              What happens when you try to import it to the library? I need a little more info in order to help you

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 8, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Bernardine Weigand <deanniew@...> wrote:

              > I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
              > image to my iphoto library. It seems I can get only a thumbnail. I
              > see my cousin on the porch..exciting! If anyone has the time to do
              > so, please email me.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Bernardine
              > On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:
              >
              >> I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
              >> has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
              >> Thanks,
              >> Bette
              >>
              >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
              >> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Cool utility for downloading records.....
              >>>
              >>> Dennis
              >>>
              >>> http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

            • edward amrick
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                HI,To change the format of a photo on a Mac, or reduce its size, try this.Drag the photo onto your desk top. Then double click that icon."Preview" will now show on the bar at the top of your screen.Click on "File", then "Save As", You now can change the format of the photo or reduce its size.
                Ed
                I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
                image to my iphoto library.  It seems I can get only a thumbnail.   I
                see my cousin on the porch..exciting!  If anyone has the time to do
                so, please email me.

                Thank you,
                Bernardine
                On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:

                > I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
                > has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
                > Thanks,
                > Bette
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
                > >
                > > Dennis
                > >
                > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

              • lrrykck
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                  I guess they must know who you are....

                   seriously,...I think you have to have Java enabled to use it.

                  larry

                  No ,I have not  tried it out yet. I intend to very soon...

                  Dennis
                  --- In  mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka wrote:

                  >  Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what
                  someone's  experience has been.

                  > ~ Julie Michutka
                  > jmm@...
                  >
                  > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
                  >
                  > >  Cool utility for downloading records.....
                  > >
                  > >  Dennis
                  > >
                  > > _http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/_
                  (http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/)
                  >  >

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been  removed]

                • Bette
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                    I tried several time to download and use it today and finally got the
                    same FORBIDDEN message. I called Tech Support at Familysearch for help
                    and they knew nothing about it...they got the same forbidden message
                    when typing in the url......

                    I went to Ff Facebook page and saw that FilmFast Ended 2013. They
                    thanked everyone and said that "....... FastFilm website has been
                    deleted and will no longer be available due to maintain Familysearch's
                    agreements. FastFilm is not endorsed for use by Familysearch."
                    Bette

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, hmsbob@... wrote:

                    > i clicked on the url and it came up FORBIDDEN you do not have
                    > permission to access.
                    >

                    > In a message dated 3/8/2013 10:45:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    > dcolello@... writes:
                    >

                    > I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!
                    > I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records
                    for the
                    > hometowns I'm interested in. No issues at all so far. Pictures
                    are saved
                    > with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file
                    that
                    > includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the
                    > date/time of download.
                    >
                    > Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a
                    simple
                    > install process), there's no other changes needed. (However, since
                    Java has
                    > known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or
                    > uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your
                    records.)

                    > David
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Julie Mark
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 9, 2013
                      Oh no! I watched the you tube tutorial last week and was planning to
                      download the program and use it (even thought about a year ago I did the
                      painstaking task of going through each page one by one and saving).

                      Does anyone know if you have the program if it will still work on the
                      records? If so, would anyone be willing to email me the zip file?

                      Julie

                      _

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Thank you all for input.....had a tutorial from my grandson and now
                        know what to do using my Mac and iPhoto. Now it seems simple...lol

                        Bernardine (Deanie)