New "Street Views" on Slovakia Google Maps now available

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 7, 2013
      Never before did I have "street view" available on Google Maps for my villages. I don't know exactly when this change happened, but the street view option is now available for the main road (highway 51 and highway 590) and some side streets into my villages allowing me get a pretty good view of what my villages look like now. Whith the close up viewer you can actually see the house numbers if they face that street. Maybe some of you have always had this before, but it is a wonderful change for me. Great for those of us who have not had the opportunity to travel there in person. If you did not have a "street view" of your village before, maybe you have the addition now too.
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 7, 2013
        Judy,
        My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
        In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
        Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
          Wow! The new Street View is just great. It would be better if there were street names in the small villages but that isn't the fault of Google Earth. There is a bit of a learning curve on manipulating the direction of travel with your mouse wheel but it works and will be used at upcoming family get togethers.
        • Judy
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
            Thanks Michael for your caution against putting too much weight in the numbers on the current houses. I do recall the past SR discussions about the house numbers. From the looks of most of the homes, I didn't think that they would have been the actual homes from the 1800; they were just too current. But I did assume that a current-day house with a certain number would have simply replaced a much older home with the same number on that spot. So that a current house #17 would be on the spot that an 1800 house #17 would have been.

            It was still wonderful to see the villages as they are now - how the houses are situated so closely to the road, the overall size of the village, where the church was, apparent scarcity of businesses, the overall look as far as vegetation, hills, mountains etc.

            Judy

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            > Judy,
            > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
            > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
            > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

          • John
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
              It can be a struggle to get the younger generation to be interested in their family history. The new Google Earth Street Views gave me an idea.

              This morning at 9:57, I sent a family email saying that there was a contest with a prize for those under age 20 and a different prize for anyone over age 20. On Google Earth Street View, they were to determine the brand of beer sold at cousin Frantisek's pub in Senne. In 42 minutes, 10 year old Kirsten had the answer. Three minutes later, Ethan, age 28, Canadian, studying in England but today visiting Switzerland, answered Saris correctly.

              Ain't technology wonderful?

              > Wow! The new Street View is just great. It would be better if there were street names in the small villages but that isn't the fault of Google Earth. There is a bit of a learning curve on manipulating the direction of travel with your mouse wheel but it works and will be used at upcoming family get togethers.

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013

                Also, depending on the region/village, you may or may not be able to go down the "sidestreets" -- in my village you can only navigate down the "main drag."

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                > Judy,
                > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
                > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
                > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

              • Bernardine Weigand
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Thank you Judy for reminding us of Goole's street view option. I never
                  thought of using it for Slovakia. It was wonderful taking a "virtual"
                  walk down the street in Cierne Pole. Having visited there back in
                  2000 and 2002, I could easily find my cousin's house and see the newer
                  paver driveway and re-modeling...positively amazing:)

                  Bernardine

                  On Mar 8, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Judy wrote:

                  > Thanks Michael for your caution against putting too much weight in
                  > the numbers on the current houses. I do recall the past SR
                  > discussions about the house numbers. From the looks of most of the
                  > homes, I didn't think that they would have been the actual homes
                  > from the 1800; they were just too current. But I did assume that a
                  > current-day house with a certain number would have simply replaced a
                  > much older home with the same number on that spot. So that a current
                  > house #17 would be on the spot that an 1800 house #17 would have been.
                  >
                  > It was still wonderful to see the villages as they are now - how the
                  > houses are situated so closely to the road, the overall size of the
                  > village, where the church was, apparent scarcity of businesses, the
                  > overall look as far as vegetation, hills, mountains etc.
                  >
                  > Judy
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Judy,
                  > > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in
                  > 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great
                  > to �drive� through the village and see what is new.
                  > > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in
                  > Slovakia. One has to take the numbers �with a grain of salt�, since
                  > the location with the house number now can be way off from what it
                  > was during those 1800�s records. The only way to know for sure is to
                  > go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that
                  > covers the years of the records.
                  > > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something
                  > new. During the 1800�s the square log cabin style house was the
                  > standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the
                  > �romantic� view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the
                  > first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about
                  > them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He
                  > didn�t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950�s. Dry rot and
                  > termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                • MGMojher
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Judy,
                    You cannot assume that the house of today is where the house in the 1800’s stood. As part of the discussion on house numbers I found that their assignment can change. I pointed out how in one village the new mayor decided to arbitrarily change the numbering system. Another instance was when a house burned down and was not rebuilt it created a gap in the consecutive numbering system of the houses. To correct that every house with a higher number had to lower the house number by one to keep the count correct.
                    In Slovakia you will see building with two numbers on them. One number is the street address. The second is number tells you what number the building was built in town. So 82/1476 the 82 is the street number and it was the 1476th building constructed. This system is only used in larger towns from what I observed.
                    Make no assumptions about house numbers. As in genealogy, you need the record to confirm the fact. It was too bad that city hall map records were not filmed and put online.

                    Thanks Michael for your caution against putting too much weight in the numbers on the current houses. I do recall the past SR discussions about the house numbers. From the looks of most of the homes, I didn't think that they would have been the actual homes from the 1800; they were just too current. But I did assume that a current-day house with a certain number would have simply replaced a much older home with the same number on that spot. So that a current house #17 would be on the spot that an 1800 house #17 would have been.

                    It was still wonderful to see the villages as they are now - how the houses are situated so closely to the road, the overall size of the village, where the church was, apparent scarcity of businesses, the overall look as far as vegetation, hills, mountains etc.

                    Judy

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                    > Judy,
                    > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
                    > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
                    > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                  • Ron
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                      We should not forget Martin Votruba's writeup on house numbers:
                      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/housenumbersslovakia.html

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Michael for your caution against putting too much weight in the numbers on the current houses. I do recall the past SR discussions about the house numbers. From the looks of most of the homes, I didn't think that they would have been the actual homes from the 1800; they were just too current. But I did assume that a current-day house with a certain number would have simply replaced a much older home with the same number on that spot. So that a current house #17 would be on the spot that an 1800 house #17 would have been.
                      >

                      > It was still wonderful to see the villages as they are now - how the houses are situated so closely to the road, the overall size of the village, where the church was, apparent scarcity of businesses, the overall look as far as vegetation, hills, mountains etc.
                      >
                      > Judy
                      >

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Judy,
                      > > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
                      > > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
                      > > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                    • lrrykck
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Michael

                          I remember very well,  the thread on house numbers...

                         I also remember your comments on the subject....

                         Up until then I was also fairly certain , that house numbers, being sequential, could not be altered.
                        I have to wonder if the instance you mention, where the mayor took the liberty to change the order, was something isolated, or if it could have happened in other villiages.

                         The instance of the fire and all the later built houses having to change also makes no sense...so like you advise, it's prudent to take this data with a grain of salt.

                          About the Google "Street view", do you know a way to capture and save  an image?

                         In my ancestral village I was able to actually see faces of people on the streets.

                           T hanks again M ichael, for your advice on house numbers.

                        Larry Kocik

> [...]

                        > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                      • Sharon Danko
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                          Do you have to register to use Google street views? Exactly how do you go about finding the villages and then seeing the houses?

                          Sharon

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                          > Judy,
                          > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive” through the village and see what is new.
                          > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those 1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
                          > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                        • takukuk
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Larry, to capture the photo on the screen:

                            - click Function + Print screen buttons at the same time.
                            - open a PowerPoint or Word doc and then click PASTE and you will have an
                            image on those documents
                            - Once you have the image up, then you can "right mouse click" on "save
                            picture as" and then you will have a JPEG file that you can use for anything.

                            I use that for street view photos that end up on my family tree for each
                            residence that my family lived in. Though it is a current view of the
                            residence, it usually congers up memories of those who once lived there.

                            Tom Kukuk

                            wrote:

                            > Judy,
                            > My ancestral village, Hromos, was filmed by Google Earth in 5/2012. It
                            has been three years since I was there last. It was great to “drive”
                            through the village and see what is new.
                            > In the past we had an in-depth discussion about house numbers in
                            Slovakia. One has to take the numbers “with a grain of salt”, since the
                            location with the house number now can be way off from what it was during those
                            1800’s records. The only way to know for sure is to go to the village/town
                            City Hall and see if they have a map that covers the years of the records.
                            > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new.
                            During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard.
                            Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of
                            those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos
                            lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually
                            rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before
                            the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log
                            cabins.

                          • Julie Mark
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                              No, Sharon. Go to google's homepage and click on maps at the top. Then type in your town. You will see a marker on the map (usually green with a letter A). Click on the marker and then click on street view. It's really quite remarkable.
                              Julie

                              Sent from my Samsung smartphone on AT&T

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                                Another way to do it is to use the "snipping tool" in Windows

                                Snipping Tool is an application that is a screen-capture tool that allows taking screenshots (called snips) of an open window, rectangular areas, a free-form area, or the entire screen. Snips can then be annotated using a mouse or a tablet, saved as an image file (PNG, GIF, or JPEG file) or an MHTML file, or e-mailed.

                                I've had it for so long on my computer, I can't remember how it was installed. If you google it, I'm sure you can find how to install it. It allows you to snip any sized part or all of the screen, then save or paste into documents just as Tom described.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, takukuk@... wrote:

                                > Larry, to capture the photo on the screen:
                                >
                                > - click Function + Print screen buttons at the same time.
                                > - open a PowerPoint or Word doc and then click PASTE and you will have an
                                > image on those documents
                                > - Once you have the image up, then you can "right mouse click" on "save
                                > picture as" and then you will have a JPEG file that you can use for anything.
                                >
                                > I use that for street view photos that end up on my family tree for each
                                > residence that my family lived in. Though it is a current view of the
                                > residence, it usually congers up memories of those who once lived there.
                                >
                                > Tom Kukuk
                                >

                                > In a message dated 3/8/2013 4:31:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                > lkocik@... writes:
                                >

                                > Michael
                                >
                                > I remember very well, the thread on house numbers...
                                >
                                > I also remember your comments on the subject....
                                >
                                > Up until then I was also fairly certain , that house numbers, being
                                > sequential, could not be altered.
                                > I have to wonder if the instance you mention, where the mayor took the
                                > liberty to change the order, was something isolated, or if it could have
                                > happened in other villiages.
                                >
                                > The instance of the fire and all the later built houses having to change
                                > also makes no sense...so like you advise, it's prudent to take this data
                                > with a grain of salt.
                                >
                                > About the Google "Street view", do you know a way to capture and save an
                                > image?
                                >
                                > In my ancestral village I was able to actually see faces of people on the
                                > streets.
                                >
                                > T hanks again M ichael, for your advice on house numbers.
                                >
                                > Larry Kocik

                              • MGMojher

> [...]

                                  > Also, the house that is on the lot today is more likely something new. During the 1800’s the square log cabin style house was the standard. Eventually, those were covered in plaster. I had the “romantic” view of those log cabins when I got to Slovakia for the first time. The Mayor of Hromos lived in one, so I asked him about them. He told me that they were usually rebuilt every 50 years. He didn’t think any in Hromos was built before the 1950’s. Dry rot and termites were the biggest enemy of those log cabins.

                                • boiirose
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                                    If the house was rebuilt on the same location by the same family the house number would be the same. However, when I went there I found that if the family rebuilt in another location, the house number followed the family. So you could have house numbers #1 #2 #3 #55 #6 #7 #42 in a block and then the other original families had rebuilt elsewhere.
                                  • Bette
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                                      Mac users take a Screen Shot: Use Shift, Command, 3 or (4 if you want to crop and not take a shot of your hold screen). I take ScreenShots every day. It's a must for me!! I just took a pix of 2 houses in Jarovnice #71 & #70. If anyone wants to see them I can send directly as an attachment.
                                      Bette

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

                                      > Never before did I have "street view" available on Google Maps for my villages. I don't know exactly when this change happened, but the street view option is now available for the main road (highway 51 and highway 590) and some side streets into my villages allowing me get a pretty good view of what my villages look like now. Whith the close up viewer you can actually see the house numbers if they face that street. Maybe some of you have always had this before, but it is a wonderful change for me. Great for those of us who have not had the opportunity to travel there in person. If you did not have a "street view" of your village before, maybe you have the addition now too.

                                    • Margo Smith
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                                        "...overall look as far as vegetation. . ."  Vegetation changes.  (1)  One tidbit that hooked me on a desire to study my husband's Slovak ancestry was a conversation I had with his grandfather.  He told me about his boyhood and that from his village in the Turiec Valley, he could look up on the mountain and see the ruins of a castle.  So on my first visit there in 2003, I was determined to see those ruins.  Binoculars in hand, I scanned those mountains searching unsuccessfully for the ruins.  Only dense spruce forest.  Later, I acquired a detailed hiking map on which the ruins were marked.  On a subsequent trip in 2006, I got to the ruins after a grueling hike.  The valley floor was barely visible through the forest.  In the 100 years since the grandfather had left his home village, the forest had grown up around the ruins and obscured them.  (2) While the valley is still agricultural, the fields are now large and squarish, a pattern
                                        introduced after WW II.  Photos from about 1900 show fields were long narrow stripes.  However, vestiges of these long narrow fields still remain in the villages.

                                        Margo

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 8, 2013
                                          Judy and Tom

                                           Thank you....