Re: [S-R] download utility for FAMILY SEARCH

  • takukuk
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2013
      this is truly incredible, thank you for sharing it.

      In a message dated 3/3/2013 10:22:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      jmm@... writes:

      Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what someone's
      experience has been.

      ~ Julie Michutka
      _jmm@..._ (mailto:jmm@...)

      On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:

      > Cool utility for downloading records.....
      >
      > Dennis
      >
      > _http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/_
      (http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/)

    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2013
        Julie,

        No ,I have not tried it out yet. I intend to very soon...

        Dennis
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

        > Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what someone's experience has been.
        >
        > ~ Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...
        >
        > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
        >
        > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
        > >
        > > Dennis
        > >
        > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

      • David Colello
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013

          I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!   I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records for the hometowns I'm interested in.   No issues at all so far.   Pictures are saved with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file that includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the date/time of download.

          Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a simple install process), there's no other changes needed.   (However, since Java has known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your records.)

          David

          ________________________________

          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka wrote:

          > Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what someone's experience has been.
          >
          > ~ Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...
          >
          > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
          >
          > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
          > >
          > > Dennis
          > >
          > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

        • Bette
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
            I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
            Thanks,
            Bette

            > Cool utility for downloading records.....
            >
            > Dennis
            >
            > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

          • hmsbob
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
              i clicked on the url and it came up FORBIDDEN you do not have
              permission to access.

              In a message dated 3/8/2013 10:45:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
              dcolello@... writes:

              I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!
              I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records for the
              hometowns I'm interested in. No issues at all so far. Pictures are saved
              with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file that
              includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the
              date/time of download.

              Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a simple
              install process), there's no other changes needed. (However, since Java has
              known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or
              uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your records.)

              David

              ________________________________
              No ,I have not tried it out yet. I intend to very soon...

              Dennis
              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka wrote:

              > Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what
              someone's experience has been.

              > ~ Julie Michutka
              > jmm@...
              >
              > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
              >
              > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
              > >
              > > Dennis
              > >
              > > _http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/_
              (http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/)

            • Bernardine Weigand
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
                image to my iphoto library. It seems I can get only a thumbnail. I
                see my cousin on the porch..exciting! If anyone has the time to do
                so, please email me.

                Thank you,
                Bernardine
                On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:

                > I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
                > has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
                > Thanks,
                > Bette
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
                > >
                > > Dennis
                > >
                > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

              • Bette Triscik
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Is your image a JPEG PNG or a tiff?
                  What happens when you try to import it to the library? I need a little more info in order to help you

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Mar 8, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Bernardine Weigand <deanniew@...> wrote:

                  > I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
                  > image to my iphoto library. It seems I can get only a thumbnail. I
                  > see my cousin on the porch..exciting! If anyone has the time to do
                  > so, please email me.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > Bernardine
                  > On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:
                  >
                  >> I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
                  >> has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Bette
                  >>
                  >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
                  >> wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>> Cool utility for downloading records.....
                  >>>
                  >>> Dennis
                  >>>
                  >>> http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

                • edward amrick
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                    HI,To change the format of a photo on a Mac, or reduce its size, try this.Drag the photo onto your desk top. Then double click that icon."Preview" will now show on the bar at the top of your screen.Click on "File", then "Save As", You now can change the format of the photo or reduce its size.
                    Ed
                    I have a Mac also and having difficulty trying to transfer a large
                    image to my iphoto library.  It seems I can get only a thumbnail.   I
                    see my cousin on the porch..exciting!  If anyone has the time to do
                    so, please email me.

                    Thank you,
                    Bernardine
                    On Mar 8, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Bette wrote:

                    > I would love to have this but still cannot get it to work. If anyone
                    > has a Mac and can help me, please email me.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Bette
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Cool utility for downloading records.....
                    > >
                    > > Dennis
                    > >
                    > > http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/

                  • lrrykck
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                      I guess they must know who you are....

                       seriously,...I think you have to have Java enabled to use it.

                      larry

                      No ,I have not  tried it out yet. I intend to very soon...

                      Dennis
                      --- In  mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka wrote:

                      >  Dennis, have you tried it out yourself? Just curious to hear what
                      someone's  experience has been.

                      > ~ Julie Michutka
                      > jmm@...
                      >
                      > On Mar 3, 2013, at 8:54 AM, patskanovo wrote:
                      >
                      > >  Cool utility for downloading records.....
                      > >
                      > >  Dennis
                      > >
                      > > _http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/_
                      (http://students.cs.byu.edu/~jbejaran/FastFilm/)
                      >  >

                      [Non-text portions of this message have been  removed]

                    • Bette
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                        I tried several time to download and use it today and finally got the
                        same FORBIDDEN message. I called Tech Support at Familysearch for help
                        and they knew nothing about it...they got the same forbidden message
                        when typing in the url......

                        I went to Ff Facebook page and saw that FilmFast Ended 2013. They
                        thanked everyone and said that "....... FastFilm website has been
                        deleted and will no longer be available due to maintain Familysearch's
                        agreements. FastFilm is not endorsed for use by Familysearch."
                        Bette

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, hmsbob@... wrote:

                        > i clicked on the url and it came up FORBIDDEN you do not have
                        > permission to access.
                        >

                        > In a message dated 3/8/2013 10:45:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        > dcolello@... writes:
                        >

                        > I just tried out the download utility below and it works wonderfully!
                        > I'm in the process of downloading all the church and census records
                        for the
                        > hometowns I'm interested in. No issues at all so far. Pictures
                        are saved
                        > with filenames in numerical order and there's also an index text file
                        that
                        > includes the location from which they were downloaded along with the
                        > date/time of download.
                        >
                        > Aside from installing Java on you machine (a single click plus a
                        simple
                        > install process), there's no other changes needed. (However, since
                        Java has
                        > known security holes, I'd suggest disabling Java in your browser or
                        > uninstalling it altogether once you are done downloading your
                        records.)

                        > David
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Julie Mark
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 9, 2013
                          Oh no! I watched the you tube tutorial last week and was planning to
                          download the program and use it (even thought about a year ago I did the
                          painstaking task of going through each page one by one and saving).

                          Does anyone know if you have the program if it will still work on the
                          records? If so, would anyone be willing to email me the zip file?

                          Julie

                          _

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 9, 2013
                            Thank you all for input.....had a tutorial from my grandson and now
                            know what to do using my Mac and iPhoto. Now it seems simple...lol

                            Bernardine (Deanie)