Re: Janos Sugar

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
      Bob,
      Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, you probably can't find more about her family from those records. But, you can probably find the mother's family in the 1869 census. She was from a very small village so, you should be able to find her. The village was called Kazsu back then and is called Kozuchov today. The 1869 census film for this village is on LDS film 722714.
      good luck,
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@...> wrote:

      > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
      >
      > Bob

    • John
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
        >>> Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, <<<

        Gimme a hint. Which religion? Which village? Which church records?
      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
          Bob,
          The names Kuzuchov has been known by through out its history.
          1077 Kožuchov TV/KI zemplín.
          1773 Kazsu, Kozukow, 1786 Kaza, Kahn [!], 1808 Kazsu, Kožukow, Kožuchow, 1863–1902 Kazsu, 1907–1913 Kazsó, 1920– Kožuchov

          Here is a link that will tell you about Kozuchov - http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kozuchov_Trebisov_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
          I have been very near Kozuchov. My cousin was the head priest at the Catholic cathedral in Trebisov, which is 4 miles away. I visited him there three times.
          The surname Sugar is no longer listed there.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013

            The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
              Caye,
              The baptism record for Janos Sugar was from a Greek Catholic Church.
              CK

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
              >

              > Caye

            • Robert Vonberge
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                I want to thank all of you for the quick response on my post about Janos
                Sugar. carl has translated the file and has given me a film number to
                follow up on. this has been a great find for my wifes family , I now need
                to get the film and do some digging. I am amazed at all tha info the LDS
                has and will now spend time learning the proceedures ry in Germany

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 1, 2013

                  Great, glad you found it.

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                  > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                  >

                  > Caye

                • Nat T
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                    I was doing a search on the LDS on my family (Terek) and I noticed that the Terek's had married into the Sugar family and vice versa at several times. This was found in the Pcolina and Snina records from the Greek Catholic Church.

                    Natasha

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                    > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                    >

                    > Caye

                  • patskanovo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Natasha,