Re: Janos Sugar

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
      Bob,
      I read the record too quickly. The name after the mother's name if the village where she lived. Then the name of the godparents and finally the name of the person who baptized the baby. Sorry for my mistake.
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <carl.kotlarchik@...> wrote:

      > Bob,
      > The record says Janos was born on November 27th 1875 and baptized on December 1st. The fi means he was a boy. the Torvenytelen means he was illegitimate. That is why there is no father listed. The zseller under the mothers name means she was a cottar (a peasant). Then the name of the person who baptized him followed by the names of the two godparents.
      > CK
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
      > >
      > > Bob

    • Carl
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
        Bob,
        Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, you probably can't find more about her family from those records. But, you can probably find the mother's family in the 1869 census. She was from a very small village so, you should be able to find her. The village was called Kazsu back then and is called Kozuchov today. The 1869 census film for this village is on LDS film 722714.
        good luck,
        CK

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@...> wrote:

        > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
        >
        > Bob

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
          >>> Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, <<<

          Gimme a hint. Which religion? Which village? Which church records?
        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
            Bob,
            The names Kuzuchov has been known by through out its history.
            1077 Kožuchov TV/KI zemplín.
            1773 Kazsu, Kozukow, 1786 Kaza, Kahn [!], 1808 Kazsu, Kožukow, Kožuchow, 1863–1902 Kazsu, 1907–1913 Kazsó, 1920– Kožuchov

            Here is a link that will tell you about Kozuchov - http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kozuchov_Trebisov_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
            I have been very near Kozuchov. My cousin was the head priest at the Catholic cathedral in Trebisov, which is 4 miles away. I visited him there three times.
            The surname Sugar is no longer listed there.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013

              The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                Caye,
                The baptism record for Janos Sugar was from a Greek Catholic Church.
                CK

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                >

                > Caye

              • Robert Vonberge
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                  I want to thank all of you for the quick response on my post about Janos
                  Sugar. carl has translated the file and has given me a film number to
                  follow up on. this has been a great find for my wifes family , I now need
                  to get the film and do some digging. I am amazed at all tha info the LDS
                  has and will now spend time learning the proceedures ry in Germany

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 1, 2013

                    Great, glad you found it.

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                    > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                    >

                    > Caye

                  • Nat T
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                      I was doing a search on the LDS on my family (Terek) and I noticed that the Terek's had married into the Sugar family and vice versa at several times. This was found in the Pcolina and Snina records from the Greek Catholic Church.

                      Natasha

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                      > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                      >

                      > Caye

                    • patskanovo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Natasha,