Re: Janos Sugar

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 28 9:10 AM
      Bob,
      The record says Janos was born on November 27th 1875 and baptized on December 1st. The fi means he was a boy. the Torvenytelen means he was illegitimate. That is why there is no father listed. The zseller under the mothers name means she was a cottar (a peasant). Then the name of the person who baptized him followed by the names of the two godparents.
      CK

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@...> wrote:

      > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
      >
      > Bob

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 28 9:12 AM
        Bob,
        The easiest means is for you to send us the link to page you want to be translated. Or post here.

        For your information here is a link where you can view the results of the surname Sugar during the 1995 Slovak Census - http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=Sugar&c=Qdb4
        SUGÁR, ŠUGÁR and ŠUGAR are the three spellings for the surname. After the surname are two numbers; the first is the number for the name and the second is for the number of locations it was found.
        Next comes the “top 10”locations for the surname. The town name followed by the “okr”- okres/district. There can be “obec/city ...” when the location is a neighborhood in a city.
        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Okresy97_Slovakia.svg/2000px-Okresy97_Slovakia.svg.png This is a link to the map of the okres/districts of Slovakia. They are placed in a color coded area of the kraj/regions. You will see that the distribution of the Sugar name has concentrations in certain kraj.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 28 9:54 AM
          Bob,
          I read the record too quickly. The name after the mother's name if the village where she lived. Then the name of the godparents and finally the name of the person who baptized the baby. Sorry for my mistake.
          CK

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <carl.kotlarchik@...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          > The record says Janos was born on November 27th 1875 and baptized on December 1st. The fi means he was a boy. the Torvenytelen means he was illegitimate. That is why there is no father listed. The zseller under the mothers name means she was a cottar (a peasant). Then the name of the person who baptized him followed by the names of the two godparents.
          > CK
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
          > >
          > > Bob

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 28 10:47 AM
            Bob,
            Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, you probably can't find more about her family from those records. But, you can probably find the mother's family in the 1869 census. She was from a very small village so, you should be able to find her. The village was called Kazsu back then and is called Kozuchov today. The 1869 census film for this village is on LDS film 722714.
            good luck,
            CK

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "voony3" <voony3@...> wrote:

            > I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.
            >
            > Bob

          • John
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 28 11:36 AM
              >>> Since the records for the church where the Sugar family attended only has records back to 1872, <<<

              Gimme a hint. Which religion? Which village? Which church records?
            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28 12:21 PM
                Bob,
                The names Kuzuchov has been known by through out its history.
                1077 Kožuchov TV/KI zemplín.
                1773 Kazsu, Kozukow, 1786 Kaza, Kahn [!], 1808 Kazsu, Kožukow, Kožuchow, 1863–1902 Kazsu, 1907–1913 Kazsó, 1920– Kožuchov

                Here is a link that will tell you about Kozuchov - http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kozuchov_Trebisov_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
                I have been very near Kozuchov. My cousin was the head priest at the Catholic cathedral in Trebisov, which is 4 miles away. I visited him there three times.
                The surname Sugar is no longer listed there.

                I have located the baptismal cert for my wifes g'father but cannot read slovak so the column headings and the info in the columns are not readable to me.I found it on the LDS search site. his name is Janos Sugar born in Slovakia nov 27 1875 baptised dec 1, 1875. His mother is Maria, but there is no father listed. Can anyone help with the translations of the columns and there data? I have downloaded a copy of the cert that I can send if needed.

                Bob

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 28 12:40 PM

                  The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 28 1:36 PM
                    Caye,
                    The baptism record for Janos Sugar was from a Greek Catholic Church.
                    CK

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                    > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                    >

                    > Caye

                  • Robert Vonberge
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28 6:46 PM
                      I want to thank all of you for the quick response on my post about Janos
                      Sugar. carl has translated the file and has given me a film number to
                      follow up on. this has been a great find for my wifes family , I now need
                      to get the film and do some digging. I am amazed at all tha info the LDS
                      has and will now spend time learning the proceedures ry in Germany

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2013

                        Great, glad you found it.

                        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                        > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                        >

                        > Caye

                      • Nat T
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                          I was doing a search on the LDS on my family (Terek) and I noticed that the Terek's had married into the Sugar family and vice versa at several times. This was found in the Pcolina and Snina records from the Greek Catholic Church.

                          Natasha

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick wrote:

                          > The surname SUGAR is Jewish.  Hope that helps.
                          >

                          > Caye

                        • patskanovo
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Natasha,