Csutek, Cutek, Shutek, Shudic

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
      Thanks to everybody for all their help with materials to help me find
      some of my Grandfathers family. The name was mangled on the documents
      but I finally found him after years of hitting my head on a brick wall.
      They came from Klubina, Trencin district, and the original spelling was
      Csutek. they were a VERY large family there so I have a lot of putting
      together to do.
      My grandfathers mother was Anna Csutek he was born out of wedlock in
      1982 and for an unknown reason as of yet, she left him shortly after in
      his grandparents care While she went to America. I cannot find her
      manifest yet. His grandparents were Georgeus Csutek and Anna Kaluszny.
      He didn't come to America until he was 19. He never talked about the
      old country, so I am just now finding much of this out.
      It seems there are still a lot of Csutek's in Stara Bystrica nearby. If
      there is anybody who can tell me more about Trencin county, Klubina,
      Stara Bystrica or the name Csutek (and variations) or Kaluszny (
      Kausney, Kaluzney, etc) I would be SO grateful.
      I think I am finally getting the hang of genealogy, And it just makes
      me want to learn more.
      Thank you SO much!
      Deborah

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
        In the 1995 Slovak census there were only 38 Cutek listing in 13 locations. The top 2 are listed. Lany is an area within the city/obec Stara Bystrica. The census had no listing for Csutek.
        Priezvisko ČUTEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 38×, celkový počet lokalít: 13, v lokalitách:
        LÁNY (obec STARÁ BYSTRICA), okr. ČADCA – 6×;
        STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA – 6×;

        In the 1995 Census there were only 23 listings for Kaluzny in 12 locations.
        Priezvisko KALUŽNÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 23×, celkový počet lokalít: 12, v lokalitách:
        LÁNY (obec STARÁ BYSTRICA), okr. ČADCA – 2×;
        STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA – 2×;

        The name Klubina has been know by throughout its history.
        Klubina CA/ZI trenč.
        1773 Klubina, Klubyna, 1786 Klubina, Kubina, 1808, 1888–1902 Klubina, 1863–1882 Klubin, 1907–1913 Kelebény, 1920– Klubina

        Klubina is only 1 km from Stara Bystrica. Lany seems to be a village that was incorporated into Stara Bystrica. So all of the places you are searching are less than 3/4 of a mile apart.

        This is the online link to the records for Stara Bystrica. Happy hunting.
        https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-HDL%3A1807891826%3Fcc%3D1554443 - Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Stará Bystrica (Kysucké Nové Mesto) 1689-1904

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
          Deborah,
          [ pssst....what was your grandfather's given name? lol ]

          >>> "...but I finally found him..." <<<
          Does this mean you found his arrival manifest?

          >>> "... he was born out of wedlock in 1982..." <<<
          Is "1982" a typo = should have been 1882", OR a transposition = should have been "1892"?

          *** Are you familiar with St. Clair, Pa as destination for any of the family? For example:
          CZUTIK, Jakob, 18 y.o., leaving his grandmother, Anna Czutik, in Klubin, arriving Apr.18, 1911 to stepfather, Josef ?Harsava? in St. Clair, Pa
          http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\T715-1662\\T715-16620941.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=101109080309&name=Giovanni%26nbsp%3BCosta&doa=Apr+18%2C+1911&port=Genova&line=0012

          By concentrating your questioning in the old country, you make it difficult for anyone to help you find info/clues still available in the new country. :)

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah" <dljillustrations@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to everybody for all their help with materials to help me find
          > some of my Grandfathers family. The name was mangled on the documents
          > but I finally found him after years of hitting my head on a brick wall.
          > They came from Klubina, Trencin district, and the original spelling was
          > Csutek. they were a VERY large family there so I have a lot of putting
          > together to do.
          > My grandfathers mother was Anna Csutek he was born out of wedlock in
          > 1982 and for an unknown reason as of yet, she left him shortly after in
          > his grandparents care While she went to America. I cannot find her
          > manifest yet. His grandparents were Georgeus Csutek and Anna Kaluszny.
          > He didn't come to America until he was 19. He never talked about the
          > old country, so I am just now finding much of this out.
          > It seems there are still a lot of Csutek's in Stara Bystrica nearby. If
          > there is anybody who can tell me more about Trencin county, Klubina,
          > Stara Bystrica or the name Csutek (and variations) or Kaluszny (
          > Kausney, Kaluzney, etc) I would be SO grateful.
          > I think I am finally getting the hang of genealogy, And it just makes
          > me want to learn more.
          > Thank you SO much!
          > Deborah

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 27, 2013
            And, IF St. Clair, Pa is meaningful, you might be interested in:
            CSUTTEK, Katarina(24 y.o. & single) and Stefan(19 y.o. & single), arriving Aug. 18, 1898 from Klubina and going to their unnamed brother in law in St. Clair, Pa.

            TOM

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

            > Deborah,
            > [ pssst....what was your grandfather's given name? lol ]

            > Does this mean you found his arrival manifest?

            > Is "1982" a typo = should have been 1882", OR a transposition = should have been "1892"?
            >
            > *** Are you familiar with St. Clair, Pa as destination for any of the family? For example:
            > CZUTIK, Jakob, 18 y.o., leaving his grandmother, Anna Czutik, in Klubin, arriving Apr.18, 1911 to stepfather, Josef ?Harsava? in St. Clair, Pa
            > http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\T715-1662\\T715-16620941.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=101109080309&name=Giovanni%26nbsp%3BCosta&doa=Apr+18%2C+1911&port=Genova&line=0012
            >
            > By concentrating your questioning in the old country, you make it difficult for anyone to help you find info/clues still available in the new country. :)
            >

            > TOM
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah" <dljillustrations@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks to everybody for all their help with materials to help me find
            > > some of my Grandfathers family. The name was mangled on the documents
            > > but I finally found him after years of hitting my head on a brick wall.
            > > They came from Klubina, Trencin district, and the original spelling was
            > > Csutek. they were a VERY large family there so I have a lot of putting
            > > together to do.
            > > My grandfathers mother was Anna Csutek he was born out of wedlock in
            > > 1982 and for an unknown reason as of yet, she left him shortly after in
            > > his grandparents care While she went to America. I cannot find her
            > > manifest yet. His grandparents were Georgeus Csutek and Anna Kaluszny.
            > > He didn't come to America until he was 19. He never talked about the
            > > old country, so I am just now finding much of this out.
            > > It seems there are still a lot of Csutek's in Stara Bystrica nearby. If
            > > there is anybody who can tell me more about Trencin county, Klubina,
            > > Stara Bystrica or the name Csutek (and variations) or Kaluszny (
            > > Kausney, Kaluzney, etc) I would be SO grateful.
            > > I think I am finally getting the hang of genealogy, And it just makes
            > > me want to learn more.
            > > Thank you SO much!
            > > Deborah

          • Deborah
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

              > Deborah,
              > [ pssst....what was your grandfather's given name? lol ]

              > Does this mean you found his arrival manifest? >
              > Is "1982" a typo = should have been 1882", OR a transposition =
              should have been "1892"?

              > *** Are you familiar with St. Clair, Pa as destination for any of the
              family? For example:
              > CZUTIK, Jakob, 18 y.o., leaving his grandmother, Anna Czutik, in
              Klubin, arriving Apr.18, 1911 to stepfather, Josef ?Harsava? in St.
              Clair, Pa
              am so glad that was caught!!! And yes, after ten years of searching,
              I did find the manifest and it was the same one you mentioned. I have
              found the Birth/ Baptismal records for him, Jacobus Csutek, and his
              mother, aunts, uncles, and grandparents.
              When Anna came to America, she shortly married Joseph Warsava and lived
              in St Clair, PA. I cannot find the marriage certificate anywhere, and I
              finally found their census in St Clair in 1900 and 1910 ( the 1900's
              census, the name was pretty illegible, but everthing else fit) They had
              a large family there. The name Warsava was changed several times.
              Warshour Varshour, Warshaeva, Warshous, were altenate spellings on the
              names of their children's marriage liscensces. I have not yet found all
              of these children. And I have found no records for Annie. the present
              families have no photos of her<<<<

              http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif\
              2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\T715-1662\\T715-16620941.TIF%\
              26S%3D.5&pID=101109080309&name=Giovanni%26nbsp%3BCosta&doa=Apr+18%2C+191\
              1&port=Genova&line=0012

              > By concentrating your questioning in the old country, you make it
              difficult for anyone to help you find info/clues still available in the
              new country. :)
              Annie had at least 7 siblings. Maria, Andreas Josephus, Appolonia,
              John, Catharina and Steve . We know that Maria married a Paul
              Cziko,(Sr.) and their son, Paul (Jr) came to America and changed the
              spelling to Chiko. They lived in the Belmont county/Pease county area
              of Ohio. After living shortly in St Clair, Jacob, my grandfather moved
              to this area living by his cousin Paul, his Uncle John and his Uncle
              Steve in Lansing/Bridgeport Ohio. Later John and Steve would change
              thier name to Shudic, While my grandfather spelled it Shutek. We do not
              know what happened to his Uncle Andreas, or Josephus, or his Aunt
              Appolonia. We know that Catherina and Steve came together to St Clair
              and their contacts were the Warsawa's, but although Steve moved to Ohio,
              We do not know what happened to Catherina after she came here. I did not
              think anybody would have been interested in these facts but if these
              help with finding more about him, I am glad to share!
              Thank you SO much on your help, it is much appreciated!!!<<<<

              > TOM
              >

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah" dljillustrations@
              wrote:

              > > Thanks to everybody for all their help with materials to help me
              find
              > > some of my Grandfathers family. The name was mangled on the
              documents
              > > but I finally found him after years of hitting my head on a brick
              wall.
              > > They came from Klubina, Trencin district, and the original spelling
              was
              > > Csutek. they were a VERY large family there so I have a lot of
              putting
              > > together to do.
              > > My grandfathers mother was Anna Csutek he was born out of wedlock
              in
              > > 1982 and for an unknown reason as of yet, she left him shortly
              after in
              > > his grandparents care While she went to America. I cannot find her
              > > manifest yet. His grandparents were Georgeus Csutek and Anna
              Kaluszny.
              > > He didn't come to America until he was 19. He never talked about
              the
              > > old country, so I am just now finding much of this out.
              > > It seems there are still a lot of Csutek's in Stara Bystrica nearby.
              If
              > > there is anybody who can tell me more about Trencin county, Klubina,
              > > Stara Bystrica or the name Csutek (and variations) or Kaluszny (
              > > Kausney, Kaluzney, etc) I would be SO grateful.
              > > I think I am finally getting the hang of genealogy, And it just
              makes
              > > me want to learn more.
              > > Thank you SO much!
              > > Deborah

            • Deborah
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                > And, IF St. Clair, Pa is meaningful, you might be interested in:
                > CSUTTEK, Katarina(24 y.o. & single) and Stefan(19 y.o. & single), arriving Aug. 18, 1898 from Klubina and going to their unnamed brother in law in St. Clair, Pa.

                Deb
              • Deborah
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                  Thank you for all your information and links! I will have a couple of weeks worth of researching to do. I can't thank you enough.

                  I am so fascinated to find out how close these towns were. That really helps me put it into perspective.

                  Deb

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                  > In the 1995 Slovak census there were only 38 Cutek listing in 13 locations. The top 2 are listed. Lany is an area within the city/obec Stara Bystrica. The census had no listing for Csutek.
                  > Priezvisko ČUTEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 38×, celkový počet lokalít: 13, v lokalitách:
                  > LÁNY (obec STARÁ BYSTRICA), okr. ČADCA â€" 6×;
                  > STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA â€" 6×;
                  >
                  > In the 1995 Census there were only 23 listings for Kaluzny in 12 locations.
                  > Priezvisko KALUŽNÝ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 23×, celkový počet lokalít: 12, v lokalitách:
                  > LÁNY (obec STARÁ BYSTRICA), okr. ČADCA â€" 2×;
                  > STARÁ BYSTRICA, okr. ČADCA â€" 2×;
                  >
                  > The name Klubina has been know by throughout its history.
                  > Klubina CA/ZI trenč.
                  > 1773 Klubina, Klubyna, 1786 Klubina, Kubina, 1808, 1888â€"1902 Klubina, 1863â€"1882 Klubin, 1907â€"1913 Kelebény, 1920â€" Klubina
                  >
                  > Klubina is only 1 km from Stara Bystrica. Lany seems to be a village that was incorporated into Stara Bystrica. So all of the places you are searching are less than 3/4 of a mile apart.
                  >
                  > This is the online link to the records for Stara Bystrica. Happy hunting.
                  > https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-HDL%3A1807891826%3Fcc%3D1554443 - Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Stará Bystrica (Kysucké Nové Mesto) 1689-1904

                • Judy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                    Were they Roman Catholic?
                    If so, and they were married in the U.S. and lived in St. Clair, Pa., then there is a good possibility that you may be able to obtain marriage information (not a marriage certificate, but a transcription of what is recorded in the sacramental records) from the Diocese of Pittsburgh Archives Center. Below is a link to their web page regarding requesting a search for genealogy relevant records:
                    http://diopitt.org/office-archives-and-record-center/information-genealogists
                    Though not Joseph's marriage, this may be of interest to you:
                    Marriage of Anna Warshowa & John Kurtz found on FamilySearch under Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950.

                  • Deborah
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

                      > Were they Roman Catholic?
                      > If so, and they were married in the U.S. and lived in St. Clair, Pa., then there is a good possibility that you may be able to obtain marriage information (not a marriage certificate, but a transcription of what is recorded in the sacramental records) from the Diocese of Pittsburgh Archives Center. Below is a link to their web page regarding requesting a search for genealogy relevant records:
                      > http://diopitt.org/office-archives-and-record-center/information-genealogists
                      > Though not Joseph's marriage, this may be of interest to you:
                      > Marriage of Anna Warshowa & John Kurtz found on FamilySearch under Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950.

                      They lived in St Claire, but is was listed as Sckuykill county, not Allegaeny, so I don't know if the address in your link would work, but I will give it a try thank you very much.

                      And Anna was definitely a half sister of my Grandfather. They misspelled her name as Clutek, and other siblings listed her as just Annie.

                      These missing puzzle pieces are very difficult to find.
                    • Marilyn Murphy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                        The town of St. Clair is located in Schuylkill County PA which is about 75 miles or so north of Philadelphia. There is an Upper St Clair Township in Allegheny County near Pittsburgh. They are entirely different diocese.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:09 PM, "Deborah" <dljillustrations@...> wrote:

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Were they Roman Catholic?
                        > > If so, and they were married in the U.S. and lived in St. Clair, Pa., then there is a good possibility that you may be able to obtain marriage information (not a marriage certificate, but a transcription of what is recorded in the sacramental records) from the Diocese of Pittsburgh Archives Center. Below is a link to their web page regarding requesting a search for genealogy relevant records:
                        > > http://diopitt.org/office-archives-and-record-center/information-genealogists
                        > > Though not Joseph's marriage, this may be of interest to you:
                        > > Marriage of Anna Warshowa & John Kurtz found on FamilySearch under Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950.
                        > >

                        > They lived in St Claire, but is was listed as Sckuykill county, not Allegaeny, so I don't know if the address in your link would work, but I will give it a try thank you very much.
                        >
                        > And Anna was definitely a half sister of my Grandfather. They misspelled her name as Clutek, and other siblings listed her as just Annie.
                        >
                        > These missing puzzle pieces are very difficult to find.

                      • hmsbob
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                          St. Clair is not in the Pittsburg Diocese. Belive it is in the Allentown
                          Diocese.

                          --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

                          _ (http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=/cgi-bin/tif) >

                          (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) , "Deborah" dljillustrations@
                          > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks to everybody for all their help with materials to help me
                          > find
                          > > > some of my Grandfathers family. The name was mangled on the
                          > documents
                          > > > but I finally found him after years of hitting my head on a brick
                          > wall.
                          > > > They came from Klubina, Trencin district, and the original spelling
                          > was
                          > > > Csutek. they were a VERY large family there so I have a lot of
                          > putting
                          > > > together to do.
                          > > > My grandfathers mother was Anna Csutek he was born out of wedlock
                          > in
                          > > > 1982 and for an unknown reason as of yet, she left him shortly
                          > after in
                          > > > his grandparents care While she went to America. I cannot find her
                          > > > manifest yet. His grandparents were Georgeus Csutek and Anna
                          > Kaluszny.
                          > > > He didn't come to America until he was 19. He never talked about
                          > the
                          > > > old country, so I am just now finding much of this out.
                          > > > It seems there are still a lot of Csutek's in Stara Bystrica nearby.
                          > If
                          > > > there is anybody who can tell me more about Trencin county, Klubina,
                          > > > Stara Bystrica or the name Csutek (and variations) or Kaluszny (
                          > > > Kausney, Kaluzney, etc) I would be SO grateful.
                          > > > I think I am finally getting the hang of genealogy, And it just
                          > makes
                          > > > me want to learn more.
                          > > > Thank you SO much!
                          > > > Deborah

                        • t.salony
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                            Deborah,

                            >>> "We do not
                            know what happened to his Uncle Andreas, or Josephus, or his Aunt
                            Appolonia. <<<

                            May have found "Josephus":

                            CSUTTEK, Jozsef (36 y.o. married locksmith)from Kubina, arriving Aug 16, 1899 going to brother in St. Clair, Pa and *** had been here "90/3" - 4 years ( which I interpret to be 1890-1893? ). Totally unable to make out the name of the town, even after comparing all present-day places in Schuylkill County: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Clair,_Pennsylvania

                            Link to the record(hopefully) :http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?uid=13619932789221361993303496&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisgold.html&mode=running&time=1362081313316&arrivalPort=ellisgold&firstkind=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=Csuttek&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&town=kubina&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                          • martha.andras
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 28, 2013
                              Hi Judy,

                              St. Clair is in Schuylkill County, PA. You can access county records by going to www.co.schuylkill.pa.us/info then on the right of the page, click on Marriage Docket Information. You will be able to type in the names of the bride and groom. If a record exists, it will show up. The you can call the courthouse and request a copy. I found my great-grandparents marriage record this way. Cost is very reasonable.

                              I did try to type in several of the spellings you suggested and didn't find anything. However, this is a good source of information to have and perhaps you can try other spelling variations and find what you are looking for.

                              Good luck!

                              Martha

                            • Deborah
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 1, 2013
                                Wow! "t.salony" that was exactly him to the correct birth date in the Slovak Baptism records! I am SO grateful for your help. That is incredible. He was a locksmith? hmmmm. I wonder how that fit in with his younger brothers being laborers. And to know that he was here in 1890 1893 fits in because that was when Anna came over (appr 1893) She more than likely came with Joseph as her contact. And his younger brother Steven most likely would be his contact when he came a second time.Very interesting. It says he was married, but now I have no idea who his wife and children were were or whether they lived in the States or Klubina. next mystery for me to solve. :)

                                Deborah